U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM

345 posts, read 627,490 times

Advertisements

For those of us who can't wait to play in the snow and for those who are forced into the elements, I would like to give a few tips about staying healthy this time of year.

1. Dress in layers. This will create air pockets and allow you to stay warmer. Think tee shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweater, light jacket, coat, hat, scarf, etc. Some people can take more cold than others, but please don't forget your hat. A good amount of heat is lost from the top of your head.

2. A scarf is great to avoid breathing in the cold air as well as keeping your ears warm.

3. While it is true that being exposed to the cold will not GIVE you a cold, it will significantly lower your immune system thereby exposing you to whatever virus is hanging out at your child's school or the water cooler at work.

4. Diets are great, but this not a time to skip meals. Give your immune system a boost by eating at least three meals, some healthy snacks and drink plenty of fluids.

5. Avoid alcohol as it will lower your capacity to keep warm.

6. Check on the elderly and the very young in your neighborhood.

7. Pack a bag full of non-perishable snacks and water just in case you become stuck in traffic. If you are an insulin-dependent diabetic and are likely to be in traffic, bring your insulin and a syringe with you.

8. It never hurts to have a blanket or two and extra socks in the car just in case. Go ahead and top off your antifreeze. If your locks freeze and you are in a crunch, grab your hand sanitizer gel and apply. Windshield wiper fluid may work as well.

I wish you all a safe and happy snow day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 PM

15,665 posts, read 15,564,879 times
Good tips...although the shirtless Packers fan, well lubricated with Peppermint Schnapps, may not agree w #5.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:22 PM

345 posts, read 627,490 times
Lol... so true, Oildog!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:27 PM

12,673 posts, read 13,355,755 times
Multivitamin/minerals.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 PM

807 posts, read 1,236,330 times
too late for me...I got sick last year on Feb 4th. This year I got sick again over the weekend. Darn weather! Blah! However if the snow does decide to show up (It better!, thought would start by 8pm but now it seems it will be 2am) then I will bundle up and go find my "skiing gloves" to go out and play.

Enjoy!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM

11,386 posts, read 17,455,905 times
Whoops, I already blew No. 5.

Maker's Mark sure feels nice and warm going down though.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 PM

7,295 posts, read 7,870,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Whoops, I already blew No. 5.

Maker's Mark sure feels nice and warm going down though.
or any brandy.....or cognac...

Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 PM

441 posts, read 782,766 times
Very important, cover the pipes, more info in video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhHr7LCVQRw

Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM

807 posts, read 1,236,330 times
I got that youtube video earlier today...Funny 'cause it's true! LOL

Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM

949 posts, read 667,558 times
All good advice from the OP. I would add that you need to remember that you use more energy in the snow and cold and your body works harder. Sometimes you don't realize it. My buddy back home a few years ago went out and plowed the 1/4 mile drive with the tractor. He cam in turned on the TV and had a massive hart attack and passed. Literary he over did it and didn't even know it.
If your out in the snow and cold take a 5 minute break about every half hour.
Pay attention to your body and if you feel week, dizzy, start to breath hard or if you feel pain in your arm or it goes numb get medical attention asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: