U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,204,268 times
There is a lot of good information on this tread. I know it's a difficult situation to have to deal with but I hope all these experiences at least make you feel better about it. :-) Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM

10,192 posts, read 10,293,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSMOM View Post
My daughter won't turn five until December and I am well aware of Texas State requirements of 5 by Sept 1 for Kindergarten and 6 by Sept 1 for First Grade. I never really understood the logic behind the date, especially when there are children born after this date that are prepared mentally and socially for Kindergarten.

So, with my child being one of those children, (knows colors, alphabets, numbers, shapes, spelling her name, etc) I hate the idea of having to wait until she is almost 6 to start Kindergarten and almost 7 before she reaches 1st grade. I see potential issues due to being bored with the curriculum.

My husband and I thought the fix to this would be sending her to private school until 2nd grade, but unfortunately we are unable to find ones in our area (Missouri City, Pearland, Sugarland) that don't have the same age requirements as public school..

Just wondering if there is a work around (and steps to proceed), or is homeschooling our best best?
I have a late birthday, so I had to do two years in preschool. I'm from Alabama.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:07 PM

390 posts, read 617,287 times
I once struggled with this same question. My child had a mid-September birthday and I was worried about her always being the "old lady" of her class/grade. The best advice I got came from a pediatrician. He said, "In my 23 years of practice, I have never met a parent who regretted waiting, but I couldn't even begin to count the number of parents I've met who regretted not waiting." That advice (along with the opinion of teacher friends) decided it for me. My daughter is now finishing her junior year of high school and it was absolutely the right decision to make.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM

6,400 posts, read 9,333,612 times
Sometimes even if they are more than smart enough - it is a maturity level. Boys in particular that have late b'days are often immature and despite intelligence - that immaturity doesn't work in their favor and they are often better off waiting.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 AM

9,939 posts, read 7,232,247 times
What is this rush to push children to grow up too fast!

Academics are fine, but socially children need time to be children. Slow down and smell the roses. Believe me no one will care when she is an adult whether or not she went to kindergarten at 5 or 6 and no one will really care if she graduates high school at 16, 17 or 18.

One of the things I learned when I taught preschool was that kids need to be kids first. They will learn the academics when they are ready. If they are bright, they can always advance through the curriculum with a gifted or enrichment program. They can also pursue their own special interests and will if they love learning.

Modified to add: My ds went to K late (he was 6, very advanced academically, socially immature). My dd (she was 5 and a social butterfly) went to K on time. I went to K (I was 4 and only went because I begged and my dad asked the nuns and they said yes, but K when I went to school was play based, not academic at all) early. All of us are successful adults and our experiences in school were appropriate for us.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 AM

344 posts, read 467,933 times
This is quickly becoming a parenting thread rather than a Houston Thread.

I agree with the previous posts. It doesn't hurt to wait.

I use to agonize about this because my daughter has a Sept. Birthday, but then a move (from Houston) and 1/2 year of house hunting made it basically impossible to find a way to "work the system" or get into a good school with a later cut-off date. She is now is a first grader and is doing great. She has not been bored at school despite learning a lot in preschool. There are at least 4 kids with just-missed-the-cut-off Sept. B-days in her class and the 3 kids from the class who ended up repeating K, all had late summer/ just-made-the cut-off B-days.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,857 times
You have all provided GREAT advice and I do appreciate it. You all in one way or another open my eyes to a bigger picture.

Thanks! Our search is over!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM

4,016 posts, read 4,766,811 times
I have an early November birthday, and my parents didn't want to wait, so they sent me to a private school at 5. All my friends were a year older than me. When I was in high school, they were all driving way ahead of me, dating ahead of me, drinking ahead of me (legal age was 18 back in the stone ages). I was 17 when I graduated from high school. I really wanted to go to UT, but my parents were like, "you're only 17 and we aren't letting a 17 year old loose in Austin." Really, whose fault was that?

My oldest turned 6 at the first of January, so not much different than your child, and we never considered letting him start school at 5. As someone else mentioned, that's basically half the school year. You have to figure about half the class is still going to be older than your child. For our son it turned out he was still the youngest of all of his friends. They almost all had birthdays in Sept, Oct and Nov.

My younger son turned 6 at the end of June before starting 1st grade, and he always was one of the youngest kids in his class. Academically he was fine, socially, he had a bit more of a problem. He just was not as mature as most of the other kids. It didn't help that he was very small for his age. Kids always called a baby, or asked if he'd skipped a couple of grades. A friend of mine had a son born one day before my son but they chose to hold him back, making him 7 before he started first grade. It worked out really well.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 AM

15,516 posts, read 15,154,703 times
Its the social part that hurts the kids if you move them up too fast. Especially as they move into their teens. Being a year behind your peers when it comes to driving, dating, physical maturity can really hurt the outlook of an otherwise promising kid.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM

97 posts, read 139,656 times
My daughter's birthday is in November..she is the tallest and oldest in her class..I was a little bothered by the fact she had to enter Kindergarten so late; but I think it is the best decision because she is a little more advanced than the other kids. She is enjoying school and her friends..

Don't let this bother you..I work as a director for a tutoring facility and I have parents coming in all the time with this issue...some parents really try to push their kids over the top and it really does affect the child socially and mentally.

Good Luck..you can always have the option later down the road to have your child take the CBE test (credit by exam)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston