U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,697 times
Default Dutch moving to Houston

We, my wife and me, are moving to houston at the end of September. I will we working around citywest blvd and my wife will work down town.

We have never been in Houston before so it is going to be a big adventure.

We have been advised that the Height and Memorial are good areas to live in also in relation with the location of our offices. We also need a good connection with the airport as we will be traveling to NY on a frequent basis. Are these two the areas we should focus on?

Can somebody also givesome insight how the commute will be like, timewise.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 06:39 AM

3,701 posts, read 10,634,526 times
I would also add Timber Grove as a good neighborhood to live in.
From Timber Grove or Heights, it is about 15 minutes to downtown, 30 -35 minutes to the Bush airport and about the same to Hobby (normal traffic), and about 20 munites to City West (traffic dependant). Memorial is closer to City West but the commute to the airports and downtown would be longer and I-10 is one of the worst freeways for traffic.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:45 AM

2,577 posts, read 5,259,528 times
A lot is going to depend upon how much you can spend, and how big of a house you need.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM

657 posts, read 1,572,726 times
You'll be working off Westheimer near Beltway 8. You'll probably also use the Beltway to get to Bush Airport.

A lot depends on how much you can spend. Memorial is a long road with mostly nice and expensive homes. If you can afford it you can definitely find a nice neighborhood there, anywhere from Highway 6 to inside the west loop. If you needed a less expensive home, you might check out Jersey Village on 290 and the Beltway, which would split the difference between work and the airport.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:06 PM

11,203 posts, read 16,532,115 times
Houston is a fairly short flight away (>4 hours, barring delays) from NYC or most of the continental U.S. or Mexico; your commute on the Beltway to IAH should be manageable. Leave early if it is a peak traffic time, because parts of the Beltway can get congested. It is a toll highway, so you may check into purchasing an "EZ Tag" which sticks on your windshield allows you to drive through the toll stops without stopping.

It is 6pm (1800) in Houston and 7 pm (1900) in New York. I live further away from IAH, but assuming there were not storms everywhere around Houston and there would be no delays, I suppose could get in the car right now, go to the airport and get on a plane from IAH to JFK International and get to Midtown Manhattan around 3am (0300 EDT=-5GMT). That might be nine hours, but it surely makes the country not seem so big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston