U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM
 
9,995 posts, read 9,692,921 times
Reputation: 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, like hills are such a high priority right. LMAO, Hills to me are nuisances unless I am going downhill, and since I can't go downhill all the time then screw the darn hills.



In terms of culture they would be about even but Houston would have more of it.

In terms of activities for Kids they would be tied with a slight edge to Atlanta.

In terms of Adult activities I would give Houston the slight edge.

Houston has a beach in its Metro. In your other thread someone mentioned that you can just vacation in Miami, well you can vacation in Miami from anywhere. having beaches in the metro and flying to the beach are two different things all together. One involves a drive there and back, the other involves spending money on air fare, hotels, food, etc.

Houston is more Diverse than ATL. And apart from that the diversity has been more ingrained. So while you may see more Asians in ATL, they have been here in Houston in such large numbers for so long that it is a big so what. The same with Hispanics. Houston is very welcoming to people from everywhere.

As for the airports, like they mentioned before getting to the airport in ATL may be a chore depending on where you live, but with one in the North in Houston and one in the south, they are very accessible to the bulk of the population.

The Big airport sits between I-45, I59 and Beltway 8, while the smaller one is near Loop 610 and I45, so both are really accessible via alternative routes.
HtownLove, that was awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 PM
 
926 posts, read 656,473 times
Reputation: 235
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 AM
 
9,995 posts, read 9,692,921 times
Reputation: 2019
This thread in the Atlanta forum is so funny. Atlantans are bashing Houston "around the bush." LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM
 
1,504 posts, read 1,496,970 times
Reputation: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by httownlove
well that just doesn't make sense hun. Why would anyone purposefully drive to traffic if they are not already in it. Like I said there are alternatives. If you are on I 10 then don't go threw the galleria.

anyway no one goes from I 10 to Bellaire threw Galleria anyway. That is just pure foolishness. That would be like going from Down town to Pearland and deciding to take the surface streets through the med center just to prove a point. That is ridiculous
Give me any route 5 routes in Houston and I can show you the freeways are faster on atleast 4 of them. Houston is not secondary road friendly. That's why there are so many freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 14,748,794 times
Reputation: 7231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Give me any route 5 routes in Houston and I can show you the freeways are faster on atleast 4 of them. Houston is not secondary road friendly. That's why there are so many freeways.
who said that the freeways are not faster? I said there are alternatives that are poorly utilized, do you know what that means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM
 
1,504 posts, read 1,496,970 times
Reputation: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
who said that the freeways are not faster? I said there are alternatives that are poorly utilized, do you know what that means?
Holy crap do you understand what this argument has been about? No one is going to use the slower routes. I assumed your argument was that the during peak times, people just sit on the freeways rather than get where they're going faster on the secondary roads. I pointed out that even trying to do that, I end up moving slower on the secondary roads than the freeways. And now you're telling me Houstonites should be using the slower secondary roads because....they're underutilized? Boy, you're out of your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 14,748,794 times
Reputation: 7231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Holy crap do you understand what this argument has been about? No one is going to use the slower routes. I assumed your argument was that the during peak times, people just sit on the freeways rather than get where they're going faster on the secondary roads. I pointed out that even trying to do that, I end up moving slower on the secondary roads than the freeways. And now you're telling me Houstonites should be using the slower secondary roads because....they're underutilized? Boy, you're out of your mind.
see you just jump into conversations flinging accusations without knowing contexts. How about saving time and asking first.

where do you come up with this nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 05:50 PM
 
1,504 posts, read 1,496,970 times
Reputation: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
see you just jump into conversations flinging accusations without knowing contexts. How about saving time and asking first.

where do you come up with this nonsense?
Dude, if you agree that Houston's secondary roads are not faster, you have answered your own question about why people don't use them. And its not cause we're in love with the freeway system. Its cause they suck to move in and out of town. Atlanta's, while not being grid pattern, can often get you around town much faster if traffic clogs the artery roads and I used them all the time to go West to East and South to North. They sacrifice more stoplights for being able to move traffic faster. Maybe if Houston had not given in to every stoplight demanding neighborhood, it would be able to do the same thing. But alas, as development happens, the secondary roads hamper progress rather than helping it in comparison to our relatively smooth working freeways (though they then clog because there are no alternate routes for commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,832 posts, read 18,434,297 times
Reputation: 6637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Dude, if you agree that Houston's secondary roads are not faster, you have answered your own question about why people don't use them. And its not cause we're in love with the freeway system. Its cause they suck to move in and out of town. Atlanta's, while not being grid pattern, can often get you around town much faster if traffic clogs the artery roads and I used them all the time to go West to East and South to North. They sacrifice more stoplights for being able to move traffic faster. Maybe if Houston had not given in to every stoplight demanding neighborhood, it would be able to do the same thing. But alas, as development happens, the secondary roads hamper progress rather than helping it in comparison to our relatively smooth working freeways (though they then clog because there are no alternate routes for commuters.
Secondary roads aren't meant to be faster.What are you attempting to prove here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM
 
1,504 posts, read 1,496,970 times
Reputation: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Secondary roads aren't meant to be faster.What are you attempting to prove here??
*sigh* faster during traffic to relieve problem areas. HTownLove was saying that Houstonians underutilize secondary roads during traffic because we "love" our freeways when we should be using them. I pointed out that they're just as bad at getting you somewhere during traffic hours as the freeways, which is why Houstonians REMAIN ON THE FREEWAYS. Good grief!

Atlanta's secondary roads are ACTUALLY alternates. Houston's secondary roads are no where close (unless the freeway is physically shut down).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top