Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:48 PM

14 posts, read 103,663 times

Advertisements

i was thinking of sugarland or katy. but then i found a nice community near northgate country club in the northwest. i was wondering if this is a nice area. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 PM

832 posts, read 3,853,682 times
Which community? I'm not a big fan of that stretch of 1960. I looked over by the Northgate Country Club, but chose Kingwood instead.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:14 PM

hi bearbranch, im not sure of the community. my husband mention he liked the homes there. why arent you fond of it? i think the homes where built in the 90s. what is it like? why do you like kingwood better? thank you.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
You should stay north of 1960. I don't know what neighborhood you are looking at but my opinion is to stay north of 1960, such as Champion Forest.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
There are all kinds of neighborhoods north of 1960 to check out. Older homes (late 80s/early 90s) with relatively low property tax. Apparently most people want to stay in Cy-Fair or Klein ISD and not Spring, though I generally think a kid is going to succeed just about anywhere if there's involvement.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
There are all kinds of neighborhoods north of 1960 to check out. Older homes (late 80s/early 90s) with relatively low property tax. Apparently most people want to stay in Cy-Fair or Klein ISD and not Spring, though I generally think a kid is going to succeed just about anywhere if there's involvement.

hi, im not sure what cy-fair and klein isd are. also, what do you mean by children and success in these communities? they look like nice communities to me, particularly northgate? im going to be making a trip to houston to see first hand, but they seem nice online? i would like to narrow my options. thank you for your help.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
School districts. If you don't have children, don't worry.

If any of these areas are in the City of Houston limits you can see the crime maps:

Houston Crime Maps and Statistics

Old 08-02-2007, 08:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Northgate Forest is in Spring Independent School District. Northgate recently tried to get out of Spring ISD and get taken into neighboring Klein ISD. They were not successful.

In that end of town it appears that the popularity of Spring ISD has declined with much of the suburban buyers. This has affected the values in Olde Oaks, Oak Creek Village, Waterford Park, Northgate Forest, Ponderosa Forest and Westador. A similiar trend appears to be developing with homes in Klein that are zoned to Klein Forest High School.

That is not to say those neighborhoods are not beautiful, well-maintained communities with active Homeowner's Associations, and very convenient access to shopping, churches, the NW Medical Center and the Airport.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,206 times
Northwest Harris County rocks! It's huge, its affluent and its THE fastest growing area of Houston. Great schools, low crime, forests, nice homes. Rather than single large cookie cutter developments it has hundreds of beautiful wooded neighborhoods each with their own personality. The entire area was originally settled by German farmers in the 1800's and many of the neighborhoods site on these former family farms and forestland. Just so you know, there are two high school zones you may want steer clear of (namely the one you're looking in which is zoned to Spring ISD - which has beautiful neighborhoods like Northgate zoned to it, but they're trying to rezone to Klein ISD. WHS and Klein Forest have drawing zones that go all the way to the Beltway and those areas South of FM 1960 filled in with apartments and lower income housing which significantly altered the white middle/upper middle class demographics of these two schools). Alternatively, if you have no kids, you can live in a HELL of a nice house in a great neighborhood for lots less than you should be paying! With that said, it's a HUGE area and the other 7 or 8 High School zones are great. Beats the heck out of Katy or Sugar Land (which are nice) any day, IMHO.

I would highly recommend living in any of the following NW Houston HS feeder zones: Cy-Fair, Cy-Woods, Cy-Creek, Klein, Klein Oak, Klein Collins and Tomball.

Some great neighborhoods to lookup on HAR.com, pick anyone of them, they're great:

Longwood in Cypress (my neighborhood)

Cypress
Longwood, Lakewood Oaks Estates, Wincrest Falls, Lakewood Glen, Rock Creek, Lakewood Forest, Coles Crossing, Secret Forest, Park Forest, Enchanted Valley Estates, Village Creek, Northpointe Forest, Stable Gate, Stablewood Farms, Villaggio, Northlake Forest, Lismore Lake, Tower Oaks, Lakes of Rosehill, Sydney Harbor, Reserve at Cypress Creek, Village of Indian Trails, Hunters Valley, Lakewood Crossing, Norchester, Fairfield, Lakes of Fairhaven, Mandolin, Lakewood Grove, Lakewood Trails, Gettysburg, La Paloma, Blackhorse, Bridgeland, Cypress Creek Ranch, Cypress Creek Lakes, Stone Gate, Canyon Lakes, Copper Lakes, Tuscany, Vintage Lakes Dozens more.

Champions (the original that started it all)

Champions
Champions, Champions South, Champion$ East, Champions West, Champion Forest, Huntwick, Champions Cove, Woods of Wimbledon, Wimbledon Champions, Highland Timbers, Falls at Champion Forest, Lakes of Sterling Gate, Edinburgh Estates, Champions Park North, Champion Woods, Champions Place, Estates at Windrush, Wimbledon Forest, Hamlet at Champions, Champions Centre Estates, Champions Bend, more.

Champion Forest

Gleannloch Farms

Spring/Klein
Gleannloch Farms, Memorial Creek, Willowick, Terranova West, Spring Creek Oaks, Windrose, Memorial Northwest, Glenn Haven Estates, Lakes of Cypress Forest, Bainbridge Estates, Estates at Creeks End, Country Lake Estates, Cypresswood, Thicket at Cypresswood, Cypresswood Glen, Shadow Creek, August Pines, Auburn Lake Estates, The Preserve, Northampton, many many more...big growth area.

Holly Creek Estates

Tomball
Holly Creek Estates, Timberlake Village, Villages of Northpointe, Spring Creek Estates, Northpointe Cove, Stonebridge Ranch and many more.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 08-02-2007 at 09:41 PM..

Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
My friend's parents used to live about 3 blocks from Northgate Forest. Nice and diverse but comes with a lot of traffic and commercial properties on 1960 that encourages materialistic consumerism.

They moved out to the exburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston