Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:36 PM

20 posts, read 91,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's going to be wet for the next couple days - get used to rain - and be careful.
Hubby will be driving tomorrow from SA to Houston.....are there any areas between that have flash flooding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
I would think I-10 will be OK, but proceed with caution.

I was reminded again today how most drivers here tend to put getting to their destination safely over getting there quickly. Don't be in a hurry and you'll be all right. If you can't see the road because it's underwater, assume that you're not going to get across. You could do a lot worse than failing to get across, like flooding out your car or drowning. That is not what you came to Texas to do, so be patient and get on higher ground. Flash flooding is worse in the interior of Texas rather than in Houston or along the coast because there are no low-lying areas in between hills that collect runoff water and can start flooding in a matter of minutes if heavy rain stays around for any appreciable length of time. On freeways, the frontage/service roads (in Houston we call them "feeder roads" or "feeders") will usually flood before the main lanes, because the latter are typically built up to help keep them from going under water. The feeders along Beltway 8 west seem to collect water, as do some of them along Loop 610 south.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 AM

98 posts, read 349,882 times
around san antonio it flash floods really quickly & it's really dangerous. the worst rain/storms in southeast texas are when the atmosphere starts really heating up in the mid-afternoon. personally, i absolutely cannot drive in the rain (phobia after a bad car-wreck 17 years ago)... just be careful & take your time, and definitely keep your distance from other drivers (& be aware of others, too). if a road is covered with water, or if it's too dark, stop & wait or turn around. if you can't see the pavement, we say "turn around, don't drown" around here. it's true! you never know, especially after all the rain lately, if there's a massive rainwater-covered sinkhole or something.
be safe!

Last edited by groens; 07-26-2007 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 07-26-2007, 06:43 AM

Default thanks for the warnings

thanks for the heads up on what to watch out for during rain/flood. Now assuming hubby makes it safely from SA to Houston today where would he go to listen to live jazz? He isnt into the "club" scene, but he would go for live/smooth jazz. Also, any really good seafood or creole restaurants?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but there seem to be more blues venues than jazz here. Tonight is the Houston Blues Society Monthly Jam (at the Big Easy in Rice Village), as a matter of fact. But, Cézanne (Montrose, upstairs above the Black Labrador Pub) and the Red Cat Jazz Café (downtown) are good jazz venues. There's also Skybar (Montrose), a "bar" with a view, but they've got a dress code so I've only been there once or twice.

Tonight's and upcoming shows in and around Houston:
JazzHouston | Events | Shows
KPFT 90.1 FM Houston: Weekly Concert Calendar (broken link)
ArtsHound - Events

And the international jazz fest is in August so he may be in luck there... I think. Ah, yes... 17th Annual - Houston International Jazz Festival (broken link)

The music scene, like everything else, is kind of diffuse here. If he sees something that interests him, tell him to pay attention to where the venue is located. Houston is the kind of place where you have to know what you'd like to do and where you'd like to go before you leave the house. Plot points on a map, or better yet, take along a key map! Just kidding! (not really

Old 07-26-2007, 01:57 PM

168 posts, read 770,217 times
For seafood/cajun there's Pappadeaux all around town, Treebeard's downtown does good etouffee, the Aquarium in downtown and on Kemah Boardwalk has great food and is fun because they have beautiful aquariums, there used to be a cajun place on Richmond Avenue close to the Galleria just inside the 610 Loop, sorry but I can't remember the name and just hope it's still there, Gaido's in Galveston if you make it that far. There's a lot of choices here for both since we're close to LA and the Gulf. I don't think much of Joe's Crab Shack but have friends that rave about the crawfish and that restaurant is all over town too.

Whatever part of town you're in just ask someone handy what their favorite place is. Chances are you'll stumble on something pretty good.

Don't forget the steak and TexMex!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:48 PM

13 posts, read 44,471 times
Too funny! I just moved to Houston two weeks ago, and while I was heading into the store yesterday my daughter said "look, a car from Mississppi and one from Michigan". Maybe it was your husband!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Houston we have a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsness299 View Post
We have not moved yet and due to family obligations our plans may have to be put on hold for a year. My company was bought out and the thought of having to look for another job here is very depressing to me. There seems to be so many more opportunities in TX.

I hear that the weather there is really humid during the summer but when we went in late April it was beautiful. I would trade the heat for our snow anyday.

Heard any news from your husband and what he thinks about TX so far?
Ummm, not quite sure how to say this, but hubby and kids are loving it so much there that now they are not coming home until the 15(that makes 3 weeks instead of the original 2 planned) and even with that they are trying to scheme a way to stay yet longer.......Hubby said the Woodlands is one of the most beautiful areas hes seen in a very long time. He then met a builder through his nephew who showed him a fab house on Lake Conroe that he said he would normally rent for 1800/mo but if he wanted to pay a year up front he would let him have it for 9600($800). Thats less than we pay for a mortgage on a house 1/2 the size in an area thats not nearly as nice here in MI. He said the people so far have gone out of their way to be nice and friendly and the entire vibe is just chilled out. He also went to a restaurant in San Antonio called Louie Ladeux, had their gumbo and then told me I might as well start calling my gumbo seafood soup!! He then thanked God his mama wasnt there because he said he would have slapped her!! Maybe its better he stays there? Well long story longer, they'll be heading back this way soon with very long faces, but hopefully he will be invigorated enough to get us moving outta here!!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:55 PM

168 posts, read 770,217 times
Glad everyone is having a good time and hope to hear from you soon with good (moving) news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston