Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM

913 posts, read 4,343,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaClue View Post
Motion sensors are not a great idea if you have pets, no matter how much a salesperson tries to tell you otherwise. And they are useless while family members are actually at home.

As for cams and iPhones, unless you already have the phone and are paying the high monthly fees, I can't see that as being much an affordable solution either. Decent cams alone can be prohibitively expensive.
Agreed that IR regular motion sensors are not good for pets. But there are other kind of motion sensors. I can't refer you to a specific one, but i know they are there.

Cams are probably the best solution besides regular alarm. Since they record burglar face. It does not have to be an Iphone, it can be a regular PC. As long as you have an access to it, you can view it later. The footage is recorded and can be used any time. PC can give you real-time alerts just as well.

The benefit of an iphone/android is just the fact you can view it any time and basically be a witness. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:14 AM

87 posts, read 399,176 times
Thanks everyone for your input. One more question for those that have Smith Thompson, is the equipment generic cheap or good quality?
We might end up going with them and see what solutions we can come up with.
My other house was pre-wired so it was a different situation.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:18 PM

7 posts, read 20,336 times
I can't comment on the quality of their entire equipment, but I have been happy with their monitoring service - my home was prewired. Its especially nice since they use the Uplink system, so you don't have to have a landline, and potential burglars can't cut an external line. Plus you get one month free if you pay for a whole year upfront, and no contracts. I've had at least 5 false alarms (forgetting to disable and opening a door) and response has been prompt. Good luck figuring out the sensor issues, but I'd recommend their service.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:29 AM

460 posts, read 2,427,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGirl View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. One more question for those that have Smith Thompson, is the equipment generic cheap or good quality?
We might end up going with them and see what solutions we can come up with.
My other house was pre-wired so it was a different situation.
This isn't rocket science. Alarm installations are a plug-n-play commodity now. Like most other electronic components the parts all come from China anyway. Parts are not re-designed for each house. All the alarm companies, including ST, buy their parts from a few major suppliers. You can buy the same parts online, or at a local electronics parts supplier, like Electronics Parts Outlet on Fondren. There's very little that ever goes wrong with these items, unless you have a lightening hit. ST uses DSC control pads, a very good brand, and as someone already said, Uplink radios. Everyone's control pads, boards and sensors are all interchangeable, with the exception that ADT uses a proprietary smoke sensor that can't integrate with anyone else's board. But people who change out an ADT system for ST merely remove the smoke sensor and put another one back in the same place. When that happened to me, ST merely charged me a small fee for the new smoke sensor.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:45 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
Actually if interested I have my 6 months old Vista-15P system available for a fraction of the original / installer cost. It comes with the backup battery and the touch screen keypad. I upgraded mine to a more advanced one which gives me some unique automation capabilities.
It got plenty of zones, is very easy to install and is already programed with the attached keypad but and also programmed for each zone granted that you will have the sensors already installed by doors and windows. I also have a good installer and reasonable who done all the work for me. He does work for an alarm company but he does work in weekends for a fraction of the cost as well

VISTA-15P

Contact me offline of you need more information.
Attached Thumbnails
Smith Thompson Alarm Company any others??-vista-15p-alarm.jpg  

Last edited by ethanw; 02-19-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 9,045 times
First, I don't like the bigger companies because of the way the contracts are written and it all too often takes a long time to get them out for service on your system. Secondly,I agree that PIR Detectors alone are not the best option. And glassbreaks alone are not either. If you are at home, then the motions are turned off and with GB's the theif can cut the pane out. The best setup is a combination of all those devices. New Generation Technologies, LLC does monitoring for 24.99 basic and with a cell backup for 32.99(these prices include maint.). As far as the devices needed (hardwired vs. wireless), we need to know if the home is two story or not. Give me a call at 281-317-0413, we can talk and setup a time for a free evaluation.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 9,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaze View Post
Yeah I feel your pain. If I had the time, I would read up on how to program the system myself. There are several do it yourself (DIY) forums on home security systems.

How do you think I felt after paying $49 to watch a guy install a door sensor (wireless) in about 5 minutes?
There is no need to feel pain... depending on what brand of system you have the part alone cost between 26-35 dollars. The tech was paid $5 for installing that part. So the made between $9-18 dollars on which they still have to pay taxes. Big companies normally charge about $75 wireless contact and about $125 wireless motion or glassbreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston