Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:32 AM

27 posts, read 25,491 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I need your advise in the below issue.We are building a home in katy with [Mod cut] builders.
The kitchen has a granite countertop and an island. The countertop was installed correctly the first time itself and the island was installed incorrectly. We pointed it to the construction manager.The builder said it was the granite company’s mistake and it was again installed incorrectly 3 times. Finally for the 4 time the island was installed correctly. Now the problem is the countertop and the island are having obvious color variations.

I understand granite is a natural stone and will have variations but the difference here is not because it is a natural stone but because it was not installed simultaneously. The countertop was installed in August and the island was installed this October. The builder says he is not going to change the countertop and we have to go with it.They have set the close date as Oct 10 and i believe they don’t want to push the closing date.

I don’t like to have two different granites in my kitchen. I understand no house is perfect but this is not acceptable.If they are not going to change it I don’t want to close the home. Should i take this legally or should i contact the top management. I atleast want my 11k deposit back. We have also spent around 1200 for inspection.

Thanks

Last edited by elnina; 10-04-2018 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Consumer complaints are against forum ToS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 10:44 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
How does not installing it simultaneously make it not match?

Old 10-04-2018, 10:58 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times
Even after you close and are moved in... .The builder should have a warranty. There is also a survey you fill out. A neighbor of mine kept having the Perry builder guy come back and redo tile in one tub surround. The kitchen floor was rough on her bare feet, above the mantle the wall was wavy. They kept coming back and redoing everything. She even had them redo all the kitchen cabinets, which were hand done, because the stain wasn't what she ordered. They came back and redid all the cabinets from scratch.

I would think a builder would get everything right before completion. It was their mistake, not yours. I don't understand why they can't contact the guy that did the countertop install. That's major when a countertop doesn't match the rest. You should complain to the sales rep office for the builder.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:50 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,740 times
I recommend escalating to regional office.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:34 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florjad View Post
Hi All,

I atleast want my 11k deposit back. We have also spent around 1200 for inspection.
Good luck with that. This is why they make you sign a 50 page contract. If you make a fuss over social media, report them to the BBB and show it to them, they might reconsider. (:

Old 10-04-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
How does not installing it simultaneously make it not match?
Because the two granite might have been quarried from the mountain 3 months apart.

Initially we chose this granite by seeing the same in a home that was under construction 9 months back. But our selection did not look the same. Below is the reply we got from the builder and we did understood.

“These were installed about 9 months apart and since these are quarried 9 months apart from a mountain there are variations in color from one part of the mountain to the other. “

Old 10-04-2018, 01:05 PM

I am still waiting for the reply from the builder. I will escalate this to the regional office if I don’t get a favorable answer .. I have to get their contact information. The sales agent is aware of this issue and will talk to her again tomorrow when she is available. Today is her day off.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Even after you close and are moved in... .The builder should have a warranty. There is also a survey you fill out. A neighbor of mine kept having the Perry builder guy come back and redo tile in one tub surround. The kitchen floor was rough on her bare feet, above the mantle the wall was wavy. They kept coming back and redoing everything. She even had them redo all the kitchen cabinets, which were hand done, because the stain wasn't what she ordered. They came back and redid all the cabinets from scratch.

I would think a builder would get everything right before completion. It was their mistake, not yours. I don't understand why they can't contact the guy that did the countertop install. That's major when a countertop doesn't match the rest. You should complain to the sales rep office for the builder.
Thank you and i will escalate it if they are not going to redo it. They are very keen about the survey. Even for minor things we ask the construction manager says “give me a 10 rating and i will do it after that.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:41 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
Quote:
Thank you and i will escalate it if they are not going to redo it. They are very keen about the survey. Even for minor things we ask the construction manager says “give me a 10 rating and i will do it after that.
My only advice would be DO NOT TRUST HIM. In fact, as a general rule don’t trust anyone in the industry. Don’t give them your money with the promise that they’ll “fix it later”. At that point you’ve lost all the leverage.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:03 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Hi All,

I need your advise in the below issue.We are building a home in katy with [Mod cut] builders.
The kitchen has a granite countertop and an island. The countertop was installed correctly the first time itself and the island was installed incorrectly. We pointed it to the construction manager.The builder said it was the granite company’s mistake and it was again installed incorrectly 3 times. Finally for the 4 time the island was installed correctly. Now the problem is the countertop and the island are having obvious color variations.

I understand granite is a natural stone and will have variations but the difference here is not because it is a natural stone but because it was not installed simultaneously. The countertop was installed in August and the island was installed this October. The builder says he is not going to change the countertop and we have to go with it.They have set the close date as Oct 10 and i believe they don’t want to push the closing date.

I don’t like to have two different granites in my kitchen. I understand no house is perfect but this is not acceptable.If they are not going to change it I don’t want to close the home. Should i take this legally or should i contact the top management. I atleast want my 11k deposit back. We have also spent around 1200 for inspection.

Thanks
Did you add the island option later?
Did the original install that was done incorrectly damage the granite on the island requiring a new piece to be cut later OR are you saying that the difference in color is/was your only reason for saying it was installed incorrectly?

Last edited by elnina; 10-04-2018 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: