Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 51,854 times

Advertisements

Hello. I will be moving to Houston in a month from Louisiana and I am looking to buy a house for me and my son. My budget is 120,000.
I was looking into the missouri city area, cause it seemed to have some very affordable listings especially considering that its the suburbs. But yet people have been saying that the area is ghetto has poor schools, and a crime problem. When I drove through along Texas State 6, I saw some very nice nieghborhoods and shopping areas and it looked very upscale. I don't understand. Where these people exagerrating. I didn't see what looked like a bad area.

Can anyone give me the scoop on Missouri City, Cause I saw some nice looking houses for 50,000-80,000 and I thats seems like a steal to me in today's real estate market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 02:32 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
I am on the opposite side of town from Missouri City, and I rarely have visited Ft Bend county. So I don't know anything about Missouri City. But as a general rule - get a $50,000 home anywhere in the Houston area and you will be constantly looking over your back. It may look nice driving by, but there is a reason it is so cheap. Try walking that neighborhood at night.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
I moved from Louisiana too. The Mo is bad, no personal experiences but I know it can get bad there. I think Hoovers (crips) pretty much run that area, not sure of other gangs though.
There are some decent places too though.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I moved from Louisiana too. The Mo is bad, no personal experiences but I know it can get bad there. I think Hoovers (crips) pretty much run that area, not sure of other gangs though.
There are some decent places too though.
Cool. What part of Louisiana are you from?
Do the crips run the whole area or just certain neighborhoods? The neighborhoods I saw Like Sienna and Lakes of Olypia looked really upscale. Now I know that they are way beyond my price range but I'm just saying it looked nice. I though Missouri was ranked as a good place to live.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,100,657 times
The developments along hwy 6 are nice but other areas of Missouri City are sketchy.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:16 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I am on the opposite side of town from Missouri City, and I rarely have visited Ft Bend county. So I don't know anything about Missouri City. But as a general rule - get a $50,000 home anywhere in the Houston area and you will be constantly looking over your back. It may look nice driving by, but there is a reason it is so cheap. Try walking that neighborhood at night.
This person is correct. Nothing wrong with Missouri City, but I would avoid any community with homes priced at $50,000. No community is going to be perfect and that includes Missouri City. You can find a nice place to live in your price range. Just take a drive/walk through the community on the weekend or after 5 on the weekday when everyone is home and you can see just what the neighbors are really like.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMitch View Post
Hello. I will be moving to Houston in a month from Louisiana and I am looking to buy a house for me and my son. My budget is 120,000.
I was looking into the missouri city area, cause it seemed to have some very affordable listings especially considering that its the suburbs. But yet people have been saying that the area is ghetto has poor schools, and a crime problem. When I drove through along Texas State 6, I saw some very nice nieghborhoods and shopping areas and it looked very upscale. I don't understand. Where these people exagerrating. I didn't see what looked like a bad area.

Can anyone give me the scoop on Missouri City, Cause I saw some nice looking houses for 50,000-80,000 and I thats seems like a steal to me in today's real estate market.
It depends on what parts of Missouri city your talking about. Anything west of 2234 and south of cartwright should be ok. The neighborhoods around highway 6 are newer developments, so the closer the better.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
It depends on what parts of Missouri city your talking about. Anything west of 2234 and south of cartwright should be ok. The neighborhoods around highway 6 are newer developments, so the closer the better.
Ok, I the listings I saw on HAR were mostly in the Hunters Glen subdivision. There were also some in the Briargate Subdivision. I'm not sure where that is in relationg to 2234 and cartwright so I don't know if its in the area that you are referring too.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:42 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMitch View Post
Ok, I the listings I saw on HAR were mostly in the Hunters Glen subdivision. There were also some in the Briargate Subdivision. I'm not sure where that is in relationg to 2234 and cartwright so I don't know if its in the area that you are referring too.
Those neighborhoods are east of 2234/Texas pkwy. Definitely stay away from Briargate area.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Those neighborhoods are east of 2234/Texas pkwy. Definitely stay away from Briargate area.
I'm assuming by your response that Briargate is bad. What about Hunters Glen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston