Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 04:01 PM

171 posts, read 414,295 times

Advertisements

Woke up today to find out about this. Surprised it wasn't already posted. It really is a shame to see what's happening to the school system. This was unheard of not even 2 years ago when I was still in high school. I would have never have imagined seeing school funding protests in front of what used to call itself the "best high school in America". At least the kids got some excitement for the day I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 04:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
From what I've heard, Katy and Seven Lakes aren't getting that many layoffs. About five teachers for each. Mayde Creek and Taylor High are each getting 50+. Morton Ranch is getting about 25-30+. Not sure what Cinco is. All the protests were peaceful, except for Mayde Creek's. There were riots and students pulled the fire alarms. Apparently the principal got hit in the head, too.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,099 times
Not sure what high school in Katy ISD was the "best high school in America"...ever. These budget cuts have made sure that no Katy high school will even be in the Top 100 nationwide for quite some time.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 PM

171 posts, read 414,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
Not sure what high school in Katy ISD was the "best high school in America"...ever. These budget cuts have made sure that no Katy high school will even be in the Top 100 nationwide for quite some time.
I said they called themselves that. Even on the digitized message board they would scroll things like "Best Janitors in America" and so on. Far from reality Cinco was never perfect and honestly can't be, but from what it was to what it is now, it's a complete change not for the better.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,791 times
The situation with the teachers is pretty bad, but I'm sure a lot of those students just wanted a day off too.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,152 times
Check out this article on the student protests in Katy:
Katy I.S.D. High School Students Protest - Houston K-12 | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/k-12-in-houston/katy-i-s-d-high-school-students-protest - broken link)

Old 04-24-2011, 02:42 PM

22 posts, read 58,653 times
Default Too many chiefs and not enough Indians

It's commendable that students protest teacher layoffs. However, what they should be protesting is the excessive amount of "administrators" the schools are burdened with.

Public schools have county superintendents, principals, counselors, spokesmen and every has position has its assistants, sub-assistants, vice assistants, deputy assistants, etc., etc., etc. Only about five percent of this army of administrators is needed. The remaining 95 percent are deadwood and should be fired.

Most schools have more "administrators" than teachers. Tell that to the students (they don't even know it). Ask the students to protest that.

Fire the administrators and hire more teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: