Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:10 PM
FDO FDO started this thread

105 posts, read 315,052 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know that the property taxes are high in Houston and houses are cheap. But is food really cheap around here? I am not talking about eating out but more like going to supermarkets and buy food. Most people say in general, the cost of living in Houston is cheaper but i am not sure if this is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 02:25 PM

97 posts, read 265,821 times
Utilities are much cheaper (I used to live in California)..and I noticed the groceries are cheaper..but overall it is in my opinion, cheaper living..except for..as you guessed..taxes. I just posted up on this forum about finding out our mortgage is much higher because of taxes..the katy isd school taxes are ridiculous.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:59 PM

164 posts, read 364,292 times
Water here is a lot more expensive than DC. I was shocked to see my water bill. The food price is about the same as other places. Costco is the same price.
Cost of living is lower in Houston means the house price is lower. It is about the half price of DC.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:04 PM

322 posts, read 709,946 times
It is cheaper here than New England. And cheaper than in Las Vegas. Food and gas prices are higher.

New York school and property taxes are higher, however in upstate NY, home prices are lower. Vegas house prices are about the same as here, but property taxes are very very small, not re-assessed since the early 80s when the state passed higher corporate gaming taxes to pay for our roads and schools.

For this, Californians found Las Vegas a bargain indeed.

I find Fort Worth and other parts of Texas cheaper than Houston, mostly in entertainment, restaurants and clothing/shoes, but Houston has way too many options to spend that money!

Salaries are higher here than in Las Vegas, I've noticed.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
In Houston, you have the option of shopping in not as nice neighborhoods for cheaper groceries. For example, when I lived in Sugar Land, I would shop at the FoodTown on Kirkwood and Bissonnet. This would save me a lot. When I lived in Chicago, there was no difference between shopping in a rougher neighborhood as opposed to a nice one.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:37 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_residents View Post
Water here is a lot more expensive than DC. I was shocked to see my water bill. The food price is about the same as other places. Costco is the same price.
Cost of living is lower in Houston means the house price is lower. It is about the half price of DC.
I'm curious how cheap your water was in DC or how much your paying here? My water bill ran $35 last month in MUD and $65 in City of Houston.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
I don't know why our food would be much higher or lower.

Here, it does depend on where you shop and your priorities. Like crbcrbrgv said, you can do all your shopping at Food Town and save a lot of money. I do a hybrid, low-prority items at the 99 Cent Only Store, while shopping the higher end grocery stores for higher-priority items - with Costco for other items. From what others have said, it sounds like those options are in a lot of other parts of the country.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:06 PM

164 posts, read 364,292 times
Water bill is around 120 per quarter in northern VA. Since the water price is so low, Fairfax Water bills people every quarter.

Here in Houston monthly water bill is about 120. So it is three times more expensive. I am comparing the same size of lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I'm curious how cheap your water was in DC or how much your paying here? My water bill ran $35 last month in MUD and $65 in City of Houston.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:36 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,915,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_residents View Post
Water bill is around 120 per quarter in northern VA. Since the water price is so low, Fairfax Water bills people every quarter.

Here in Houston monthly water bill is about 120. So it is three times more expensive. I am comparing the same size of lot.
What on earth are you doing to have a $120 a month water bill?

My water bill here is far less than half what my water bill was in Arkansas. My last bill here was $17. My last water bill in Arkansas (4 years ago) was $58 (in the summer, it was over $100).

Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Looks like a leak or extensive lawn watering to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston