Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times

Advertisements

A&M, I have to say (though I doubt you care) this....I can tell that you did your homework researching the information, but in a way Turtle is right. It isnt really fair to compare a large state to a small state like Vermont, or even a mid size state like Georgia. That would be like comparing the United States to Austria. Other than that, I think your teacher would/could see the amount of research you did, that alone earns you brownie points by some teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Honestly with all due respect I think you made a pretty weak case in your paper.

You probably should have compared the economic growth in Texas with other large populated states such as California or Florida to make your case since they are more similar to each other than say Vermont or Arizona.
I guess you didn't read my posts! UGH!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 PM

BTW, y'all have reall really and truly truly drained my mentally with your comments. I'm so tired! UGH! I'm going to be graded according to the format that was provided by the professor. Y'all going way into depth and picking out stuff that the professor isn't mainly focused on. I've done exactly what the professor said. I'm happy and it's over. Thanks for the input, even though I truly didn't want them and DID NOT ASK FOR THEM!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
When you post your work publicly, it's going to get critiqued. Period. End of story. Been doing it for a long time myself. If you only wanted a few people to see it, you could send DMs. Instead, you made it for public consumption.

You've made a few comments talking about this project of yours, but for a long time you posted lots of topics and posts that were rather vague and open-ended, and this forum (not just Houston, it's more city-data as a whole) tends to deal with more specific topics than abstract ones. It took awhile before I realized you were doing this for research purposes, though reading what I commonly read here I'd say its research value may be rather limited.

Going back to the work critiques - when you put it out there for complete strangers who have no particular interest in looking out for your feelings, you're going to have to grow a thicker skin than this.

I agree that Texas should have been compared more to California or Florida rather than Vermont. It's like comparing the United States or China to Luxembourg. Both are sovereign nations but one has a very large area and population and the other does not. Large areas and large populations require a degree of infrastructure that is on a much greater level, and this is something that must be paid for.

The paper is probably not that bad compared to what gets turned in lately. You actually used complete words and sentences. u kno wut i mean lol wtf bbq
This is becoming redundant, which is making me frustrated as hell. Sorry! I was told to compare, whether it was Hawaii, Alaska, or whatever, I did what was asked of me. I compared Texas to Vermont to make it seem much more better, since I'm arguing that Texas is the best state in the nation in terms of job growth. Comparing Texas to Florida will make it harder simply because they both are well known, and they both appear on the same accolades right behind each other. So comparing Texas to Florida is like comparing Texas to itself because I have no information on a much less known state to argue my case. That's why I did that! Vermont is not in Texas's league. Hell, it's not even in Mississippi's league. LOL! Trust me, I did extensive research and Vermont fit the "requirements" since I wanted to compare Texas, a well-known state, to a less known state, Vermont. We all know about California and Florida. I hope you understand now.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
OK, your professor (or whoever tells your professor what to do) has an interesting idea of how to do these things.

My point stands though. You put your work out there, and it will be critiqued for what they see, and if there is some back story like "this is how my professor wanted it done" - just like when you churn out a bunch of open-ended topics and polls without people knowing this was for a research paper.

This brings me back to an episode of mine in high school with a teacher that had been hired fresh out of college and seemed to be there more to teach dance than English anyway. She came up with this extremely restrictive "format" that had no discernible purpose other than, I'm guessing, to make the papers easier for her to read and grade. So this was a paper on The Crucible, and we were given several themes from which we were to choose one (and ONLY one) to analyze. Mind, many of our choices were rather interrelated. Well, shame on me, since I had to pick one I ended up mentioning some of the other words in the paper and I got a 75 on the thing. I moved on.

I still have that paper. I could post it here publicly if I wanted people to critique it.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:06 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
BTW, y'all have reall really and truly truly drained my mentally with your comments. I'm so tired! UGH! I'm going to be graded according to the format that was provided by the professor. Y'all going way into depth and picking out stuff that the professor isn't mainly focused on. I've done exactly what the professor said. I'm happy and it's over. Thanks for the input, even though I truly didn't want them and DID NOT ASK FOR THEM!
Poor fellow!

Write it again and compare Texas to California...I can help you out! I grew up in Houston and now live in California. I can give you lots of ideas in support of Texas!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 AM

239 posts, read 638,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Did I feel good doing it? No. But I feel worse realizing that this kid's professor has led him to believe he's a good writer and falsely inflated his ability to rate his critical thinking skills. I feel even worse that our education system is so f'ed up that someone with writing skills this poor got into college. This is a prime example of why jobs are being shipped overseas every day and the "wonderful" job creation- even in Texas- are McJobs, not jobs suitable for educated human beings.
What all your blather boils down to is: Who appointed you judge, jury and writing executioner? It's just so unnecessary for you to be so insulting, much less to continue it!

Moreover, it's really absurd and idiotic of you to post the comments others have (supposedly) sent to you in a lame effort to bolster your arrogant position. If the (imagined?) authors don't pipe up to post it publicly instead of privately in the first place and sign their own name to it, it's inconsequential (or nonexistent) and you don't get any special credit for it in justifying your behavior. That's Internet 101.

You know, being kind to people, especially when you don't have to be (ala online), will get both you and the OP much further in life than your unsolicited "helpful" criticisms ever will. He's well on his way to that at his young age. Too bad you apparently forgot or never learned the lesson at all.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:03 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times
Perhaps TurtleCreek80 could have softened the message somewhat, brutal honesty can sting a bit! Hopefully the critical comments posted will inspire A&M to raise the bar for the next paper. In my line of work writing serves a dual purpose, it's a communication tool (I know, duh, but sometimes people forget!) that can also be a form of jousting. Words are the weapons, the more effective you are depends on your writing abilities. As an engineer I lost out a bit on the writing skills in college and as I've moved on in my career away from engineering I've had to play a bit of catch up.

So, to A&M, take the criticism in stride and continue to improve yourself. As you get older and wiser your style of writing will improve and evolve just as you will personally. Be proud of your achievement but always remember each victory is but a small step on your journey.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM

Y'all, I get it! I know that comparing Texas to California is better. For my paper, comparing Texas to California would have been more of a challenge, and it would have been awkward since both have some of the same attributes for the idea I was trying to convey. I take it that y'all haven't read my posts.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:42 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
A&M, I'm going to close this thread unless you want me to reopen. I think many of the critical posts were well intentioned. Maybe sleep on it for a few days then come back and review it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston