Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,565 times

Advertisements

Why do you need a study? seriously? Just do it... Asia and Europe is full of high-speed rail links.. This is SO need it in Texas..... I love those things when I go to Europe or Asia.....

TxDOT gets grant to study Houston-Dallas high-speed rail | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,409 times
argh!

they are forever studying something, then nothing comes to fruition. We don't seem to hear what comes of those studies.

I'm with you, they just need to do it.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Meh....

Just like the study to see why college students become horny after drinking. Good money put to use there.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 AM

279 posts, read 724,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Why do you need a study? seriously? Just do it...
That would be monkey engineering.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 AM

105 posts, read 236,301 times
Does Dallas have any useful public transportation within the city? Houston sure doesn't. Someone takes this high speed train from Dallas to Houston and then what? Rent a car to get where you are going?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 AM

958 posts, read 2,573,176 times
Waste of money

Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milrtime83 View Post
Does Dallas have any useful public transportation within the city? Houston sure doesn't. Someone takes this high speed train from Dallas to Houston and then what? Rent a car to get where you are going?
I guess you could ask that question about air travel: "Does Dallas have any useful public transportation within the city? Houston sure doesn't. Someone takes this airplane from Dallas to Houston and then what? Rent a car to get where you are going?"

It's like you are channeling 1954!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
I guess you could ask that question about air travel: "Does Dallas have any useful public transportation within the city? Houston sure doesn't. Someone takes this airplane from Dallas to Houston and then what? Rent a car to get where you are going?"

It's like you are channeling 1954!
Except that in 1954 we actually had the money for this kind of needless waste of taxpayer money. If individuals want to travel between Houston and Dallas, let them pay for it themselves. There is a perfectly good freeway that one can drive on in 4 hours, and then not have to depend on taxpayer dollars to get them around town when they get there.

If people want this so bad, let them pay for it themselves. We have more important priorities to spend public money on than this.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Except that in 1954 we actually had the money for this kind of needless waste of taxpayer money. If individuals want to travel between Houston and Dallas, let them pay for it themselves. There is a perfectly good freeway that one can drive on in 4 hours, and then not have to depend on taxpayer dollars to get them around town when they get there.

If people want this so bad, let them pay for it themselves. We have more important priorities to spend public money on than this.
Except driving in a car is WAY more dangerous than traveling in an airplane or on a train.

And if a train is built between Houston and Dallas, then people WOULD be paying for it themselves via your own tax dollars.

Personally we drive between Houston and DFW a lot because we live here in Houston, yet all of our family lives in the DFW area. I frankly HATE making that drive. It's long and boring. I have to bring along a bunch of crap to entertain 2 young children during the drive. It takes us a lot longer than 4 hours because we have to make periodic stops for said young children. It's just a PITA.

As for airplanes - love flying there, because it takes 45 minutes!! But flying for a family of 4 for a 45 minute plane ride and having to deal with airport security, yadda yadda yadda...No thank you. Plus that's just plain expensive!!

So yeah, I would gladly hop on a train for a trip between here and there. And it's called renting a car or taking a cab once you are at your destination. Just like you would do if you had to fly anywhere else and needed transportation.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Except driving in a car is WAY more dangerous than traveling in an airplane or on a train.

And if a train is built between Houston and Dallas, then people WOULD be paying for it themselves via your own tax dollars.

Personally we drive between Houston and DFW a lot because we live here in Houston, yet all of our family lives in the DFW area. I frankly HATE making that drive. It's long and boring. I have to bring along a bunch of crap to entertain 2 young children during the drive. It takes us a lot longer than 4 hours because we have to make periodic stops for said young children. It's just a PITA.

As for airplanes - love flying there, because it takes 45 minutes!! But flying for a family of 4 for a 45 minute plane ride and having to deal with airport security, yadda yadda yadda...No thank you. Plus that's just plain expensive!!

So yeah, I would gladly hop on a train for a trip between here and there. And it's called renting a car or taking a cab once you are at your destination. Just like you would do if you had to fly anywhere else and needed transportation.
I have two small kids. Yes, it's a PITA. No it is not worth spending hundreds of millions of dollars for. And will it pay for itself? LOL, does Amtrak pay for itself? Just say no to this boondoggle. If people want the convenience of a high speed rail, let private investors pay for it and charge those who want to ride it accordingly. You want it? Pay for it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston