Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:46 PM

70 posts, read 180,459 times

Advertisements

This forum is great for information, so I will say thanks in advance to any responses.

I am looking at potentially taking a position that is located in The Woodlands and my significant other would be working in the Energy Corridor area. Wouldn't mind hearing people's thoughts on a reasonable place to buy a house to compromise on the commute a bit. I realize that these places of work are quite far from eachother!

Budget would be $300-$400k. We do have two small children, so good schools would be very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 04:19 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
I don't know much about the schools, but something off 249 might work. The Woodlands worker could go in the back way. Yet, I would think it would still be over 35 minutes for both.

If you have to decide between the two, commuting from TW to anywhere near in the core, except directly into Downtown, is hell. And even that's no fun. A reverse commute from the city up to The Woodlands would be better.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada2Texas View Post
This forum is great for information, so I will say thanks in advance to any responses.

I am looking at potentially taking a position that is located in The Woodlands and my significant other would be working in the Energy Corridor area. Wouldn't mind hearing people's thoughts on a reasonable place to buy a house to compromise on the commute a bit. I realize that these places of work are quite far from eachother!

Budget would be $300-$400k. We do have two small children, so good schools would be very important.
Normally, I would not suggest Bridgeland when not working near 290 - but it might work and schools are good. EC commuter would go south on Fry to Longenbaugh to 6 to 529 to Eldridge and go south to EC. Woodlands commuter would go north on Fry to 2920 to wherever it made sense to go north to The Woodlands (not knowing where the job is located in The Woodlands). Plus, it's nice.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,685 times
That's a difficult dilemma.

I think that Champions could be a good solution though. This is the same 249 area that EasilyAmused suggested.

The Woodlands worker can take 1960 to go to I-45, then head north doing a "reverse commute" to the Woodlands. The Energy Corridor worker can take 249 to Beltway 8 south and then go west on I-10 to the Energy Corridor which would also be a "reverse commute" once it gets to I-10.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:48 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Cypress sounds like the best option. Spring Cypress road will take you to just south of The Woodlands and Barker Cypress will take you just west of the Energy Corridor. Cole's Crossing and Fairfield are some good options in Cypress. If you want to be a little closer to The Woodlands you could always go a little further east to Glenloch Farms and if you want to be a little closer to the Energy Corridor you could move a little further west to Bridgeland.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,050 times
I'd consider trying to move closest to the parent that will be more involved in the childcare and let the other take the brute of the commute. To meet halfway means someone is always far away when a child gets sick. And when it comes to school events, if one parent works close by, he/she can pop in for an hour and be back at work. If both parents are "halving" a long commute, neither is very close by.

Trust me, if your kids are small, you may not have figured this. But I have 3 in grade school. It's nice to have one parent close by to hit at least some of the events.

In both cases... EC or Woodlands you can get into great schools. I strongly suggest living close to one or the other... not in-between and close to neither.

If it's a toss up... I pick an EC location any day. Reverse commute, plus you are closer to all the city has to offer.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,577 times
The Heights or Garden Oaks area (near 610Nx45) if you like to be near the city. Put the kids in private school. It's a reverse commute for both of you so traffic won't be much of an issue. Hwy 6/1960 is not a true highway so don't get fooled when looking at the map, there are lots of traffic lights and many parts where you're going under 20 during traffic or thru school zones. Also look at areas just outside of Btwy8 and btw 290 and 249 like some posters mentioned....Bltwy 8 is a tollroad and traffic tends to move. The EC and Woodlands are large areas, so it sort of depends on where specifically your places of work are. Try looking at webcam/live traffic reports during rush hours to get an idea where Houston jams occur on a daily basis.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:24 AM

322 posts, read 710,194 times
hmmm I'm too looking at the Heights with those types of commutes.

I'm in the Eldridge/W Little York area and its a breeze commute to EC. There are also AWTY and British School buses right in our community, too.

I drive up to Woodlands a few times a month as I like the shopping. Its a bear to do, though, and I'm situated closer than Champions. 290 is a parking lot from Route 6 east at each rush hour, which is more like from 3PM onward to 7PM for the afternoon.

I'd either reconsider a job in Woodlands or consider somewhere in Heights.

When you say EC, do you mean Memorial (as nearer Memorial City Mall) or further out (ie:, BP or Shell?)

Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 PM

70 posts, read 180,459 times
Thanks for all the responses, it is really helpful. I was thinking the Cypress area as well as it seems to be a good compromise. However, descovy makes a good point that I hadn't really thought about. I guess it is something we will have to discuss.

As for location, I am thinking EC as being Shell and job in The Woodlands would be located near The Woodlands Mall just off 45.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:12 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Going on Descovy's advice, I would live in the EC and do a reverse commute to The Woodlands, (50-60 minutes). Living in The Woodlands and trying to get to Shell would be 90 minutes on a good day. I did the drive often years ago, and traffic is far worse now.

Also, you have to decide what kind of area you want to live in. The EC/Memorial and The Woodlands have two distinctly different vibes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston