U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,371,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Actually, I like the idea of improving walkability. I wouldn't think you'd have the same problems with people leaving dogs unattended on a restaurant patio that you've noticed in the bars. But, making a 'no unattended dogs' law would probably be prudent.
I can't imagine leaving my dog unattended. Then again I don't go to bars by myself. I always go and meet friends there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I absolutely know what you mean about inconsiderate and ignorant dog owners.... they make life so much tougher for the rest of us....

that said, my dogs are better behaved and less messy and destructive than most people's children.... the children are allowed nearly everywhere.... my dogs, not so much.....

and THAT said.... i see no problem at all with dogs being allowed in outdoor dining areas.... and would personally not mind if they were allowed in to the indoor dining areas... but given American's attitudes towards that, i don't see it happening in my lifetime.....
Its not the dogs I usually object to, its the people, but unfortunately my "ban the miserable people of the world" law still hasn't made it to the floor. The annoying dogs are usually the result of these miserable people.

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
As a bigger dog owner, I would never take mine. They'd get bored, or annoyed with little dog yapping, and find a yorkie to chew on. Frankly as a diner, I'd rather enjoy the company and food than worry about Sparky.
If your big dog is chewing on yorkies, you probably need a bit more training, . While I might applaud such an action, its generally socially unacceptable.

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM

1,954 posts, read 1,815,527 times
Where I grew up near Ft. Lauderdale, there were often people who brought dogs to the outside restaurants on the Strip. I never noticed anything strange or bothersome about it. I never saw any kind of dog mess either. I don't know if their were laws that charged high fines for not cleaning up mess. I think I remember seeing a mounted police officer once or twice. Don't know if that was just a novelty/occasional thing though.

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:48 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,408,258 times
As a dog owner/fan/nut, I love my sweet darlings--but I'm not terribly sure I'd want to bring them to a restaurant, nor would I appreciate others' dogs at a restaurant.

I understand it works in places like SF, Seattle, Key West, so maybe it would work here?

I'm with Oildog, I'm kind of torn. Probably would be willing to give it a try.

Unread 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM

8,685 posts, read 13,662,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
If your big dog is chewing on yorkies, you probably need a bit more training, . While I might applaud such an action, its generally socially unacceptable.
LOl. No he's very well trained. It was more of a joke. He's a working dog. Watching people and teacup chihuahuas sip microbrew beers in Ed Hardy and Mini Ed hardy t-shirts aren't his thing. Now if they had squirrels tied to the ceiling fans....

Unread 04-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Status: "Just saying "Hello" can lead to a million things." (set 4 days ago)

18,930 posts, read 17,902,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

that said, my dogs are better behaved and less messy and destructive than most people's children.... the children are allowed nearly everywhere.... my dogs, not so much.....

Unread 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 26,344,647 times
Those of you complaining you love your dog but: this ain't right and that ain't right, you are not real dog lovers, just dog owners.

Then we have the old useless argument about if a place allowed dogs I ain't going. Sounds a little like the argument about banning smoking and all the smoking restaurants complained their business would be shot if smoking were banned only to learn business increased 10 fold as a smoke free establishment. If dogs were allowed business would increase. True dog lovers take their dogs everywhere with them and actually seek out places where they are welcome.

I would rather go out to eat where everyone had a dog sitting with them rather then just one single bratty punk kid being there. Kids do more damage in stores and restaurants and make more noise then any dog can. I don't go where little kids are.

In all fairness though, just like there is no such thing as a bad kid, only bad parents....same goes for dogs. And in both cases there is no shortage of bad dog and kid parents.

Unread 04-14-2011, 03:53 PM

14,516 posts, read 13,191,731 times
I tend to avoid popular kid hangouts myself. There annoying to drink around and it looks bad if you whack them too.

Unread 04-14-2011, 04:00 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,408,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Those of you complaining you love your dog but: this ain't right and that ain't right, you are not real dog lovers, just dog owners.

Then we have the old useless argument about if a place allowed dogs I ain't going. Sounds a little like the argument about banning smoking and all the smoking restaurants complained their business would be shot if smoking were banned only to learn business increased 10 fold as a smoke free establishment. If dogs were allowed business would increase. True dog lovers take their dogs everywhere with them and actually seek out places where they are welcome.

I would rather go out to eat where everyone had a dog sitting with them rather then just one single bratty punk kid being there. Kids do more damage in stores and restaurants and make more noise then any dog can. I don't go where little kids are.

In all fairness though, just like there is no such thing as a bad kid, only bad parents....same goes for dogs. And in both cases there is no shortage of bad dog and kid parents.

I am a bad Dad. If you try to eat with my dogs around, you will have a dog snoot (or 3) on your leg. Not bothering you per se, but handy should anything find its way from your plate to their gullet.

That's why I'm not sure about taking them to restaurants. They also like everybody, so everybody would need to be greeted (with a friendly tail wag, possibly a little bark).

I will say, I can't stand being in the restaurant with screaming, misbehaving brats and, in my old age, I have begun to be aggressive about it. I will first glare at the parents; if that doesn't work, like it didn't at a restaurant last week (my dinner companion had a splitting headache and the child was just screaming its head off--not because it was hurting or even crying, just screaming at the top of its lungs; the stupid mother---yes, I called her stupid---just sat there carrying on her conversation as if nothing was happening), I will say something. In that case, I turned to the waitress (standing between my table and theirs) and in a voice loud enough to wake the dead, told her to tell "that stupid woman to take her brat outside." In those words.

And no, mommies with kiddies, I really, truly, genuinely do not care about your travails. Really. I don't. You are not special, you are not precious, you are not anything but stupid and rude if you let your brat ruin everybody else's dinner.

(Edit: I have also--multiple times--gone over to the table of parents whose children were perfectly behaved in restaurants and complimented them on what a great job they are obviously doing---it goes both ways).

Last edited by Malvie; 04-14-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston