Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston is mostly like?
Atlanta 2 5.13%
Dallas 9 23.08%
Los Angeles 16 41.03%
Miami 1 2.56%
New Orleans 1 2.56%
ALL OF THE ABOVE 3 7.69%
Other Option (Please state) 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,806,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I have a good ear for accents!
As do I

Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times
Yeah. I have a good ear with accents as well. I can tell when one is from Dallas or one is from Houston or one is from Memphis or one is from Atlanta. The reason I have a good ear is because I grew up with people in a town where hardly anyone is from Killeen much less Texas. I knew from the get go that BOB was from Atlanta. I knew Young LA was from Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,605,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you know what I mean, maybe Anaheim was a bad choice, maybe I should have said Sacramento.
I do know what you mean, but even Sacramento is a bad example. If you said its like saying Los Angeles and San Diego are alike, then I might agree. Even then LA and San Diego have less in common than Houston and Dallas.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:51 PM

Where is the dude in this video from?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,786,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I do know what you mean, but even Sacramento is a bad example. If you said its like saying Los Angeles and San Diego are alike, then I might agree. Even then LA and San Diego have less in common than Houston and Dallas.
I don't think so, SD and LA are a lot more alike than Houston and Dallas.
The biggest difference I can tell between LA and SD (apart from the huge difference in population) is the weather.

Nah, Sacramento is a better example.

Dallas being non coastal just doesn't have the same feel that Houston does, the only similarity with Houston stems from being big cities in the same state. Houston has different vibes, one of which Dallas may possess, so although it could be said that Dallas is like Houston, saying Houston is like Dallas knocks out much of its feel. Same with Atlanta

Houston has a more coastal feel than Dallas, It has a more southern feel than Dallas in that it shares more of the Louisiana heritage than Dallas does, it has a longer brush with foreigners than Dallas, so the cosmoplitan feel is more engrained.

nope, Dallas may feel like Houston, but Houston has too many different feels to feel like simply Dallas.

Because LA is bigger and has even more things going on, you can get more of the feels of Houston in LA and thus LA is a more apt comparison.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...se-cities.html

Atlanta - 22
Los Angeles - 5 ....awww

Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,786,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...se-cities.html

Atlanta - 22
Los Angeles - 5 ....awww
did you really have to start another thread. there were two already.
Its non- Houstonians like you who drag things to city vs City and give the real Houstonians a bad name.

They are always saying Houston is always comparing itself to other cities, when in fact the bulk of the threads were made by non houstonians like you.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,605,025 times
Quote:
I don't think so, SD and LA are a lot more alike than Houston and Dallas.
The biggest difference I can tell between LA and SD (apart from the huge difference in population) is the weather.

Nah, Sacramento is a better example.

Dallas being non coastal just doesn't have the same feel that Houston does, the only similarity with Houston stems from being big cities in the same state. Houston has different vibes, one of which Dallas may possess, so although it could be said that Dallas is like Houston, saying Houston is like Dallas knocks out much of its feel. Same with Atlanta

Houston has a more coastal feel than Dallas, It has a more southern feel than Dallas in that it shares more of the Louisiana heritage than Dallas does, it has a longer brush with foreigners than Dallas, so the cosmoplitan feel is more engrained.

nope, Dallas may feel like Houston, but Houston has too many different feels to feel like simply Dallas.

Because LA is bigger and has even more things going on, you can get more of the feels of Houston in LA and thus LA is a more apt comparison.
So...youre argument is that Dallas feels like Houston, but Houston doesnt feel like Dallas? Absurd.

Youre trying to distance Houston from Dallas and attach it to LA. Its too obvious.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,946,813 times
Houston & Dallas are the most similar to each other, but they're not the same cities. It's an insult to say they are because it means they don't have identities of their own, I don't get why retard Northeasterners say they're the same. They aren't.

They are the most similar cities to each other however in the entire country. I would say Los Angeles next up though from what I know of Houston as, and then New Orleans, and then Atlanta, and finally and definitely last Miami.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Atlanta - 22
Los Angeles - 5 ....awww
Haha, I see what you did there!

You made this thread when the two poll choices were "Houston & Los Angeles". Obviously with a poll like that it would have Houston winning the poll because Houston is most like Houston. I remember last night it was 13 to 2, Houston had 13 & Los Angeles had 2.

I can make a thread today too though asking what is Austin more like, Austin or Portland and because of the blunder of the poll choice which stayed all throughout the night to whenever they changed it this afternoon, Austin would win.

Trying to pull a fast one, eh.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:55 PM

433 posts, read 698,057 times
Quote:
you know what I mean, maybe Anaheim was a bad choice, maybe I should have said Sacramento.
Actually, Sacramento is a good choice. The overall feel of the city is similar. While Houston has more affluent areas than Sac-Town, most neighborhoods are comparable.

Sac is bit more diverse, but I could see Houston follow in their footsteps in that area. Without looking at numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if crime was alike. Houston is not bad and either is NYC. I feel safer here than in LA overall.

In regards to pictures of buildings and areas:

It's all nice and all, but it's the culture and people that make a city. And to be honest, if you look at most of those articles that show Hermann Park, Kemah, Galveston, etc.--they don't show many people in those pictures. What does that say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston