U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 AM

87 posts, read 188,327 times
Unhappy Carpet Over Concrete Slab

So we need to install some carpet over concrete slab, the old carpet was taken out 2 weeks ago or so, we mopped the slab with bleach/water and let it breathe for a week now. It is what I consider dry, but there is some sweating maybe or moisture. I am told to be a sealer like DryLok then I am told nope don't do taht get a moisture barrier pad, then I am told nope don't do anything. I am totally lost.........when the old carpet was removed it smelled musty and so did the slab. High soil is around that side of the house so we have to work on that but was also need to put the carpet in............

I am told here in Houston it is no uncommon to have some moisture come up through the slab with our humidity levels and all, and considering the slab is older. Plus who knows if a moisture barrier was placed between the soil and slab when it was built.........

I am about to pull my hair out......the slab has a few hairline cracks.....maybe just seal those and move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Sorry for the typos guys :-(

Old 04-15-2011, 08:04 AM

8,874 posts, read 14,904,801 times
I've never dealt with carpet over slab. Over old hardwoods yes.

I know people that have level cured a whole room, in a brand new house, before doing the glue down wood. The installer suggested it for a level floor as well as protecting the adhesive from moisture. And after reading the below, I would for sure use it if I was doing carpet over slab.

"Level-Cure may be used in interior applications where a permanentwater-resistant surface is required for receiving decorative floorcoverings." http://www.texrite.com/images/datash...TE7QVEneLg.pdf[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 04-15-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 AM

779 posts, read 957,645 times
I pulled laminate wood out, and saw a tiny amount of mildew. I bleach washed it down, and let it breathe for two days. It looked and felt dry, but the wood flooring installers had a humidity tester that said it was too humid to lay wood. We had to wait three or four more days before they would continue. I did a paint on type of humidity barrier. My slab looked and felt 100% dry.

If yours looks and feels moist, you have a very significant amount of moisture. You need a real professional to address that issue FIRST. Being impatient now is going to be VERY expensive in the long run.

I used and recommend Johnny Blalock for drainage/landscaping issues.
Houston Drains | Blalock Landscaping & Drainage

He is sharp as heck, and has seen it all. A&M grad. I am very impressed with him, and he is very easy to do business with.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
I pulled laminate wood out, and saw a tiny amount of mildew. I bleach washed it down, and let it breathe for two days. It looked and felt dry, but the wood flooring installers had a humidity tester that said it was too humid to lay wood. We had to wait three or four more days before they would continue. I did a paint on type of humidity barrier. My slab looked and felt 100% dry.

If yours looks and feels moist, you have a very significant amount of moisture. You need a real professional to address that issue FIRST. Being impatient now is going to be VERY expensive in the long run.

I used and recommend Johnny Blalock for drainage/landscaping issues.
Houston Drains | Blalock Landscaping & Drainage

He is sharp as heck, and has seen it all. A&M grad. I am very impressed with him, and he is very easy to do business with.

What kind of humidity barrier paint did you use?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM

779 posts, read 957,645 times
I honestly dont remember, got it at Floor and Decor off 45 and 1960. It was a dark green color. The paint on is a minimal barrier, but I figured it was better than nothing.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks, my husband is going to put a sealer, because although our concrete is dry, its still kind of cold to the touch and when I put my palm over the concrete in the closets and smell my hand it smells like a wet rag....... I think he is using a professional sealer I think its IAQ 6000 and then we will have to work on the drainage around the house........ the soil is too high all around........boy what a task......

Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 PM

3,660 posts, read 2,991,252 times
Some say to tape down a piece of plastic film for a few days. If there is condensation under it, moisture is wicking up from the slab. We have heavy black plastic between the dirt and the slab, but when we taped down the plastic, there was condensation.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Crone, I am guessing its drainage issues around the foundation? I don't know the hisotry of this home, it was built in the 70's so I am not sure if the plastic between the dirt and slap was ever put when it was built. When you have condensation problems then what happens?? I mean with this humid Houston weather I don't even know what to think...........

Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,732,551 times
Is that the only room you pulled the carpet up in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: