Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times

Advertisements

How close is too close to live near a gas pipeline right of way? So many of the area neighborhoods have some sort of gas pipeline right of way behind the last row of houses. So how close is too close - would 4-6 houses away still be too close? Seems like these pipelines are everywhere and thereis no avoiding them (or is there)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Depends on the pipeline. You have your typical utility (natural gas) pipelines which can range in size from service pipelines to individual homes to larger trunk lines. Then you have the large transport pipelines which can be high pressure or low pressure that transport everything from oil to oil derived gasses (maybe several different things in the same pipeline at different times). There may be several pipelines in a row. Historically, the typical residential (utility) natural gas lines have caused more issues than the transport lines, but I personally would avoid living too close to one of the transport lines as it might hinder resale value.

You can get info on the pipelines by calling the number on the marker or by calling the Texas Railroad Commission. You can look at maps here: http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/data/online/index.php#

Last edited by Poltracker; 03-23-2011 at 04:51 AM..

Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
When I told the real estate agent that we wanted far from pipelines, she thought I was nuts. After explaining residential distribution pipelines were OK, we just did not want a large one. She still thought I was nuts. Klein builds schools within 200 feet of a large distribution line. A close by subdivision built a park on top of one. Houstonians love pipelines.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Houstonians love pipelines? It's the nature of the beast living in Houston.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Pipelines are all over Houston, afterall we account for near 40% of the US petrochemical production.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:01 PM

Friend of mine has been moving product through pipelines for 30 years. We lived in another state when one in Houston blew up some years back. She just laughed and said it would take a couple of weeks to figure out whose it was, they are so close together.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Friend of mine has been moving product through pipelines for 30 years. We lived in another state when one in Houston blew up some years back. She just laughed and said it would take a couple of weeks to figure out whose it was, they are so close together.
There actually have not been that many transport lines that have blown up in the last 40 years. Other than the San Jac River fire where the houses were already under water, I can think of only one in this area that actually destroyed homes. I believe that was in 1970 over at West Rd and Airline in north Houston. I recall one over off of Federal and Woodforest, another off of 290 (actually 2 out that way both construction related) and one out near New Caney where some idiot vandal decided a backhoe at a construction site would be fun to play with. Of course the big blast at the salt domes in Brenham was not actually a pipeline. There may have been a few others but none that come immediately to mind.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Maybe it was the one in Kaufman. As old as I am, 20 days, 20 years. It is all the same. I apologize for not being more specific. Will ask about next time I see her.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Boom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
There actually have not been that many transport lines that have blown up in the last 40 years. Other than the San Jac River fire where the houses were already under water, I can think of only one in this area that actually destroyed homes. I believe that was in 1970 over at West Rd and Airline in north Houston. I recall one over off of Federal and Woodforest, another off of 290 (actually 2 out that way both construction related) and one out near New Caney where some idiot vandal decided a backhoe at a construction site would be fun to play with. Of course the big blast at the salt domes in Brenham was not actually a pipeline. There may have been a few others but none that come immediately to mind.
I'll never forget that day of the Brenham blast. I lived in Katy in the early 90's, and I can still recall getting ready to go into work. I was usually in early, but I had to change my schedule a bit because of some work at the office, so I went in a little late. Sometime between 07:00 - 8:00 time frame, I was sitting on the edge of my bed just 'waking up', looking out the window at some plants I put in the weekend before. Then I heard boom, and all the windows in my house vibrated like a huge truck had just pulled up in my driveway, or someone hitting my windows with their fist. It was a nice cool sunny day, so it was not thunder. I got into work, and I think by lunch time, it was on the news. This predates the Internet as we know it, so news was not as instant as it is now. That was one big explosion that people even as far away as Beaumont heard and felt the shock waves.

Let's also not forget what happened in San Bruno near San Francisco recently, that was a neglected pipeline that destroyed a whole section of a neighborhood before they could turn off the gas.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I checked it on the map - a pipeline r.o.w. behind a neighborhood I was looking at ... Map shows a gas transmission line plus several HVL and Non-HVL products line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston