Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

If you are going to rent, consider it a must that your apartments do criminal background checks on prospective tenants. Some do this. Those that do have a better mix of people in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,966 times
Criminal background checks are important and my apartment does this but the two pools, summer kitchen, grills and sports bar bring in a lot of visitors that have caused problems - leaving the grills on which started fires, stealing the two flat screen t.v.s from the sports bar, leaving disgusting messes after parties, drinking alcohol on weekends in the pool/sports bar.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 PM

Ew. Have you or any other residents made any complaints to management?

I live in a place where they do a rather good job at keeping the place clean considering we also have some questionable people visiting sometimes....just part of life in the big city though. I'm most concerned about living in places that become permanent housing grounds for ex-cons and such.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:43 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
I live in Alief. the only apt complex i'd consider around here are the ones on beltway8 and bellaire blvd.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 PM

268 posts, read 1,488,966 times
Residents complain frequently. Cameras were installed at the entrances, in front of the elevators and in the sports bar. I just returned from the pool and there were beer and hard liquor bottles left on a table in the summer kitchen. We will miss the nice amenities when we move to Katy but we won't miss the frat house problems here.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:33 PM

We don't have a sports bar on site - that is probably the difference.

I don't have a problem with a good sports bar but I don't necessarily want to live right next to one. But this is Houston.....some of us do.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Kerr HS is a magnet school in Alief ISD. I do not know how strict the admission policies are at Kerr HS. I know that individual students in Alief ISD are randomly assigned one of three home schools: Elsik, Hastings, or Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
There's some nice homes in the school district. Royal Oaks Country Club is very expensive. Kerr High School is in that district and it's supposed to be a good school, but it's near Sugar Land. There's been major white flight out there, so the schools which were once majority white are now majority black and Hispanic. That's happened in a lot of areas in Houston.

I live on the north side of Westheimer off Dairy Ashford, so I'm real close to it. I feel the danger of the area is a little overrated. There's some bad apartment complexes, but there's decent neighborhoods too. I think the main problem is the school district has gone downhill, but if you could get into Kerr it might not be too bad.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:07 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Kerr has a lot of hard busy work. That's why I moved to Cinco Ranch HS but Katy ISD administrators can be a-holes sometimes because of zero-tolerance policy. It seems to have spread over to Cy-Fair now.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,177 times
Default dont live in alief

It is getting bad over there. and it sounds like you need an affordable place in which to live, so I would suggest Katy ISD. You can find affordable housing there, but not immune to the riff-raff either.
But at least the schools are A+
We live on the North side of IH10 where homes are cheaper, Just beware of flooding when looking in all areas of Houston or Katy. We paid 117 for a brand new Gehan home in Stonecrest off the Grand-Parkway, You cant beat that!! If you can wait until the end of the year, when builders are having closeouts, you can get a really really good buy. WE did!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:48 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
I wouldn't recommend anyone sending their children to school in the Alief district. I would suggest Katy if you're looking for affordable housing and decent public schools. I don't know how long Katy is going to be the "ideal" community with all the new cookie-cutter cheap subdivisions popping up (it tends to draw investors who buy cheap and rent to just about ANYONE), but I imagine you have a good few years left to enjoy the area before the city problems begin to invade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston