Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 03:51 PM

19 posts, read 69,114 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are moving to the Houston area and can't decide between Northampton or MNW. Coming from a high altitude desert wasteland <g> we have fallen in love with the greenery and the huge trees. Both areas have this. Both areas also have access to good shopping.

I guess my question is, which would you choose and why? Commute isn't an issue, but I do wonder about access in and out of the Northampton area. I understand they're widening Kyukendahl? Is the railroad track alongside Root Rd. an issue? And how will the proposed Grand Parkway affect the traffic and three schools (elem, middle, and high) zoned for Northampton? How far would you have to drive to get to the nearest store?

I'm a bit more familiar with MNW, and know the shopping there, and the basic traffic patterns of the area. Anything else I should know about either of these areas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 PM

239 posts, read 638,813 times
We were very recently looking at homes out there too. Love, love, love Northampton Forest, but it took us 40 minutes to go the 4 miles from there to I-45 on a late Saturday afternoon! I cannot even imagine what it must be like on weekdays during rush hours!

The railroad is big issue, IMO. That's very close to those homes.

It's clear that they are doing a lot of roadwork out there now, but it's going to change the entire personality of what we like about the area. From what I can tell of the maps, the Grand is going to impact it in a big way. Not to mention the nightmare of all of those construction trucks for the highway clogging those already very limited small roads as the GPwky is being built, all of the road closures, detours, etc. .

For what they'll gain in eventual accessibility out there, they'll lose in serenity and overall lifestyle. Sad, really.

As for Memorial Northwest, I know a lot of people like it, but I personally find it to be very claustrophobic and even a bit creepy. A big part of that feeling comes from those enormous houses all crammed together on small lots. But there is something else about it I just cannot seem to put my finger on. I really wanted it to work for us, but...no. Even considered Shannon Forest, next door to MNW, simply because of the larger lot-to-house ratio. But once again, that same "something" is just off about it.

Last edited by GettaClue; 02-22-2011 at 04:37 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 05:55 PM

23,961 posts, read 15,059,733 times
The area around Northampton will be a growth area. Memorial Northwest area is already built out. No construction here. Check out Huntwick and Champions, too. Everyone badmouths 1960, but the recent traffic improvements will make it better than living in the next construction zone.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,286 times
Northampton is definitely further removed, but closer to some things like Woodlands Mall, etc. I have heard people out there seem to think Klein High is better, at least that is the impression I have gotten, but that is all it is. I can't say if there is any validity to that really.

Northampton has the larger lots and Memorial NW has some sections where they built those big brick houses by Goettee that are not trimmed out well and are way too close together, depends on the section you are in.

The thing about MNW is the area is somewhat built out, especially for the areas zoned to the elementary school and middle school, so that provides some stability. You never know what will pop up around Northampton.

At the end of the day 6 to one, half a dozen to the other.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 PM

19 posts, read 69,114 times
Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone know if there are plans to add to Klein Oaks? I read somewhere that the capacity of the building is 3k students, and last year's enrollment was over by almost three hundred. How about a new high school? I'll have an 11th grader next year, so I'm looking at either a kid in a school undergoing construction or a crowded one...

Are there any Northampton residents that would like to chime in on what it's like to live there? What do you like the most about it? And the least?

What about Memorial Northwest residents?

Thanks again! I've learned a lot about Houston from the very informative threads on this board. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston