U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:59 AM

65 posts, read 64,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Haha, are you for real???
What would make you believe, based on McHale's coaching resume, that they are headed in the right direction?
The guy's got a losing record as a head coach.
I have a couple reasons for being hopeful. One, as a Magic fan, I remember thinking the same thing with Doc Rivers and he never panned out while he was in Orlando. Then he found a great circumstance and management in Boston and is now maybe the best coach in the NBA. He is from the same lineage as far as coaches he got to see as McHale. Also McHale has not had a good situation in his past stops in coaching. He has been stuck with bad management/owners and a team made up of has-beens with no real upside. The Rockets have some kids with upsize that could turn into real players. They still need that dominant scorer and for Yao to remain healthy but I still say that McHale is a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:07 PM

7,085 posts, read 3,789,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-mama View Post
I have a couple reasons for being hopeful. One, as a Magic fan, I remember thinking the same thing with Doc Rivers and he never panned out while he was in Orlando. Then he found a great circumstance and management in Boston and is now maybe the best coach in the NBA. He is from the same lineage as far as coaches he got to see as McHale. Also McHale has not had a good situation in his past stops in coaching. He has been stuck with bad management/owners and a team made up of has-beens with no real upside. The Rockets have some kids with upsize that could turn into real players. They still need that dominant scorer and for Yao to remain healthy but I still say that McHale is a step in the right direction.
Doc Rivers is overrated as a coach. As you noted he bombed out in Orlando, and he didn't start of to hot in Boston. It wasn't until he got Garnett and Ray Allen, to add with Paul Pierce (three hall of fame players) that he started to win.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,738,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-mama View Post
You still believe Yao actually has the ability to stay healthy anymore??? LOL
If nothing else, you certainly are optimistic.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 PM

735 posts, read 492,061 times
I think all of these teams have potential. But what I've seen with Astros (for instance) is a spirit of complacency. (I'm a bit of a baseball fan).

I think in some aspect, our teams are too laid back. There doesn't seem to be an expectation of championship. I see the Yankees, the Heat, the Lakers, the Patriots, the Red Sox. Their franchise will go all out in finding the best players. The Red Sox and Yanks will scout and find the best players in Japan. That's how far and wide they'll go to recruit players.

What I've seen with some of these teams in different cities is that fire of expecting to win. Period. They expect to end their seasons with a championship. They refuse to settle for less, even if their seasons end with less than that.

The fans here expect it, but it doesn't seem like our franchises do....

that's just me though....

Old 05-29-2011, 10:00 PM

13,088 posts, read 13,585,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I think all of these teams have potential. But what I've seen with Astros (for instance) is a spirit of complacency. (I'm a bit of a baseball fan).

I think in some aspect, our teams are too laid back. There doesn't seem to be an expectation of championship. I see the Yankees, the Heat, the Lakers, the Patriots, the Red Sox. Their franchise will go all out in finding the best players. The Red Sox and Yanks will scout and find the best players in Japan. That's how far and wide they'll go to recruit players.

What I've seen with some of these teams in different cities is that fire of expecting to win. Period. They expect to end their seasons with a championship. They refuse to settle for less, even if their seasons end with less than that.

The fans here expect it, but it doesn't seem like our franchises do....

that's just me though....
I am a fan of all the Dallas teams so naturally, Go Mavs! But Dallas teams are starting to follow that aggressive model that you're talking about which is why they have seen some success the last few years. Just recently, the Rangers just picked up and signed one of the elite outfielders from Cuba. The Spurs followed this model as well. Don't know why Houston teams doesn't.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 PM

735 posts, read 492,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I am a fan of all the Dallas teams so naturally, Go Mavs! But Dallas teams are starting to follow that aggressive model that you're talking about which is why they have seen some success the last few years. Just recently, the Rangers just picked up and signed one of the elite outfielders from Cuba. The Spurs followed this model as well. Don't know why Houston teams doesn't.
I agree Spade. The Rangers....omg...they have turned around. Marquee lineups, plays, acquisitions....

I think Houston in the sports dept. only, is simply too laid back. I look at somebody like Carlos Lee of the Astros, and the money they're paying him, and they don't appear that they are requiring him to be the high-calibur player that he is. He certainly was our menace when he played for the Brewers. But he gets here and he's all chunky, (well....chunkier) lumbering in the outfield. It's pathetic.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:43 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,446,467 times
Since the left the majority of my family supports the 'real' Houston team the Titans. Little love for the Texans.

They'll watch but on game day Texans vs Titans I have family IN Houston that have gotten tickets and will sit on the Titans side.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:01 AM

223 posts, read 189,189 times
I'm a Boston sports fan through and through. So even after being here 10 years, I still folllow the Celtics,Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and BC religiously.

Houston can be a great sports ( especially in football. Fire Kubiak and the Texans would be killing people ) town.

The teams may be garbage,but that what a true fan is. You ride and die with the team in the bad times and good. Man I got nothing BUT grief when I moved here,but when the Red Sox and Patriots...and then FINALLY the Celtics came through in the last 10 years,nobody and I mean NOBODY could say I was jumping on the bandwagon, when we won ouir recent titles.

It's different here. High School football is HUGE and the crowds are insane. There are so many people in Houston, who are not from Houston, so I think that plays a big part in who people root for here.

IMO....and I think it's a northeast thing. I don't care if you move 5000 miles across the world to China or somewhere,I'm going to be a Boston fan for life. I can never understand how people can be from a city...and not like the home team ? To cheer,have another 'favorite' team or wear another teams stuff is like cheating on your wife,hahahaha.

Thats why I always tell people from Houston if you a Rockets,Astros or Texans fan....man be a FAN. Thick and Thin.

When I die, I'm going to have on a Steve Grogan jersey,with a Red Sox hat, and a Celtic Green casket,lol

Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 AM

223 posts, read 189,189 times
I think alot of fans here demand great teams,but the media here is so much diffent than the northeast.

The best examples I can think of are David Carr...I know Brady has the long hair, and I hate it. Horrible look,but if you're winning the dude could wear a clown outfit on the field and nobody would care. Carr should have been blown out of here long before he was.

Gark Kubiak. Bob McNair is way too nice and the media needs to stop lobbing Kubuak softball uestions. He and the GM. Grill their A%$ !

I liked Jeff Van Gundy. The guy is a great defensive coach. Still don't know why he was shown the door.

The media here needs to put the pressure on these coaches here to produce now and quickly.

I for the life of me can't figure out how Kubiak still has a job.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 AM

8,758 posts, read 7,830,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I agree Spade. The Rangers....omg...they have turned around. Marquee lineups, plays, acquisitions....

I think Houston in the sports dept. only, is simply too laid back. I look at somebody like Carlos Lee of the Astros, and the money they're paying him, and they don't appear that they are requiring him to be the high-calibur player that he is. He certainly was our menace when he played for the Brewers. But he gets here and he's all chunky, (well....chunkier) lumbering in the outfield. It's pathetic.
That's what winning does. Three years ago, you couldn't sellout a Rangers game and Astros vs. Rangers games in Arlington were like home games for the Astros. Winning cures everything. The Rockets are trying and should be there soon (based on past history of the team). Texans have the talent, just not the coach. Hopefully talent can overcome the crappy coach (Kubiak). Astros just changed owners, and the guy who owns it was trying to buy the Rangers with Mark Cuban (before Nolan's team won the bid). We'll see how they operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston