Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 PM

239 posts, read 639,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
It's not hard to use *reasoning* ey? but dont you think its highly probable that some act of war will get you killed in your next flight/vacation in these times? are you being irresponsible not covering for a highly probable disaster for your house? or maybe you'll buy when youre neighbors/realtor say so? you could use that money to rebuild somewhere safer ya know

Or maybe you're really in a flood zone, you just dont want to admit it. I've seen that before. The 'everyone buys flood insurance anyway' line of thinking group.
No, I don't think it's highly probably that I'll get killed in that kind of manner. I don't live my life in carnival-barker inspired fear. It's far more likely that I...and you...will die of some kind of disease or in a car while going about daily life. I have health insurance, car insurance and life insurance to help protect my family financially against the realities of those kinds of more probable likelihoods.

As for war or nuclear disaster, if something like that happens, the last concern in the world I will have is for my house or my possessions.

No, I'm not in a designated flood zone. I thoroughly investigate the HCFCD flood zone maps and FIRMS before buying any property in the Houston area, as part of basic due diligence. Of course, virtually any property can flood, especially in the Houston area, regardless of the maps and that's why having flood insurance is an intelligent thing to do.

You sure like to make a lot of assumptions and judgements, don't you? Do you have other hobbies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettaClue View Post
No, I don't think it's highly probably that I'll get killed in that kind of manner. I don't live my life in carnival-barker inspired fear. It's far more likely that I...and you...will die of some kind of disease or in a car while going about daily life. I have health insurance, car insurance and life insurance to help protect my family financially against the realities of those kinds of more probable likelihoods.

As for war or nuclear disaster, if something like that happens, the last concern in the world I will have is for my house or my possessions.

No, I'm not in a designated flood zone. I thoroughly investigate the HCFCD flood zone maps and FIRMS before buying any property in the Houston area, as part of basic due diligence. Of course, virtually any property can flood, especially in the Houston area, regardless of the maps and that's why having flood insurance is an intelligent thing to do.

You sure like to make a lot of assumptions and judgements, don't you? Do you have other hobbies?
LOL

can it REALLY flood ANYWHERE? seriously? and you don't think you live in fear because you dont think a nuclear disaster is possible.

Does a nuclear plant south of Houston pose a threat should a large enough disaster strike? | abc13.com

if a storm comes with warning, you run away with your dog, storm/water destroys your house, no worries you claim insurance and rebuild somewhere else. good plan
if nuclear disaster occurs with warning, you run away with your dog, nuclear disaster destroys the house and you continue paying your old mortgage while living somewhere safer? hmm

personally, and maybe its just me, but I think human error, structural failure, sabotage, gross negligence, a homer is a lot more probable than a '100-year flood'.

(BUT if you live in an older aka 'mature' neighborhoods in houston, with mature trees with really old sewage system and some new(er) highway/street was raised/laid out higher than the original streets, evaluate your situation, its possible you need to get flood insurance because of all that matureness)

Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
Hmmm... this thread has gone down hill pretty quickly. Hope the flood comes sooner rather than later.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
NTT NTT started this thread

723 posts, read 1,833,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Hmmm... this thread has gone down hill pretty quickly.
I'm the OP and I got my answers so... down hill is just fine!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM

239 posts, read 639,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
LOL

can it REALLY flood ANYWHERE? seriously? and you don't think you live in fear because you dont think a nuclear disaster is possible.

Does a nuclear plant south of Houston pose a threat should a large enough disaster strike? | abc13.com

if a storm comes with warning, you run away with your dog, storm/water destroys your house, no worries you claim insurance and rebuild somewhere else. good plan
if nuclear disaster occurs with warning, you run away with your dog, nuclear disaster destroys the house and you continue paying your old mortgage while living somewhere safer? hmm

personally, and maybe its just me, but I think human error, structural failure, sabotage, gross negligence, a homer is a lot more probable than a '100-year flood'.
So we can just mark your hobbies as being : making assumptions and bizzare assertions; and avid Armageddonist.

