U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 PM

11 posts, read 10,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Do you have kids? If not, and you want to be even further in than inside the beltway (like inside the loop) then I'd agree with the Museum District recommendation as well as Montrose, the West Gray area (between Montrose and Shepherd, West Dallas and Westheimer). There are also a lot of townhomes up around Memorial Park.
No, no kids, unless you count the four legged monster who thinks she's a child. I should have clarified... inside the loop was what I meant to say in my original post. Areas outside would be fine as long as the commute doesn't get out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 AM

614 posts, read 481,211 times
Inside the loop, well established neighborhood with a big lawn for $550-600 is tough. Between the beltway and the loop, maybe, but don't know much about those areas as I am an inside-the-loop type.

You can get patches of space, though. Last time we lived in Houston we were in a townhome in the West Gray area. We actually had a swimming pool (not a huge one mind you) in our back yard. There was a enough space for cooking and sitting out, for my wife to plant a bit of a garden, etc. All depends on the place. We had about 2900 sq feet in a townhome we really liked in a neighborhood which was nice enough for us, and paid $415k. We'd go into the same area this time except that we have kids now and the public school there was awful. Would rather sink the $20k per kid for private school in a house in West U. and send them to West U. elementary.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,544,086 times
Try 77025 in your Har.com search; I think that will pull up some neighborhoods on the south side of the inner loop that should be in your price range.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Inside the loop, well established neighborhood with a big lawn for $550-600 is tough. Between the beltway and the loop, maybe, but don't know much about those areas as I am an inside-the-loop type.

You can get patches of space, though. Last time we lived in Houston we were in a townhome in the West Gray area. We actually had a swimming pool (not a huge one mind you) in our back yard. There was a enough space for cooking and sitting out, for my wife to plant a bit of a garden, etc. All depends on the place. We had about 2900 sq feet in a townhome we really liked in a neighborhood which was nice enough for us, and paid $415k. We'd go into the same area this time except that we have kids now and the public school there was awful. Would rather sink the $20k per kid for private school in a house in West U. and send them to West U. elementary.
Except for the townhouse, that sounds a lot like what we're looking for. A lawn big enough for the dog and if it happened, a pool would be ideal. I don't think either of us wants to spend all weekend tending to a huge lawn. Most of the houses in my initial search just seemed to have truly tiny 'yards'. I've since seen a few that aren't bad. It definitely looks like we'll have to adjust our budget unless we get lucky.

Thanks for the input, btw. It's greatly appreciated.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 11,372 times
ALL Realtors should be GLBT friendly. The National Association of Realtors has added sexual orientation as a protected class in Article 10 of the Realtors Code of Ethics.

The Houston Association of Realtors is the best in the world and has given its members, and the general public, a wealth of tools to find the right home in the right neighborhood.

After finding a Realtor that you feel comfortable with, ask them to setup a client gateway to assist you in locating your next house. It's basically your own website that allows you to manage potential properties by YES/NO/MAYBE.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,693 times
try briargrove and briargrove park. also there are some great homes around gessner and memorial, not sure if that is considered the "memorial" area. Zoned to great schools. Stay clear of Westbury and Willowbend (sorry!) and closer towards meyerland/bellaire if you looking in southwest houston.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgriffin22 View Post
ALL Realtors should be GLBT friendly. The National Association of Realtors has added sexual orientation as a protected class in Article 10 of the Realtors Code of Ethics.

The Houston Association of Realtors is the best in the world and has given its members, and the general public, a wealth of tools to find the right home in the right neighborhood.

After finding a Realtor that you feel comfortable with, ask them to setup a client gateway to assist you in locating your next house. It's basically your own website that allows you to manage potential properties by YES/NO/MAYBE.
All probably should... but not everyone is. I have played around a bit on har but the best data in the world isn't necessarily a good substitute for first hand knowledge. Thanks for the info on the client gateway. I'll keep that in mind. Is that something only an Realtor can set up or is that a tool on har?

Old 05-27-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberly View Post
try briargrove and briargrove park. also there are some great homes around gessner and memorial, not sure if that is considered the "memorial" area. Zoned to great schools. Stay clear of Westbury and Willowbend (sorry!) and closer towards meyerland/bellaire if you looking in southwest houston.
Thanks. I'm not sure where a couple of those are, so I'll check them out. Trying to keep my commute to downtown less than 20 is looking like it will be a challenge. Has anyone ever compared their drive time to the time Google Maps says it will take? I'm just wondering how close they are for the area.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 AM

8 posts, read 11,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstuyvesant View Post
All probably should... but not everyone is. I have played around a bit on har but the best data in the world isn't necessarily a good substitute for first hand knowledge. Thanks for the info on the client gateway. I'll keep that in mind. Is that something only an Realtor can set up or is that a tool on har?
Only a Realtor can create that for you. It's pretty helpful to have new listings show up in your inbox every morning that you can manage.

Google Maps is fairly accurate. However, the weather, time of day, wrecks, etc... Can change everything fairly quickly.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgriffin22 View Post
Only a Realtor can create that for you. It's pretty helpful to have new listings show up in your inbox every morning that you can manage.

Google Maps is fairly accurate. However, the weather, time of day, wrecks, etc... Can change everything fairly quickly.
Agreed... real world limitations aside it's pretty close here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston