U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 PM

2,006 posts, read 2,567,280 times

Advertisements

I don't think you have many choices. FEMA does dictate the minimum coverage and fee for that, so I don't think you have much room to bargain or get it cheaper. Sorry..... I am sure that $300 can be make a difference in ones life and the intent wasn't to insult you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
Geez, $300 is alot for those of us .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 478,044 times
I think its more likely that I'd get killed in an accident than my house getting flooded so I do not have flood insurance, I have 1mm life insurance. I do not know my 'floodzone rating' I just think there are so much space around me that need to get flooded first before the water level reaches higher than my driveway.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 PM
NTT NTT started this thread

655 posts, read 911,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I don't think you have many choices. FEMA does dictate the minimum coverage and fee for that, so I don't think you have much room to bargain or get it cheaper. Sorry..... I am sure that $300 can be make a difference in ones life and the intent wasn't to insult you....
Naaah, I didn't take it as an insult. It didn't even crossed my mind that way. I just wanted to point out another view of $300 .

Yes, I know about Fema. I'm going to talk to my insurance and see if they can lower the value of the property which means the rate would be lower. They normally, throw at me with the higher 2 values and rates to chose. Yet, that doesn't mean that my house would cost that much to be replaced. I'm going to request a more reasonable value this time. My house is not big and it is 35 yrs. old. Will see what happens. Thanks and nighty-night.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 PM

239 posts, read 366,065 times
I'm on board the "Low risk, but I've got flood insurance anyway just because it's the Houston area" bus. The peace of mind alone is priceless!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 AM

807 posts, read 1,262,506 times
I would agree to try keeping your insurance. Try to see if you keep all your policies (home, flood, car, etc) with one insurance company if they will provide you any additional discount (I have Liberty Mutual and I do get multi-policy discount). Also, check with your employer to see if there are any Insurance company discounts as part of your benefits. Hope you don't get flooded!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaClue View Post
The peace of mind alone is priceless!
Apparently not
I'm sure you'll worry/panick like everyone else when that big one comes.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:33 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,935,074 times
We have a dedicated drainage fee now. Flooding is a thing of the past.

This is the first year I've forgone flood insurance. At a little over $300 per year, I've spent over $5000 so far on insurance. We didn't even come close to getting flooded even during Allison.

I did get flooded back in the 90's in a rental home. About 12 inches. We lost very few possessions and the owner probably paid a few thousand for new cheap carpet and drywall repairs. Afterwards, you could tell exactly who had flood insurance and who didn't by the trash pile in front of their houses. Those with insurance must have stored all their possessions on the floor.

Those without somehow managed to move everything to a higher place. There's a lot you can do to mitigate your losses in most floods. Obviously not if you're flooded to the rafters...

Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM

361 posts, read 504,434 times
I pay Fort Bend county $1,500 a year so that my house does not flood. I do not pay an additional $300-$400 on top of that.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM

239 posts, read 366,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
Apparently not
I'm sure you'll worry/panick like everyone else when that big one comes.
And why are you so sure of that?

When you're well-prepared and insured, there's no need for panic. Just have a workable plan ahead of time and follow it.

At the first signs of a bad one heading our way, we'll just secure the house, take our emergency kit, our laptops and the dog and go out of town until storms pass and recovery is mostly complete....just as we've done several times before.

If we suffer a property loss, we'll file our claims and deal with it. Life goes on. That's peace of mind.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaClue View Post
And why are you so sure of that?

When you're well-prepared and insured, there's no need for panic. Just have a workable plan ahead of time and follow it.

At the first signs of a bad one heading our way, we'll just secure the house, take our emergency kit, our laptops and the dog and go out of town until storms pass and recovery is mostly complete....just as we've done several times before.

If we suffer a property loss, we'll file our claims and deal with it. Life goes on. That's peace of mind.
Thats exactly what I mean. I have the "third pig" peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston