U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM

104 posts, read 105,973 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article the other day and I came across something very interesting...

You know, it is truly interesting...we live in a conservative city in a very conservative state and yet I cannot quite understand why this phenomenon is taking place.

I have conservative friends that have graduated or are in the process of completing their graduate degrees and instead of anxiously awaiting the next big oil career fair (ExxonMobil, Shell, Anadarko...what have you) they are finding jobs/internships with the federal government and the non-profit sector.

I don't quite understand this. I thought conservative Texans looked forward to the day when they themselves or their children would step foot in the pearly gates of ExxonMobil headquarters...where competition, leadership, and innovation creates opportunities that are theoretically unlimited.

What I am also noticing is that these same people are eagerly taking on the ideals of a new type of non-profit...one based on competition, profit, and efficiency.

My question is though, what happens when we start running non-profit organizations the same way we would run a corporate organization? What happens when we pay the top executive of a non-profit the same compensation as the CEO of Anadarko? What happens when we start hiring leadership with a primary goal of profit without a heart to serve the people? How do you feel about the new breed of idealistic graduates who believe in cut-throat competition and crude marketing tactics (perfect fit for Exxon, Shell...but not enough jobs for them)...mixed in with a bit of humanitarian zest and social engineering...changing the face of how non-profits operate?

Do you embrace it or fear it?

I have no biases...just curious! =)

Last edited by Lauren_Ashley; 05-02-2011 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,008,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_Ashley012 View Post

My question is though, what happens when we start running non-profit organization the same way we would run a corporate organization? What happens when we pay the top executive of a non-profit the same compensation as the CEO of Anadarko? What happens when we start hiring leadership with a primary goal of profit without a heart to serve the people?
I'm not totally sure, but, I think what's supposed to happen is that you go out and take over, buy, or lease the biggest former basketball arena you can find, add thousands more seats, call it a church....and you're on your way to accomplishing all of those things.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
I'm not totally sure, but, I think what's supposed to happen is that you go out and take over, buy, or lease the biggest former basketball arena you can find, add thousands more seats, call it a church....and you're on your way to accomplishing all of those things.

Do you believe that this is an opportunity for non-profits to use capitalistic principals to make their organizations more broad reaching and efficient? I could be wrong, but I think many would argue that there are a lot of inefficiencies and waste that goes on in non-profits in comparison to for profit corporations. Many would argue that it is best to get rid of the waste and focus on what brings in results.

Again, I have no experience with non-profits so it would not be my place to judge. My place is to listen and learn from those with business experience and I am truly very curious to know more about the changes that I am currently seeing.

Last edited by Lauren_Ashley; 05-02-2011 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_Ashley012 View Post
Do you believe that this is an opportunity for non-profits to use capitalistic principals to make their organizations more broad reaching and efficient?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,030,418 times
It is a blurry line. There are merits to running a nonprof organization as any other coorporation though. By hiring the best in the business world, the idea is that he/she can take the organization to new levels through proper networking, advertizing, reducing overhead, branding etc. If these NP's don't offer a good employment package, they'll lose out on most of the good leaders/innovators out there. More visibility and gross for a NP would mean, in theory, that it can help more people. Hopefully though, the directors of those NP will keep their hands out of the cookie jar and also remember the mission of the NP. That is where it gets blurry.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
No bias, I am here to learn.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Is it possible that your conservative friends with graduate degrees taking jobs with the federal government and / or non- profits are doing so because those are the only job offers they got? Not trying to be a smart alec, but there are plenty of folks with 5,10,20 years of real business experience doing what they have to do these days. And, sometimes it isn't remotely close to what they prefer, or studied to do career wise.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
It is a blurry line. There are merits to running a nonprof organization as any other coorporation though. By hiring the best in the business world, the idea is that he/she can take the organization to new levels through proper networking, advertizing, reducing overhead, branding etc. If these NP's don't offer a good employment package, they'll lose out on most of the good leaders/innovators out there. More visibility and gross for a NP would mean, in theory, that it can help more people. Hopefully though, the directors of those NP will keep their hands out of the cookie jar and also remember the mission of the NP. That is where it gets blurry.
You know you bring up an excellent point. However being a people person...I do have a question.

I think we are quite aware that the top executives of say...BP and (I wont bring up an American company) Saudi Aramco are not in it because of a true heart felt desire to bring oil/gas (energy) to every corner of the world. I doubt the top executives of BP dream about how a new exploration project will bring jobs and opportunity to BP Nigeria...or how a natural gas pipeline would positively effect the region of Dagestan or the area around the Caspian sea.

The difference is though, we know its all about profit. We know its not about improving the lives of people (even though oil/gas companies do engage in many humanitarian projects).

The thing about non-profits is that is about people. Not just the people you serve but the people that you employ as well. On every level (not just the bottom level) there has to be a value system in place. Is it right to create the same type of competition/capitalistic environment that may bring a large short term profit...only to be self defeating in the long term?

Again, I am speaking from all different sides...no bias.

Last edited by Lauren_Ashley; 05-02-2011 at 10:12 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Is it possible that your conservative friends with graduate degrees taking jobs with the federal government and / or non- profits are doing so because those are the only job offers they got? Not trying to be a smart alec, but there are plenty of folks with 5,10,20 years of real business experience doing what they have to do these days. And, sometimes it isn't remotely close to what they prefer, or studied to do career wise.

Well, is there no loyalty to their value system? Why not wait for the right job opportunity with the type of organization/corporation that prides itself on the same philosophies that they stand for? I am not saying that it is wrong or right...I am just curious?

I think person with a left/liberal mentality can do very well in a highly capitalistic corporate structure. I also believe that a right/conservative can do very well in a government/non-profit organization.

I don't mean anything by it. I am just curious about their motivation and how their ideals with impact the organizations they choose to serve.

I am an African American female and I have bit (very tiny) experience with how non-profits operate. I am terribly open-minded and I really just want to understand.

Last edited by Lauren_Ashley; 05-02-2011 at 10:39 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Not- for- profits need funding to operate. Many are set up as foundations, or endowments, or other entities that hold large corporate stock funds. Therefore, they have a vested interest in the profitability of these held corporations. Many rely entirely upon corporate contributions. Those are made out of corporate profits. It takes money to do most things, good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or