Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:50 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times

Advertisements

Group urges city to allow dogs at eateries | Life | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

What are the forums thoughts on this.

I don't mind dog friendly pubs, I'm at them often. But there are too many inconsiderate owners. Everybody thinks there pup is well behaved and a good dog. Then they start interacting with other dogs and its unpredictable. All you need is one puppy or territorial dog and things go south quickly.

But more often its some d-bag owner, who ties his dog to a picnic table or a post, then goes around the pub socializing. Only coming back when when he wants to impress some girl with his dog. I've seen dogs panting, unable to get out of the summer sun. I mentioned this to one owner as he tied the dog near me, and he responded that 'she'd be ok, shes a tough dog.' and walked away. Others that came near me scowled or called me out for being cruel to a dog. I just said 'its not mine its that guys...'.

Along the same lines is 'Small girl with big dog'. Whom she has a hard time physically controlling. Seen these dart away and knock stuff over when 'finding a date' happens.

Not sure I'm sold on bringing them into establishments that serve food though. Dogs are not small people, who understand politeness and manners.

Thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Actually, I like the idea of improving walkability. I wouldn't think you'd have the same problems with people leaving dogs unattended on a restaurant patio that you've noticed in the bars. But, making a 'no unattended dogs' law would probably be prudent.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
I absolutely know what you mean about inconsiderate and ignorant dog owners.... they make life so much tougher for the rest of us....

that said, my dogs are better behaved and less messy and destructive than most people's children.... the children are allowed nearly everywhere.... my dogs, not so much.....

and THAT said.... i see no problem at all with dogs being allowed in outdoor dining areas.... and would personally not mind if they were allowed in to the indoor dining areas... but given American's attitudes towards that, i don't see it happening in my lifetime.....

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
I love dogs don't get me wrong. One thing comes to mind, dogs hygiene, particularly when they stink. Well crap, let's bring all kind of pets with us now and I would love to have a beer with my horse. Actually after few or several beers I can have a very good date / conversation with my horse.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:29 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
I am a pet lover, however, leave your pet at home when you go out to eat.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I love dogs don't get me wrong. One thing comes to mind, dogs hygiene, particularly when they stink. Well crap, let's bring all kind of pets with us now and I would love to have a beer with my horse. Actually after few or several beers I can have a very good date / conversation with my horse.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:47 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Hmmmmmm.... no! Not my kind of an eatery.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Any eating place that allows people to bring their dogs won't be getting my money.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Eh, depends on the place. Same with kids, depends on the hour of the night and the level of the restaurant. But unlike little kids, it's illegal to bring dogs into a nicer place to eat. :/

There's one near the Tanglewood dog park that has a patio. Plenty of people bring their yappie little dogs and hold them up near the food above the table. yeah,no. But everyone knows it's a place to take dogs...so you just don't go if you don't want to. Kinda like Chuckie Cheese.

As a bigger dog owner, I would never take mine. They'd get bored, or annoyed with little dog yapping, and find a yorkie to chew on. Frankly as a diner, I'd rather enjoy the company and food than worry about Sparky.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I am a pet lover, however, leave your pet at home when you go out to eat.
As much as I'd like to take my dog out to the patio of a restaurant, I think the rule as it stands is fair. OK at bars without a full menu. No chance at full restaurants. There are too many inconsiderate people who bring their ill trained dogs around to allow any more exceptions.

And anyone who puts their dog on a table, with or without a menu, should be immediately thrown out. That's disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston