Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 20,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector80 View Post
Right, which started the first of the year, the max allowable incentive for all of Westin Homes communities is 8% of the base price. That is the max that any sales person for Westin Homes can accept. Anything over and above that is subject to the owner's approval. Can you ask for more? Sure. Will the owner accept it? No one knows for sure. I have heard them accept contracts at 15% discount and I have heard them turn down contracts at 9%. The key factor in this is what community you are making the offer in. In Katy, there is not much wiggle room, but in Cypress he may be more willing to accept a higher offer. Basically it boils down to the simple suppy and demand. It is very localized. If one community isn't selling well, they will give higher discounts. If it is selling well they don't have to give as much away. If you can tell me a community I can give you a better idea but this is true with every home builder I have encounted accept with Meritage right now. Their marketing department thought it would be a great idea to lower the base prices of the home but give no discount. Even though this might be a great deal, most people want something or feel like they have received a great deal. A home will sell faster listed at 350,000 with a 50,000 discount than it will listed at 300,000 with no discount.
How about Pine Mill Ranch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM

12 posts, read 76,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector80 View Post
Newbuyer11,

This may clear up some of the confusion. This is exactly how the discount portion of the Westin Homes contract reads on page 11 sub 36..."Regardless of lender, Seller will contribute up to $30,000.00 toward options included in the sales price, and/or Buyers' closing costs and prepaids at the time of closing, which may include all or a portion of Buyers' title policy, the loan origination fee and FHA/VA non-allowable expenses. Buyers understand that their mortgage company may limit the amount seller is contributing towards closing costs and prepaids."

The reason it says up to $30,000.00 is because Westin gives the buyer the option to use that 30 k discount for multiple things, i.e. 15k off the total price of the home & 15k to closing costs. The second and more previlant reason for this verbage is for building from the gound up. About a year ago Westin changed the wording on their contract from "Seller will contribute" to "Seller will contribute up to" because they stopped allowing buyers to reduce the base price of the home. For instance...base price is 300k, discount is 30k, options selected by buyer is 20k. Buyer can only reduce the price to the original 300k and would be required to use the additional 10k left toward closing cost and pre paids. If not used in the allowable ways, it will be lost.

Being that you are offering on an inventory home it is much simpler because Westin always goes all out on their inventory homes. Basically it is the full price on the transaction summary minus the discount on page 11 of contract equals final sales price. This will always be true on an inventory home unless the buyer uses part of their discount for closing costs, which would increase the purchase price by that amount they used. Hope this helps, you shouldn't be worried...with or without a realtor, there is always someone willing to help.
Sincerely, I80
Thanks for your very detailed message, I80!

I wish the contract clearly defined "up to" as you stated. But with the current version, it leaves much room for different explanations. And this is not just my personal opinion, this is my attorney's opinion as well.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 PM

12 posts, read 76,606 times
Finally, Westin called and notified me that they would give me the approval on the contract this coming Monday - let's see if we can trust Westin!

BTW, did you guys have to initial/sign the "Homeowner Transaction Summary" (the detailed pricing on base price, discount, all the upgrades, etc.)? Does your Summary include the negotiated discount?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,785 times
Default Contract Issues

Hi,

Me and spouse entered into contract with Westin homes 2 years ago and we lost over $12,000 dollars we are still fighting for our money so make sure you read the contracts well understand what you are getting yourself into. Alot of things changed and Westins story changed once we started inquiring about getting our money back. We were lied to from the beginning to the end. So dissapointing that a company would do this to people as if money grows on trees! It may not be alot of money to some but when you work hard for it it's alot! We have had different run ins with Kim Jeffeurs and someone named Patrick who has talked really rude and ugly to me and my spouse. What a way to respond to customers whom you've taken their money and now you have nothing but horrible things to say. ( Basically my husband was told we have your money now stop calling us)! Please anyone reading if you are entering into a contract with WESTIN please BEWARE!!!!! Read everything don't leave a stone unturned.

Sincerely,

Rippedoffbywestin

Old 04-09-2011, 02:25 PM

76 posts, read 256,714 times
In regards to the above post...you don't really say how or why you lost $12k. And saying that a builder somehow took $12k from you without giving details, I feel is wrong. I seriously doubt a builder would take money from you without any reason. Builders are in the business of selling homes and making money. If they regularly do bad business and swindle people out of money, then they would end up going out of business due to word of mouth. I have not closed on my Westin home as of yet. I hope to within the next 2 months. All I can say is that I have had ABSOLUTELY NO problems with Westin at all. In fact, compared to other friends who have built, I think my experience has been a piece of cake. That's not to say I haven't had minor annoyances, but anyone who is building, buying or selling a HOME, which has personal attachment, will always find something within the process to annoy them. That being said, I hands down would recommend Westin to anyone. I have also had Westin recommended to me by extended family that work for other builders. They have heard lots of things about various builders and definitely would have told me if I needed to be cautious with Westin. I will continue to report back even after the close of my home as I personally found the lack of positive personal experiences with Westin a little frustrating.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,670 times
Looked at Westin a few times, deciding if want to buy. Discovery seems to be developing slowly and no amenities have been built. Anyone living there currently have information about when amenities will be provided? Also interested in current Westin homeowners opinion of product and if the homes really live up to all the "hype" as far as energy efficiency and low utility bills, computer control center for house and being able to control music, lighting, etc throughout the house.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:17 AM

12 posts, read 51,770 times
I am in the process finalizing the home owner transaction summary with Greg in WLN.
I still have 14K left after the upgrade and I don't want to upgrade to much in case Westin Home go under water and I might lost all the upgrade money.
I am sure I want him to list my discount on the sumarry page and the total purchase price correctly. Looking into the page 11 on the contract, the discount can either use for option, closing cost and prepaid items.
I want this 14K go to reduce my base price. If Westin does not want to do this, I would be very cautious with them. I rather use this money for other upgrade rather than loose it at the end.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:01 PM

295 posts, read 1,165,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp1971 View Post
I am in the process finalizing the home owner transaction summary with Greg in WLN.
I still have 14K left after the upgrade and I don't want to upgrade to much in case Westin Home go under water and I might lost all the upgrade money.
I am sure I want him to list my discount on the sumarry page and the total purchase price correctly. Looking into the page 11 on the contract, the discount can either use for option, closing cost and prepaid items.
I want this 14K go to reduce my base price. If Westin does not want to do this, I would be very cautious with them. I rather use this money for other upgrade rather than loose it at the end.
how much free upgrade you got with WLN?

Old 04-18-2011, 04:58 PM

12 posts, read 51,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
how much free upgrade you got with WLN?
38K. It is also preminum lot

Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 PM

35 posts, read 134,179 times
38k, wow!!! We just signed a contract at WLN and got 23K, and they acted like that was giving us a lot.

Have you discussed closing costs? We want them to pay closing costs. Do you think this is possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston