U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 10,939 times
Default Pre k schools

I am looking for Pre k schools for my 3 year old son. Any public or free schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,151,186 times
In what area of Houston?

Old 03-31-2011, 02:13 PM

9,939 posts, read 7,232,247 times
As far as I know there are no free or public preschools unless your child is developmentally delayed. If they test delayed, most schools have free PPCD classes for 3 year olds and PreK for 4 year olds.

If you qualify by income, you can look into Headstart.
http://www.neighborhood-centers.org/...spx?pageid=313

Old 03-31-2011, 02:16 PM
FDO

104 posts, read 174,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
As far as I know there are no free or public preschools unless your child is developmentally delayed. If they test delayed, most schools have free PPCD classes for 3 year olds and PreK for 4 year olds.
That is correct. The last time I was in Houston, I checked with the Fort bend School District and this is exactly what they told me.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,776 times
They have a number of schools that accepts prek-3,The majority of them are Charter schools
The Varnett Charter school
Houston Heights Learning Academy

GreatSchools.org Search: 77042

Old 05-17-2011, 09:12 AM

525 posts, read 678,061 times
In Clear Creek ISD, they have free public pre-K (3s and 4s) if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Income
- Developmental delay
- Limited English (they will test the child)

Old 05-27-2011, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,293 times
I too am looking for a pre-k program; however, my little one is 4. I'm actually looking for a program with a strong curriculum and one that will also have her reading by the end of the school year. Anyone know of any such program, private, charter or otherwise? We live downtown but wouldn't mind commuting for the right academic program for our little one.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 PM

9,939 posts, read 7,232,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommanash View Post
I too am looking for a pre-k program; however, my little one is 4. I'm actually looking for a program with a strong curriculum and one that will also have her reading by the end of the school year. Anyone know of any such program, private, charter or otherwise? We live downtown but wouldn't mind commuting for the right academic program for our little one.
mommanash, please do NOT push your 4 year old into a curriculum that is too academic in nature.

Note that in countries where literacy is high, like Sweden, Switzerland and Germany, PreK is play based, not academic. Children are not taught to read until first grade, just as we used to do here in the US. Children who are ready will learn to read early without teaching or pushing. Children who are not ready and who are pushed will learn to hate reading. We have a crisis in the US because we are pushing the curriculum onto younger and younger children.

A good hands on play based curriculum will teach your dd to love learning. She may learn to read by the end of the year, but she may not depending on her interests and abilities. There is NO reason to insist a child reads by the time they are 5. No university, no employer will care. What they will care about is can the student problem solve, read well enough to take her courses or do her job. Who cares if she learns to read at 4 or at 7 or even 8?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 AM

3,666 posts, read 3,065,722 times
My NYC early childhood teacher daughter has all kinds of letters after her name and 2 masters degrees. I have picked up a little from her along the way. Your child is +/- 48 months old. There are many things she is learning now. Nana is correct. You can worry about her SAT's when she is older.
Some of my children taught themselves to read at 4. One of my children hated anything to do with school until she got to Rice. She is the most academic and a high school teacher. One of them wanted no part of any kind of schooling. He earned the highest prize given to folks in his field.
Expose your child to all that is around her. You can spend hours learning about her world just looking out of your window. There is a lot to learn at 4 besides reading. If you read to the child and for yourself, the child will want to do it, too. My grandson taught himself at 3 just by watching our mouths as we read to him. He soon started running our fingers under the words. Cracked the code. Another did not learn until he was in the 6th grade. Dyslexic. He goes to school in Syracuse. Early reading is no indicator of academic success.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 12,055 times
i think if an school has a pre-k program you have toqulif financially. i'm not too sure though... this is my first child and i've just started the process of looking into pre-k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston