Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times

Advertisements

Rather than suggesting you good way out to Katy, you might take a look at the Sugarland area. It is south of where you would be working and it is a very family-friendly area with tons of amenities. The Ft. Bend schools are most assuredly better than those of Alief although they aren't as good as Katy's. But if I was in your position, I would definitely seriously consider that area. It has just about everything you could want: shopping, restaurants, medical facilities, and a community that is as safe as one could hope for. I don't know of any specific neighborhoods in your price range but I would imagine you could find just what you're looking for. (And anything that keeps you away from the nightmarish traffic on I-10 is a good thing.)

I should mention that I once lived in Alief and when we first got there more than 30 years ago, the schools were great, it was safe and was a great place to raise a family. Several things happened to it though - more and more apartments were built with a very transient population over-crowding the schools and the ethnic balance began to shift dramatically. As that happened, more and more of the core population began to move out and go elsewhere (Katy, Sugar Land, Cy-Fair and even further out). Then, home values began to seriously depreciate which then attracted even more lower income folks who cared little about keeping the neighborhoods clean and attractive which lead to further decline. Gangs have had a stronghold in the area for years now, populated by immigrants, low income minorities and others and this has driven even more families out. This situation has spread all the way out to Mission Bend which has been slower to suffer the decline but it is still an area in transition. (Even the Randalls at Hiway 6 & Bellaire closed its doors and very little new development has come into the area.) Of course there are exceptions to this decline, pockets of what-used-to-be, but on the whole it isn't an area you should choose if you have a choice.

Last edited by Redrover; 08-22-2007 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Added more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 06:51 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Rather than suggesting you good way out to Katy, you might take a look at the Sugarland area. It is south of where you would be working and it is a very family-friendly area with tons of amenities. The Ft. Bend schools are most assuredly better than those of Alief although they aren't as good as Katy's. But if I was in your position, I would definitely seriously consider that area. It has just about everything you could want: shopping, restaurants, medical facilities, and a community that is as safe as one could hope for. I don't know of any specific neighborhoods in your price range but I would imagine you could find just what you're looking for. (And anything that keeps you away from the nightmarish traffic on I-10 is a good thing.)

I should mention that I once lived in Alief and when we first got there more than 30 years ago, the schools were great, it was safe and was a great place to raise a family. Several things happened to it though - more and more apartments were built with a very transient population over-crowding the schools and the ethnic balance began to shift dramatically. As that happened, more and more of the core population began to move out and go elsewhere (Katy, Sugar Land, Cy-Fair and even further out). Then, home values began to seriously depreciate which then attracted even more lower income folks who cared little about keeping the neighborhoods clean and attractive which lead to further decline. Gangs have had a stronghold in the area for years now, populated by immigrants, low income minorities and others and this has driven even more families out. This situation has spread all the way out to Mission Bend which has been slower to suffer the decline but it is still an area in transition. (Even the Randalls at Hiway 6 & Bellaire closed its doors and very little new development has come into the area.) Of course there are exceptions to this decline, pockets of what-used-to-be, but on the whole it isn't an area you should choose if you have a choice.
For that budget in Sugarland, they're going to end up in some borderline community that's heavily populated by low income families, high on crime, probably 90% renters, and a far cry from a neighborhood in which to raise children. Your best choice right now would be Katy and utilize the "shared riding van" if you have to work in downtown area.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Rather than suggesting you good way out to Katy, you might take a look at the Sugarland area.
I went to First Colony Mall today. The traffic on the outbound 59 towards Greatwood was horrendous for 14:00. The Women's restroom in J.C. Penney had to be cleaned and the second time my Mom and I came back there, they closed it for cleaning and directed people to the Salon's restroom which had a long line of 14 people. Apparently my Mom thought that the restroom became so dirty because Sugar Land is overcrowded.

When I left at 17:00, traffic on Highway 6 towards Alief was heavy. I don't even want to drive down Highway 6 just to reach the mall or cross Sugar Land/Missouri City because of the heavy traffic at any time of day.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I went to First Colony Mall today. The traffic on the outbound 59 towards Greatwood was horrendous for 14:00. The Women's restroom in J.C. Penney had to be cleaned and the second time my Mom and I came back there, they closed it for cleaning and directed people to the Salon's restroom which had a long line of 14 people. Apparently my Mom thought that the restroom became so dirty because Sugar Land is overcrowded.

When I left at 17:00, traffic on Highway 6 towards Alief was heavy. I don't even want to drive down Highway 6 just to reach the mall or cross Sugar Land/Missouri City because of the heavy traffic at any time of day.
I live in Alief and dont know what the heck youre talking about maybe thats the difference - Alief's backstreet access to Katy and Sugarland sections is just a stroll

Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,387 times
NO WAY. Alief is dieing and the schools are bad bad bad.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I live in Alief and dont know what the heck youre talking about maybe thats the difference - Alief's backstreet access to Katy and Sugarland sections is just a stroll
I was looking at Highway 6 from the First Colony Blvd./Spur 58 intersection. But the section of Highway 6 through Sugar Land and less so in Missouri City are congested. Through Alief, it's flowing.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:02 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
ParkerinKaty, the schools in Katy can't be so great if you think Alief schools are "dieing".

Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerinKaty View Post
NO WAY. Alief is dieing and the schools are bad bad bad.
I don't even want to be in Katy anymore. There is no culture or services in Katy. I have to drive all the way to Houston to do stuff. The Macy's in West Oaks sucks--I have to drive all the way to the Galleria.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM

11 posts, read 67,746 times
I grew up in Alief in the Keegan's Glen Subdivision at W. bellfort and Kirkwood. I love Alief, I just moved back home after graduating college and Alief would be my first choice for an apartment or home. (My parents now live in Sugar Land) It has gotten a bit worse since I went through there but its still pretty much the same.

Kerr is pretty good, the whole school is a magnet program and I think they let you do work at your own pace, you have to apply to get in. I went to Elsik and feel it was great. Had the real high school feel, sports, diversity, and rivalry with Hastings. I'll admit, there were a lot of distractions, fights, drugs, and the typical high school foolishness. But I made and so did my friends! Of course I know of people who didnt, but the difference is always parents. Those that didnt, there parents werent always around. Overall, alief is a great school district, yes there are better, Katy, Ft. Bend, etc. but i love it and would send my kids there.

As far as where to locate, I would agree with previous posters and stay away from bissonett and 59, lots of apartments there. Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford are streets that have a good mix of cheap homes and decent apartments. Just a rule of thumb: stay as close as possible to a large population of home owners. Whenever you get close to renters, whether in apartments or homes, you get people that dont care as much about their residences, family, cars, education etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan3230 View Post
I grew up in Alief in the Keegan's Glen Subdivision at W. bellfort and Kirkwood. I love Alief, I just moved back home after graduating college and Alief would be my first choice for an apartment or home. (My parents now live in Sugar Land) It has gotten a bit worse since I went through there but its still pretty much the same.

Kerr is pretty good, the whole school is a magnet program and I think they let you do work at your own pace, you have to apply to get in. I went to Elsik and feel it was great. Had the real high school feel, sports, diversity, and rivalry with Hastings. I'll admit, there were a lot of distractions, fights, drugs, and the typical high school foolishness. But I made and so did my friends! Of course I know of people who didnt, but the difference is always parents. Those that didnt, there parents werent always around. Overall, alief is a great school district, yes there are better, Katy, Ft. Bend, etc. but i love it and would send my kids there.

As far as where to locate, I would agree with previous posters and stay away from bissonett and 59, lots of apartments there. Kirkwood and Dairy Ashford are streets that have a good mix of cheap homes and decent apartments. Just a rule of thumb: stay as close as possible to a large population of home owners. Whenever you get close to renters, whether in apartments or homes, you get people that dont care as much about their residences, family, cars, education etc.

Hope this helps.
I bought a house right there across elsik. I also thought its not bad if not good to be exposed to the real life high school and not an extra 4 years of elementary schooling. take that experience into college and youre way ahead of those guys coming from daycare highschools. those suicidal crybabies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston