U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:11 PM

31 posts, read 49,141 times

Advertisements

Where would you recommend selling a used car online for the Houston and surrounding areas? Any experiences to share? Just want to get some feedback before I try to list my used car. I was thinking about chron.com. I am kind of leery of craigslist since you hear about so many scams related to it. Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 455,490 times
autotrader.com maybe?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:41 PM

1,508 posts, read 1,662,221 times
I have sold several cars on craigslist, no problems. The key is just recognizing the scammers before you give out any information. If they say they are out of town and want to buy sight unseen, they are scamming you. Only deal with people that want to come see the car and only accept cash or cashiers checks with the stipulation of retention until the check clears all levels. If this is uncomfortable for you, try carmax. You'll have the same problem with autotrader or any paper ad because anything that costs scammers nothing to browse will have them.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,907,641 times
Craigslist Houston is free you could also try Houston Classifieds Free Classifieds Ads for Houston Texas at eBay Classifieds

Old 05-09-2011, 09:55 AM

787 posts, read 1,030,139 times
Craigslist is pretty good, I sold a Jeep with it. Autotrader attracts a lot of high priced crud with their unlimited renewals. People just leave cars on there, and lower the price every month to their payoff, hoping to catch someone willing to pay off their negative equity. I rarely check AT.

I just traded in a 2010 Tundra recently. Used car prices are inflated right now(especially low mileage). Its easier than usual to get out of them. Take it to Carmax and get a quote, you might be surprised.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 AM

599 posts, read 924,808 times
What are the steps after selling a car on craigslist? What is the process of exchanging the car title to the new owner?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 AM

1,508 posts, read 1,662,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
What are the steps after selling a car on craigslist? What is the process of exchanging the car title to the new owner?
(If you have no liens and a clear Texas Title)

Fill out a "Bill of Sale", sign of the Texas title and fill in part of the "Texas Title Transfer Document" and that is pretty much the entire process. Keep a bill of sale copy for yourself to protect yourself in case the buyer does something illegal (that gives you a signed document stating the car is no longer yours). Cancel your insurance ASAP and inform them you no longer own the car. I can't think of anything else from the seller's side once all checks have cleared. Then its all up to the buyer.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 AM

738 posts, read 1,376,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
Read this:

Protect your Title, Texas

Definitely follow the step where you fill out the vehicle transfer notification online within 30 days. This will protect you if they run up a bunch of tolls or parking tickets.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM

185 posts, read 516,344 times
I've sold cars with Craigslist and Autotrader. One downside to Autotrader is I started receiving telemarketer calls, such as people saying they can sell the car for me.

I'd also recommend taking the car to Carmax and getting a quote. You might be happy with their price, and it's at least a good measurement when trying the sell the car yourself. For example, if Carmax will buy the car for $10K, and someone offers you $10.5K, you can decide whether it's worth the extra hassle for $500. And then you also know not to accept an offer that's less than the Carmax price.

The other thing I'd recommend is being very careful about accepting payment. A cashier's check is just a piece of paper that can be forged as easily as a check. If the buyer is taking a loan, you'll probably have to go to their bank to close the sale, which is nice because you get a check from their bank.

If the buyer isn't taking a loan, here's what I do: I meet the buyer at their bank, go with them in line to get the cashier's check, then give them the car and complete the paper work. Maybe even this isn't 100% reliable, but I take comfort from being there when they get the check.

Good luck, and be prepared to deal with some weird, difficult people.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:49 PM

31 posts, read 49,141 times
Thank you to everyone who took the time to give me their advice, share their experiences and so on. It is much appreciated and I feel more confident going into this process of selling my used car.

Keep your fingers crossed for me to get a good price and no weird difficult people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston