U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2011, 11:08 PM

9,948 posts, read 7,278,330 times
Racism in Houston? Sure there is

Houston Black Professionals Claim Racism After Party Shut Down Due To "Look Of Crowd" | News One

FMC Employee: "It was Degrading" | khou.com | khou.com Local News

EEOC: Workplace harassment complaints up 100 percent in Houston since 2005 | khou.com | Houston News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | CNN - Local

There was an incident with a noose at Pearland HS in 2007.

Police: Students Hang Noose At School - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/14535753/detail.html - broken link)

There was a really nasty incident at a company in Conroe also involving a noose *and* involving a black man having that noose placed around his neck. The court case was settled in 2006. Human Resource Executive Online - Settlement in Texas Noose Case

The Houston Fire Department has also had cadets hang nooses in 2008.
Texas Cadet Fired for Making Noose | Firehouse.com

I would hope that these are isolated incidents, but they do indicate that we have a long way to go in terms of racism against blacks.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,512,074 times
I'm so glad that people on this forum have the balls to give you a rep comment and leave their name

Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,397,520 times
there is racism, certainly in good ole boy workplaces. that isn't new news and HOPEFULLY people know about it. it isnt just against blacks. what happened to the female firefighters is equally as disgusting.

but as far as a regular joe picking a place to live in houston - whatever race/culture you are you should be okay. that is how I perceive it as a Caucasian person. so you have to take that into account.

if you live in a rougher neighborhood there does tend to be race issues. hispanic and black gangs are historically the nicest of friends. but i dont think the average joe needs to worry about that

Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 PM

10,197 posts, read 10,333,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Racism in Houston? Sure there is

Houston Black Professionals Claim Racism After Party Shut Down Due To "Look Of Crowd" | News One

FMC Employee: "It was Degrading" | khou.com | khou.com Local News

EEOC: Workplace harassment complaints up 100 percent in Houston since 2005 | khou.com | Houston News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | CNN - Local

There was an incident with a noose at Pearland HS in 2007.

Police: Students Hang Noose At School - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/14535753/detail.html - broken link)

There was a really nasty incident at a company in Conroe also involving a noose *and* involving a black man having that noose placed around his neck. The court case was settled in 2006. Human Resource Executive Online - Settlement in Texas Noose Case

The Houston Fire Department has also had cadets hang nooses in 2008.
Texas Cadet Fired for Making Noose | Firehouse.com

I would hope that these are isolated incidents, but they do indicate that we have a long way to go in terms of racism against blacks.
Aww. That's so sad and very disturbing for me and I'm sure others. Hopefully, as the world modernizes, things like these will diminish dramatically.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 PM

10,197 posts, read 10,333,252 times
Thanks y'all for contributing to the thread without any bickering. Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:43 PM

703 posts, read 1,045,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
This "Diversity Overrated" thread is useless to be honest... I am not even sure why we're having this discussion. Diversity to me is just second nature and I am sure it feels the same way for many other people. Why are we're wasting our time to justify or acknowledge our diversity?
You clearly misunderstand liberal morality. The "old" morality, which was concerned primarily with individual internal issues -- honor, truth, etc. -- was replaced with a public social morality that focused on external social issues and, most importantly, public admission and repudiation of one's sins. In terms of race, it's not sufficient to not be racist, one must engage in actions that affirmatively show others that you are not racist -- such as affirmative action, forum discussions, etc. These ostentatious acts must have visible symbolic meaning that can be appreciated by others, and for which actual benefit (or in many cases harm) is immaterial.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,431,368 times
What get's me the the most is when major corporation just like the one that I work for right now is mandating specific internal numbers of blacks and females to new hires from various schools. After1 year with HR and recruit to various schools i could not longer do it, it was against everything that I believe in.

Last edited by ethanw; 01-30-2011 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,117,248 times
Its not that the people are racist, its the behavior of certain race that makes people angry.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:55 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,737,356 times
A&M your threads gotten a bit off topic. But I hope this answers all your questions on Houston's diversity & integration and stuff: Houston: Official Diversity Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:02 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,431,368 times
What " liberal morality" have to do with this young fool sticking out his black head, eves chance he got... **** I give him a blender, and I may just have to buy him a drink....

QUOTE=randian;17640827]You clearly misunderstand liberal morality. The "old" morality, which was concerned primarily with individual internal issues -- honor, truth, etc. -- was replaced with a public social morality that focused on external social issues and, most importantly, public admission and repudiation of one's sins. In terms of race, it's not sufficient to not be racist, one must engage in actions that affirmatively show others that you are not racist -- such as affirmative action, forum discussions, etc. These ostentatious acts must have visible symbolic meaning that can be appreciated by others, and for which actual benefit (or in many cases harm) is immaterial.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston