Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:42 PM

29 posts, read 116,539 times

Advertisements

Okay city-data friends, I appreciate all contributions you guys provide day-in, day-out. I've read quite a bit on best places to live for African Americans and I've narrowed my option down to Houston, TX. I'm moving this summer, and I'm trying to figure out which are the best neighborhoods.

I'm in my 30s, African American female. I have a six year old who would be going to school. I make very good income and have no problems relocating with my job! So, work is not an issue. I am relocating from Arlington, Virginia, where everything is crazy expensive and my nice lil' condo is on the market for $750k.

So, I've heard Pearland and Sugarland are great neighborhoods. Is this true? are there any others?

I want a place that's culturally and racially mixed, has its share of educated professionals (middle/upper class people), has good schools, young 30s & 40s folks, and diverse. I also want a place with a low crime rate. Please share any insight you may have. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:12 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
You might get better responses in the Houston forum.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
You might get better responses in the Houston forum.
Oh, thank you. I have posted in that forum.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,100,657 times
Where is your job going to be located. That will make most of the difference. Any suburb in Houston is going to be racial and culturally mixed. All three have schools and crime in the same levels. Budget should not be a problem since you can get a nice size house for a lot less than half the price of your condo.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:55 PM

105 posts, read 236,301 times
They are all nice areas. I would pick the one that is closest to where you will be working and start your search there. Add the Woodlands to your list for a northern option.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
Where is your job going to be located. That will make most of the difference. Any suburb in Houston is going to be racial and culturally mixed. All three have schools and crime in the same levels. Budget should not be a problem since you can get a nice size house for a lot less than half the price of your condo.
Thanks Liljo22 . . . I will be working from home majority of the time, and traveling back to the DC area once a month.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milrtime83 View Post
They are all nice areas. I would pick the one that is closest to where you will be working and start your search there. Add the Woodlands to your list for a northern option.
Will do . . . I haven't heard anything about Woodlands yet, but will definitely add it to my research list. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM

57 posts, read 86,936 times
Im having the same concern, sista. Except Im single.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:47 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibio7 View Post
Thanks Liljo22 . . . I will be working from home majority of the time, and traveling back to the DC area once a month.
I think another important question is how much you want to spend on a home here in Houston? Do you want to spend $750k here as well? If so, then you might reconsider your location and find a few areas where the land value is higher than in the suburbs. Areas like Upper Kirby, Galleria, or Memorial. $750k will buy you a very large home in the suburbs, maybe too large. I'm reading your post as only being a family of 2.

Now, if you want to slash your budget in half, then you would still get a large home in the suburbs like Pearland/Sugarland but you wouldn't have an excessively large home. Other suburbs to consider are Clear Lake, The Woodlands, and Katy.

You might also consider proximity to museums, good restaurants, parks, etc. Are these important?

Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 26,922 times
I grew up in Sugar Land and it is ranked in the top 100 places to raise a family in America. Little to no crime execpt for the fact that drugs are everywhere, but no gangs, no homicides, robberies things of that nature. Great schools ecpecially Clements High School, but I must say make your kid chose the right friends the school it is full or rich spoiled kids snd because of all the money thier parents give them about 80-90% of the school has or is on marijuana, and alcohol...but they are all REALLY smart and the school is ranked in the top 10 public and private in all of Greater Houston. It is very culturaly diverse, but about 45% are Indian, Mid Eastern or East Asian with another 40% being white about 8% black and 7% hispanic so it's a very diffrent experience. Homes are pricey for Houston a 3000 sq ft. is about 300k, everyone is very friendly and it is safe to be out at any time of the day, it is loaded with police. In the neighboorhood of Sweetwater thier are a bunch of local sports cleberties who live in thier including T-MAC, VInce Carter, Shaq, Brad Miller, Hunter Pence, and others. Best neighboorhood would be Avalon look in thier and First Colony I would stay out of Dulles and "old Sugar Land" not that bad of areas but no good. The woodlands is almost identical just in the Northern Part of Houston, but more rich from my experience. I have never been in the Pearland area sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston