Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:32 AM

88 posts, read 206,038 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Frequent lurker, first-time poster here...

I am a native Houstonian who has lived in Chicago for the past 20 years. For all of the obvious reasons, I am seriously contemplating moving back to Texas.

My SO is a native Chicagoan, but he has visited my family in Houston several times and is willing to try moving to Houston with me. His only condition is that I need to find a job first. He works from home as a contractor for large consulting firm, so changing location is not an issue for him.

If/when my condo sells, I am planning to lease a furnished apartment for 3 months and find a job. I have a graduate degree from UH and a bunch of high school friends that I've reconnected with recently on Facebook. My most recent job was as a Marketing Manager for a boutique financial software firm.

I know that the employment picture is better in Houston than it is in Chicago, but does this sound reasonable? I'm in my mid-40's, with a solid work history, good references and local connections. Is it realistic to think I can find a job in 3 months? (BTW, I am not going to be picky; just looking for something that will pay the bills). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,209 times
I don't know much about your specific job market, but I would say 3 months is probably not reasonable. If I were you I would try looking for jobs from Chicago, secure something before you move back to Houston.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM

I've been trying to do that for the past 8 months or so. It hasn't been too successful; the feedback I've gotten is that most HR departments want you to already live in the area. People seen to assume that you'll want them to pick up relocation expenses, etc. This is why I thought it'd be worth the effort and expense to do a temporary relocation.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,457 times
UH is hosting a reunion/networking event for alumni soon. There will be employers there. Sorry i don't remember date or time, as email was deleted. You may want to contact your college and find out. Maybe you'll have chance to come visit on that day.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
If you don't expect relocation to be paid and can cover flights down for interviews use your relatives Houston address on your resume.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:03 PM

201 posts, read 914,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If you don't expect relocation to be paid and can cover flights down for interviews use your relatives Houston address on your resume.
If the original poster is going to stay in Chicago until finding a job, I like your idea. The only thing is that she will have to be very careful during any interviews to not reveal that she doesn't live in Houston. For example, the interviewer may be familiar with the area listed on the resume, which may lead to some UNCOMFORTABLE questions. If the address is far from the job, it may lead to questions about the commute. Etc., etc.

And then if she finds a job, she'll have to be careful about telling coworkers and her boss about the move down from Chicago.

It's all manageable but will require extra preparation.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM

I've actually already done that! I have "borrowed" my brother's West U address and even managed to get a (713) second line on my VOIP phone.

I still worry that this is a bit unethical to represent myself as living in Houston when I still have this boat anchor to deal with in Chicago.

By the way, are there Houston-specific job websites? I have posted my Houston resume on Monster and CareerBuilder, but it seems like most of the jobs I see there are telemarketing and/or very entry-level. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:49 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
Is also unethical for companies to discriminate based on your residence location. If you’re the right candidate for the job and willing to relocate in your own that should be a non issue for any companies.

That being said try to connect with head hunters and placing agencies here in Houston. Sometime if not most of the times big companies go through this type of placing agencies.

Also get a list of all or most companies in Houston and start browsing through their public HR sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juilletdix View Post
I've actually already done that! I have "borrowed" my brother's West U address and even managed to get a (713) second line on my VOIP phone.

I still worry that this is a bit unethical to represent myself as living in Houston when I still have this boat anchor to deal with in Chicago.

By the way, are there Houston-specific job websites? I have posted my Houston resume on Monster and CareerBuilder, but it seems like most of the jobs I see there are telemarketing and/or very entry-level. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:58 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
When I need to hire people I use Craigslist and Ebay Classified.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 PM

@ethanw,

thanks, do you happen to know any headhunters or placement firms you could point me to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: