Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelicateimage View Post
Any one from Houston, why do residents have to pay tax on Port of Houston Authority? (http://www.hctax.net/pressreleases/2008/tax/notices/RatePortOfHouston.pdf - broken link)

are their no ships that dock here? do they not pay taxes on imports? In New England, companies that use a port pay fees.
Great question!

We pay to continuously improve & maintain the port. Why don't the users (AKA ships that dock) pay it? I'm sure they do, but not enough. So we pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM

17 posts, read 61,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
great question!

We pay to continuously improve & maintain the port. Why don't the users (aka ships that dock) pay it? I'm sure they do, but not enough. So we pay more.

lol, do you get to use the docks for free?

Old 11-10-2008, 02:24 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Great question!

We pay to continuously improve & maintain the port. Why don't the users (AKA ships that dock) pay it? I'm sure they do, but not enough. So we pay more.
We do use the port...as our dump. At the very least, the port authority has one boat out almost continuously just cleaning up all the plastic bottles and garbage that folks throw down their storm drains, ditches, etc. and wash out into the port waters. The boat is called the Mighty Tidy...poor thing got kind of beat up by old Ike though and is currently sitting on top of a city dock waiting to be repaired. There is a lot more maintenance and environmental restoration that the port also does. The port also operates a pretty good fireboat/truck service, etc.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:36 PM

17 posts, read 61,657 times
Im looking to move to either Houston or San Antonio. i run a photography service (small) and my wife is a cna.

im guessing because Houston is bigger about 2.1 million according to google, i would do better in Houston.

what im gathering is taxes are high from this forum.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-11-2008 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: If you're looking for more info on Houston, send me a DM as we'll need to move your post & start a new thread... new2sa

Old 11-11-2008, 12:42 PM

95 posts, read 338,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
If you match dollar for dollar and apply it to every state then Texas ranks very high(ie; 300k/CA = 3k/yr vs. 300k/TX = 10k/yr in property tax)
Really? That's not what these folks determined:

The Tax Foundation - Texas' State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2008

Their info shows Texas as having the 7th lowest combined state/local tax burden in the nation for 2008.

As I said previously you can't just look at property taxes since we have no state income tax.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM

55 posts, read 85,688 times
Do Texas/Houston give war veteran the property tax deduction? Because here in NY, we have 25% off the tax deduction for home owner who served in the war.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:03 PM

95 posts, read 338,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrangers View Post
Do Texas/Houston give war veteran the property tax deduction? Because here in NY, we have 25% off the tax deduction for home owner who served in the war.
I've seen properties on HCAD with Disabled Vet. exemptions but I've never seen anything for just being a Vet.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:19 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeshia View Post
Really? That's not what these folks determined:

The Tax Foundation - Texas' State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2008

Their info shows Texas as having the 7th lowest combined state/local tax burden in the nation for 2008.

As I said previously you can't just look at property taxes since we have no state income tax.
Let me try to walk you through this SLOWLY, If you come up with a data that shows only the home owners(since we're talking property taxes) I'll guarantee you that Texas is rank in the upper half of the states

What you have is a link comparing taxes per capita(renters and owners), so if you're renting in Texas you'll only have to worry about sales and fed. taxes(no Big property taxes) and If I'm renting in CA. I still have to pay sales, Fed. and State income taxes. The reason your link doesn't tell the whole story is because it's not separating the home owners from the renters. Now if I use the owners in this equation the Texas property tax will exceed the State income in most cases.

The only way I see Texas Tax system benefiting me is if I'm making over 200k a year(therefore I would be sweating the Income taxes) but since I'm only making 70-85k a year due to lower wages in Texas, a state Income tax wouldn't really hurt me knowing I can write most of it off as a home owner, ect...

Last edited by usc619; 11-12-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 03:52 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Property taxes in Texas are ridiculous, you could rent, avoid paying these outrageous taxes and still reap the benefits of schools, roads, ems, ect... as the home owners LOL

The properties in Texas don't appreciate all that fast(due to too much land), so it's not like you're putting money in a safe investment, more like a money pit if you ask me.

Check this, add up the money you'll spend on property taxes over a span of 10 years(ie; 3.5 @ 200k / 10 x 7,000 = 70,000) and it will probably far exceed the equity you've accumulate over the same span.
My renters pay ALL of the taxes and insurance in their rent and so do YOU.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:55 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
14 other states huh? I guess that did not include NY, NJ, CA, HI, CN, and others. 42 other states pay higher taxes then Texas. Texas is number 43 of 50 states having the lowest tax.

Texas also has the 13th largest economy in the world. Meaning it is larger then nearly all other countries even. No wonder so many people are relocating here.........
But they are moving down here and will mess it up... And how is the fishing on lake Livingston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston