Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times

Advertisements

I decided to do my own backyard design and trying to hire some hands to do the work now. I am taking a phased approach and I am going to start with the first layer by the fence which will be the landscape bed with Wax Myrtle Trees and Ligustrum Shrubs between the trees. After this phase is done next year I will start adding some more layers in front, based on my design.

I have to do about 175 Ft long by 3Ft wide of landscape bed with about 13 wax myrtle trees and the ligustrum shrubs in between. What would the labor and the soil cost for this type landscape bed along with digging the holes for the 13 trees and all the shrubs in between?
Any ideas on where to find cheap soil and some reasonable labor hands? Any idea how much I should pay?

I know how much the trees and shrubs will cost me so I am not worry about that part. Anything else I should think of?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,221 times
I'm thinking retaining walls, even if only a few inches off the ground, would be good to keep your beds clearly defined.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
If nothing else, you can get soil down at Lowes or Home Depot. Fourty pounds of organic mulch is about $2.00, or you can just buy top soil for $1.00 for forty pounds and add a few bags of manure to richen it up a bit.

As for labor, you can try Craigslist -- sure there are lots of college students willing to work a saturday for a few extra bucks.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Workers are usually in the Home Depot parking lot.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
In my experience, the labor to create the beds and spread the dirt and mulch is the most intensive part. Planting the plants is the easy part. If it were me and I couldn't do everything at once, I would focus on getting the beds created in their final size this spring, and then in the fall, adding the plants. I know the plants are the sexy part, but instead of creating a bed, then next year expanding it (either yourself or paying someone again, wrecking your lawn that just recovered, etc.), and then maybe expanding it again with the next phase, just build the beds you want in their final size now, and plant later.

Even though the new beds will look a bit bare, the layer of mulch on top will help finish it. Besides, planting in the fall is best.

Good luck! So many people neglect backyard landscaping, it's nice to see something besides a square area of sod.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:58 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,083 times
My wife and I do our backyard every year together. It is alot cheaper that way and you get more of a satisfying feeling of accomplishment to know that you did it Yourself and not pay somebody else to do it for you.. Just dedicate one weekend to it and you can make it happen in no time. Ethan, I think that you would get ripped off hiring somepeople to doit for you. Not being sarcastic though, your cheapest bet would be to do what Cheryjohn said and check the labor pools around the Home Depots and places like that. There used to be a labor pool on Westpark Drive just inside the Southwest Freeway. Check it out.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Very true Amber as far as the ripoff goes. I got a $12,000 quote to do the landscape in my backyard. I told the guy that my money printing machine is broken so I will have to get back to him. TOTAL ripoff.

And that is the reason I am going this route, design everything myself, hire hands from a labor pool and buy everything in my own. I never used hands from the labor pools, are they safe? and how do I pay them, by the hour, or for the job? I don't want to insult those guys, is hard work, and I really want to pay them what is fair so they can feed their families.

Thanks for all the guidance.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
My wife and I do our backyard every year together. It is alot cheaper that way and you get more of a satisfying feeling of accomplishment to know that you did it Yourself and not pay somebody else to do it for you.. Just dedicate one weekend to it and you can make it happen in no time. Ethan, I think that you would get ripped off hiring somepeople to doit for you. Not being sarcastic though, your cheapest bet would be to do what Cheryjohn said and check the labor pools around the Home Depots and places like that. There used to be a labor pool on Westpark Drive just inside the Southwest Freeway. Check it out.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 AM

122 posts, read 477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Very true Amber as far as the ripoff goes. I got a $12,000 quote to do the landscape in my backyard. I told the guy that my money printing machine is broken so I will have to get back to him. TOTAL ripoff.

And that is the reason I am going this route, design everything myself, hire hands from a labor pool and buy everything in my own. I never used hands from the labor pools, are they safe? and how do I pay them, by the hour, or for the job? I don't want to insult those guys, is hard work, and I really want to pay them what is fair so they can feed their families.

Thanks for all the guidance.....
You're in Riverstone, right? If you're looking to go the labor pool route, you can check the Home Depot at 59 and Williams Trace, but might be difficult to find there. Best bet would be at 59 and West Bellfort across West Bellfort from the Frys there is a large labor pool there. They hang out in front of the convenience store there. Just drive up and they'll come up to you. Going rate is about $80 per day. If you want to give them more, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Make sure to buy them lunch and provide lots of water/drinks for them. You'll need to provide the tools however, although you might be able to find someone with them. You'll also need to worry about what you're going to do with all the dirt and grass that you dig out for the beds.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Thanks much and yes I am in Riverstone. Good points all together, tools, lunch, dirt, grass and all that. That's the reason I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbusdog View Post
You're in Riverstone, right? If you're looking to go the labor pool route, you can check the Home Depot at 59 and Williams Trace, but might be difficult to find there. Best bet would be at 59 and West Bellfort across West Bellfort from the Frys there is a large labor pool there. They hang out in front of the convenience store there. Just drive up and they'll come up to you. Going rate is about $80 per day. If you want to give them more, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Make sure to buy them lunch and provide lots of water/drinks for them. You'll need to provide the tools however, although you might be able to find someone with them. You'll also need to worry about what you're going to do with all the dirt and grass that you dig out for the beds.

Last edited by ethanw; 04-05-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM

913 posts, read 4,342,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Thanks much and yes I am in Riverstone. Good points all together, tools, lunch, dirt, grass and all that. That's wthe reason I love this forum
I normally pay $10+ an hr, x 8 hours a day = $80+ (say, $100 for a hard labor day). Plus lunch/drinks. I normally prepare sandwiches for them, which costs less than McDonalds and of better quality ingredients, so they are happy. Another option is to buy some Mexican food at a local Mexican cantina, taqueria or a meat store. Still a cheaper better food than a fast food.

For some work it is easier to negotiate a fixed price. It gives worker an incentive. For example, I have negotiated $400 for 80 ft worth of digging and root removal, which took 2 people for 2 days anyway. Otherwise, they would work slower and make it a 3-day project. One needs to be watching them all the time. :-)

If you try a few guys, you may find one or two with good garden experience (I normally prefer guys in their 40s and 50s, not youngsters) and you will stick to them. I have found one that I stick to for around a year now. I call him directly every once in a while. A very thorough man in his 50s.

Yes, tools would need to be provided. Plan this ahead and you will be alright. It normally takes me a day before to plan the whole work day with them (to write a work to be done ) and buy/rent tools, mark the area, buy materials. And the next day goes well. Minus 1 hour for driving them to and from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston