U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 21,269 times
Default community pool vs. private pool

Hello -

I am from the cold north (where there is still snow on the ground) and moving to the Houston area this summer. I would like some opinons on the community pool vs private pool.

I have 2 kids ages 15(boy) and 10(girl).

Here are the pros and cons as I see them

Pros Cons
Community taken care of by HOA not open all year
lifeguards? share the pool
meet neighbors faster? guest fees

Private right out the backyard maintenance by me/service
open when I want I'm the lifeguard
less lawn to mow more mosquitoes???
fun place for kids/friends possible HOA$ and pool$
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 AM

9,917 posts, read 7,032,506 times
One con you forget - liability...

I would never have a pool given our sue happy society and the fact that kids climb fences to get to them.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 PM

53 posts, read 96,515 times
All the people I know that have pools used it quite extensively in the first couple of years and then slacked off big time. Now, like the other poster said it is a liability not only for our litigious society but also maintenance and possibly hurting your resell value if a potential home buyer doesn't want a pool.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM

460 posts, read 1,381,333 times
If you're going to heat the pool (so you can use it year around), and YOU intend to use it when the kids aren't, and after they've grown, your own pool can be a good deal (but a maintenance chore, and some expense). Of course, you can always pay to have it cleaned, as well as adding automation to help you.

If you're ONLY getting it for the kids, it would be a lot easier to have them to go to the community pool.

Some families WANT to have the pool in their backyard so they control the environment. Families that do this successfully make it a point to have lots of other kids over so their children don't feel isolated. Kids don't much like to swim alone.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
fnh

948 posts, read 838,384 times
We bought a house literally steps away from our community pool, the proximity a major factor in our choice. It's very convenient, like having our own pool but without the maintenance, expense and worry. It's true that it would be nice to be able to swim whenever you want, but depending on the hours you may find that whenever you want typically coincides with the community pool hours. Ours has a very generous operating schedule plus key-access for adults to swim laps after-hours. Also, I appreciate having an extra set of eyes a lifeguard provides, and the kids enjoy having other kids around as long as it isn't too crowded (ours never is.) But, my kids are younger.

ADDED: BTW, our community pool doesn't have guest fees. Is this common?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM

19 posts, read 37,685 times
We are from the north too, have lived here four years and have a pool. Absolutely love our pool!!

Our first house here did not have a pool, but the subdivision had an awesome pool complex. Our kids were 9 and 12. They loved it the first year but then after that, they got bored with it and it became a hassel to pack everything up in the car and go there. Also, the HOA was very good about cleaniless. There were many incidents of "fecal contamination"(which also included vomit) due to all the little kids having accidents and when this happened, they had to close the pools for 24 hours...something to think about with community pools.

With our second house, we built our own pool. It is a salt water pool which is very low maintenance. The salt generator makes the chlorine so you never have to buy chlorine. It is so nice to just walk out the back door to swim. Homeowners insurance has not been much higher with the pool, we keep our fence locked and no one has jumped the fence yet as an earlier mentioned. Electricity bill will go up, but that is not a problem for us. Also, it is just so relaxing just to sit by the pool and look at it.

Getting a pool has been a definite plus for us.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM

521 posts, read 661,721 times
bananas6 - If you don't mind, would you share what would it cost to build a salk water pool and the maintenances that requires with it? When you say 'low maintenance', what does that mean? What kind of maintenance that you need to do for sal water pool. If you're going to hire someone from outside to do the maintenance, what would it cost?
I really love to have my own pool, but I dreaded the maitenance. So having a low maintenance pool sounds like a good idea. I'd appreciate if you can share.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:39 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,358,840 times
No intent to rain on anyones parade but I just built a pool and we decided against the salt water pool.

Get you a really good pool company who will educate you rather than taking your money. Such a pool company if wants to stay in business I am sure they will do their best to educate their potential customers. I had such a great experience with Flamingo Custom Pools - Tomball, TX 77377 - Flamingo Pools, Tomball, TX,

Call few reputable pool companies and have them explain you. And here are some facts about salt water pool including maintenance. The fact that the salt water corrodes everything in time was a big no no for us.

Seven Secrets Salt Water Pool Sellers Don't Want You To Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
bananas6 - If you don't mind, would you share what would it cost to build a salk water pool and the maintenances that requires with it? When you say 'low maintenance', what does that mean? What kind of maintenance that you need to do for sal water pool. If you're going to hire someone from outside to do the maintenance, what would it cost?
I really love to have my own pool, but I dreaded the maitenance. So having a low maintenance pool sounds like a good idea. I'd appreciate if you can share.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Just random thoughts --

Pros of owning a cool: Can go skinny dipping with the spouse
Con of owning a pool: Your 15 year old will go skinny dipping with friends / lady friends
Con: You could have spent that $60k on a lot of other stuff
Con: Enormous amount of liability
Con: If you get sick of it, you still have to spend countless hours maintaining it
Con: When you go on vacation, it will probably turn green
Con: When something breaks, it's expensive to fix
Con: You'll spend your Saturday after every storm cleaning all the crap out of it
Pro: Can swim when you want
Con: More fun swimming with others

Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,358,840 times
Do you own a pool? Just curious about you assessment Or it was after a random beer Kidding mate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Just random thoughts --

Pros of owning a cool: Can go skinny dipping with the spouse
Con of owning a pool: Your 15 year old will go skinny dipping with friends / lady friends
Con: You could have spent that $60k on a lot of other stuff
Con: Enormous amount of liability
Con: If you get sick of it, you still have to spend countless hours maintaining it
Con: When you go on vacation, it will probably turn green
Con: When something breaks, it's expensive to fix
Con: You'll spend your Saturday after every storm cleaning all the crap out of it
Pro: Can swim when you want
Con: More fun swimming with others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston