U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,505 times
Default Would u move from Colorado Springs to NE Houston?

Hi...we have lived in Colorado (Denver for 4 yrs and Colorado Springs for 12). We have 4 kids (12 - 4 yrs). We love Colorado and have never considered moving until my husband was offered an interesting opportunity in Houston. We are growing in our excitement and interest in moving, but we don't want to get to Houston and wish we had never left Colorado. We would move to Kingwood/The Woodlands area.

We would love any and all of your thoughts, and are curious about a couple of specific things...especially if u have lived in both areas

1) are Houston summers or Colorado winters more severe?
2) what would we miss most in Colorado that is not avail in TX?...other than skiing
3) would you rather live the next 20 yrs in CO or Houston?
4) considering our kids' futures, doesn't TX have a lot more to offer for higher education opportunities?
5) we have an established circle of friends in CO...are Kingwood/TW areas friendly to newcomers or fairly tight knit?
6) please tell all...we don't have to move so trying to make an informed decision...

THANK YOU SO MUCH...our little family appreciates your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 5,706,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movetohouston? View Post
Hi...we have lived in Colorado (Denver for 4 yrs and Colorado Springs for 12). We have 4 kids (12 - 4 yrs). We love Colorado and have never considered moving until my husband was offered an interesting opportunity in Houston. We are growing in our excitement and interest in moving, but we don't want to get to Houston and wish we had never left Colorado. We would move to Kingwood/The Woodlands area.

We would love any and all of your thoughts, and are curious about a couple of specific things...especially if u have lived in both areas

1) are Houston summers or Colorado winters more severe? Houston Summers, unless you mean Crested Butte winters
2) what would we miss most in Colorado that is not avail in TX?...other than skiing Outdoor activities that you can do in the summer without dying of heat stroke
3) would you rather live the next 20 yrs in CO or Houston? CO no question
4) considering our kids' futures, doesn't TX have a lot more to offer for higher education opportunities?Yes
5) we have an established circle of friends in CO...are Kingwood/TW areas friendly to newcomers or fairly tight knit? Very Friendly in Texas in general
6) please tell all...we don't have to move so trying to make an informed decision...Houston has a lot to offer but I've never lived in CO but I've been a few times. If work was available there I would move in a heartbeat.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:12 AM

173 posts, read 226,936 times
dont mean to be negative on my city but i think i would stay in colorado. its beautiful.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,505 times
Thanks for taking time to reply! Isn't there a lot to do in Houston tho? Sometimes we just don't have many options in Colorado Springs...esp on cold winter days...it's the movies or the small mall...I know we live in the mountains...but even skiing is 2+ hours away...I am thinking about Saturday afternoon outings...

Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 AM

173 posts, read 226,936 times
your right we do have lots to do. museums,zoo,parks,baseball,basketball,football,soc cer. tons of restraunts,close to kemah and galveston.Schilterbaun galveston. Tons of shopping,galleria,rice,highland village if your into that.So if u are thinking on those terms houston is great. We just dont have alot of outdoor type things compared to where ur from. THe summers here are extreme u wont really be outsidie much. except for evening and then you gotta deal with monster mosquitos.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 AM

18,516 posts, read 15,778,373 times
I love Houston and Love a lot of Colorado.
Depends on what you are looking for.

Honestly, you are in a place you love I would advise you to stay there unless the opportunity is too good to pass up. And if it is too good to pass up then all other considerations are secondary.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 PM

207 posts, read 302,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movetohouston? View Post

1) are Houston summers or Colorado winters more severe?
2) what would we miss most in Colorado that is not avail in TX?...other than skiing
3) would you rather live the next 20 yrs in CO or Houston?
4) considering our kids' futures, doesn't TX have a lot more to offer for higher education opportunities?
5) we have an established circle of friends in CO...are Kingwood/TW areas friendly to newcomers or fairly tight knit?
6) please tell all...we don't have to move so trying to make an informed decision...

If you move here you will definitely be downgrading on a lot of things. Education is one of them. You will pay higher property taxes and more in sales taxes. Many people move here because they think it is cheaper, but in reality it is far from the truth.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM

49 posts, read 68,108 times
Don't do it.

I think there are a lot more bearable winter days than spring/summer/early fall days in TX.

Don't forget that for the premier Universities your children must be in the top 10% of their class vs meeting the automatic accept criteria in CO, hard to imagine the rest aren't accessible from CO as much as from TX. I didn't think public education was so great in CO, but am less impressed by what I'm finding here, at 3-4 times the property taxes. Decide to go private and there are many more options, but then you are paying both tax and tuition.

It will take a long time to replace your base of friends and support. People seemed a lot more friendly until we actually moved here, not a lot of effort beneath the surface and be prepared for some months of misery. My kids were the new kids for 3 days before there was another new one behind. The schools can be so large that it is easy to go unnoticed as 'new' and difficult to find your way. There is much more emphasis, interest and activity based around church, depending on how you feel about that it may help your transition.

There are easier and less stressful ways to have an adventure, and if you are like most of us you don't take advantage of all that is in your area now. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:47 PM

3,554 posts, read 7,209,305 times
If you have any specific questions about Kingwood I can help you out as for if you should move well that is on you .

Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 PM

8,120 posts, read 10,783,926 times
If you love where you are now and have a support system of friends & family there, I would not consider moving unless the job was paying 50-100%+ more than current income. There is much to be said about living where you feel "at home" and it would have to be a significant financial "bump" to move just foe the money.

I think Colorado winters are akin to Houston summers- you just put up with them if you live there.

You would definitely make friends- the area abounds with relos & transplants.

Houston's activities are more cultural (museums, galleries, performing arts) and commercial (malls, pro sports, restaurants) and Colorado's are more outdoor, fresh air. Colorado is a very "fit" health-conscious state. Texas is.....not.

Texas has no income tax, but that can easily be a wash when 3% property taxes and 8.25% sales tax are taken into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston