Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM

59 posts, read 314,831 times

Advertisements

I've never had to purchase this and need to before I move into my apartment. Any recommendations on where I should go about buying this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,112,821 times
It must be a Richdale Property, ther're the only ones who I know who do that. Probably not a bad thing to have, but I don't like it when they try to force you to get it. Almost like a scam, like the Apartments owners and the insurance company are in it together.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 PM

193 posts, read 435,474 times
We used our car insurance provider and got a small discount for bundling insurances together.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,993,392 times
Use your car insurance provider like said above. I used it with Farmers and State Farm. For 10k of coverage it cost less than 200 bucks for the year. It's cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
It must be a Richdale Property, ther're the only ones who I know who do that. Probably not a bad thing to have, but I don't like it when they try to force you to get it. Almost like a scam, like the Apartments owners and the insurance company are in it together.
Not getting it is STUPID.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,460,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

Not getting it is STUPID.
Most renters insurance covers 20k-30k worth of damages or loss. Not getting insurance is really a personal decision depending upon how much you keep in your emergency fund, how much your belongings are worth, etc. If you keep 3-6 months income in your emergency fund (not doing this or at least planning to by putting away money every month for an emergency is...irresponsible) you might not want to spend the money on insurance. However, for $20 a month I would think that it is much more reasonable to get the insurance. Dave Ramsey is a great resource for financial planning and offers lots of great advice on how much insurance you should carry and how much is too much.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 AM

594 posts, read 1,245,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Nope. Most of the larger complexes require this. We have lived in Archstone, Alexan, Windsor, and Camden and all of them required renter's insurance. I even carried it when I lived in a garage apartment. I made decent money and had savings but if everything I owned were to get destroyed, it would have been hard for me to replace it. I'm sure many other apartment dwellers are the same.

Let's see... I had Nationwide I believe. I covered 20K worth of belongings (I think that was the minimum- because I did not own that much!) and it was like $13 a month or something like that.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM

37 posts, read 141,693 times
I've used my insurance agent, but we always have Travelers. They are less expensive and I think a reliable company.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,742,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston_alex View Post
I've never had to purchase this and need to before I move into my apartment. Any recommendations on where I should go about buying this? Thanks.
Fill out different quotes online, pick the one that gives you the cheapest one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston