U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,820 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am so confused. Houston is so large compared to Pensacola, FL, which is where I have spent all of my life.

A little background, I was facing a lay off March 31, 2011, so I decided to take an offer to relocate to another part of my company in Houston, 4848 Loop Central Circle. I will know no one in Houston, all of my family is in FL.

I have read through the boards but there is just so much information to soak in... so I have some questions tailored to me that I hope someone can answer.

1. Best area to live for a single, no kids, female who does not party but still enjoys somewhat of a night life?

2. Safest area as of recently for the Houston area? (i understand everywhere is going to have crime, but I do not want to worry about a gang fight outside of my door.) (Apartments are my focus)

3. I would like for my monthly apartment rent to be around $600-$700 ...hopefully this can get me a nice apartment. So any area that can help me achieve this rent would be lovely.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that are made! :=)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,277,449 times
Check the Gables at Pin Oak apartments at 4848 Pin Oak Park Drive. My sister lived there when she worked at Universal Ensco in the same building you are talking about. The apartments are practically walking distance to the building. It is in a great area right next to Bellaire and close to the Uptown/Galleria and Midtown areas for nightlife. Good luck to you Sheeni and welcome home to Houston.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM

wow, the Marquis at Pin Oaks look really nice! The monthly cost would be really pushing it. but Im definitely calling them tomorrow and finding out if there are any specials going on.

I have also heard good things whiling tooling around the internet about Uptown/Midtown...so many little areas. Haha this is going to be a blast finding the right spot! :-/

Old 02-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeni View Post
wow, the Marquis at Pin Oaks look really nice! The monthly cost would be really pushing it. but Im definitely calling them tomorrow and finding out if there are any specials going on.

I have also heard good things whiling tooling around the internet about Uptown/Midtown...so many little areas. Haha this is going to be a blast finding the right spot! :-/
Sheeni, I am glad that you liked it. I am sorry that I forgot about the name change. It is a little pricey, but it is well worth the cost.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM

953 posts, read 2,397,754 times
You can live next door to me in Willowbend. Seriously though, in case you might not want to live right next to your office building. There is Montrose and the Heights that is quite popular for yuppies and laidback folks in the mix. These are close to night life on Washington Ave and my favorite, Onion Creek Cafe on White Oak. Downtown and Midtown are still great for night life with a strong urban environment. Come visit and take a look around.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 PM

6 posts, read 11,538 times
Don't worry. You will be able to find something. My husband and I moved from the Pensacola area leaving our family behind too. That was 10 years ago and I love it here. So much opportunity compared to P'cola. The only thing you will miss besides your family is the traffic there and of course the beach. I am unsure about rent amounts and the single life since we have had 2 children since then and moved to the suburbs, but you should be able to find what you are looking for here.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Ty Sanders, i have a feeling i will really like the area!

Biker4life, i definitely hope to be visiting the area this weekend...but i may end up living in a hotel for a week or 2 until i can find an apartment. I will keep all of these areas in mind! Thanks all for the responses so far.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM

8,988 posts, read 14,665,561 times
Stay in one of those extended stay hotels while you are looking - it is cheaper that way. Just google extended stay Houston.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
I live in the Uptown/Galleria area on Westheimer and its decent. Close to everything, between 4 freeways, and really close to the nice areas of Uptown and the inner loop around Kirby drive.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeni View Post
Ty Sanders, i have a feeling i will really like the area!

Biker4life, i definitely hope to be visiting the area this weekend...but i may end up living in a hotel for a week or 2 until i can find an apartment. I will keep all of these areas in mind! Thanks all for the responses so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Stay in one of those extended stay hotels while you are looking - it is cheaper that way. Just google extended stay Houston.
There is an extended stay hotel located right by Loop Central Drive and the West Loop(IH-610). That is right by your job and the Marquis at Pin Oak Apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or