Ooookay then.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
So we can just mark your hobbies as being : making assumptions and bizzare assertions; and avid Armageddonist.

Ooookay then.
ROFL!!!
(I just couldn't resist! I sure couldn't have said it better myself. )

Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Ooookay then.
LOL
I want to ask you what made you say that but I guess you just lost it somewhere back there and on a different plane now.
All I'm saying to you is
1. Normally, people buy insurance they need or are required to. They make an assessment blah blah and if signals exist that a disaster/accident is possible then they decide to buy insurance. Needing insurance may be a form of insecurity but nothing wrong with that. Paying for flood insurance if you're insecure is not bad too. Sure enjoy your peace of mind being covered from that armagedon.
2. Being well insured is not exactly something to brag about. You don't get comprehensive insurance for a 10yo honda civic do you? Because that's just stupid

Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
Here's why I have the flood insurance:

I bought it the first year out of terror.

I bought it the year of Ike because, you know...

Now, HERE's where it got interesting....as we know, Ike downed a lot of tree limbs and brush, which we all hauled out to the curb and which took the city months to haul off.

During that time period, we had just one of those typical, tropical Houston gulleywasher rains. Usually no problem---but the storm drains were all cloggedd from Ike.

So in my neighborhood, where it's never flooded before, we watched the water rise...and rise...and rise...to where it was 5 feet from my house and 5 feet from the neighbor across the street's house.

I just paid mine: $313 a year. Big whup.

Last edited by Malvie; 06-03-2011 at 12:38 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 PM

The age of the neighborhood's sewage infrastructure(if it exists at all), IMO is the biggest factor with flashfloods. All that accumulated junk(plastic bags, twigs, etc blown in purposely or not) thru the years, neighborhoods that had renovations, heavy equipment on lawns/ground sinking that would break sewage ways (this is why I like a sewage system under the street instead)... well if that doesnt tell you anything then watch for street flooding when you get regular rains
now you need to get out of there

Old 06-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Here's why I have the flood insurance:

I bought it the first year out of terror.

I bought it the year of Ike because, you know...

Now, HERE's where it got interesting....as we know, Ike downed a lot of tree limbs and brush, which we all hauled out to the curb and which took the city months to haul off.

During that time period, we had just one of those typical, tropical Houston gulleywasher rains. Usually no problem---but the storm drains were all cloggedd from Ike.

So in my neighborhood, where it's never flooded before, we watched the water rise...and rise...and rise...to where it was 5 feet from my house and 5 feet from the neighbor across the street's house.

I just paid mine: $313 a year. Big whup.
True. Sometimes, flood happens not because it doesn't have adequate drainage but because the drainage is all clogged up from debris.

The rate depends much on the value of the building and contents. If you just paid $313 in 2011, your coverage would be $150,000 for home (building) and $60,000 for contents. Am I right? It's all stated on FEMA website: Floodsmart.gov: Residential Coverage Overview

My home is 1 story and about 2000 sq/ft. Yet, my insurance sent me a flood insurance bill covering for $200,000/$80,000 and $250,000/$100,000. Premiums for these coverages are of course, higher. But do I really need all that coverage? I may and may not. Nevertheless, if I can't afford the higher premiums, I'd rather pay for the lower coverage (lower premium) and have at least, some sort of coverage than none at all.

If I understand it correctly, the coverage amount is for the total lost of the home. In other words, the home is in no condition for repair and the home have to be torn down and rebuilt it completely. In the area I live, that may not ever happened. Even if it does, I'm willing to settle for less. I hope my explanations make sense to you.

I tell you, we all need to watch and pay attention to our insurance companies. They're simply in business to make money and will try to squeeze out from us as much as they can. When I had the money, I'd let it go (reasonably). Besides, they need to be in business. But now that I can't dig up money, I have to be a bit firm with them. Do keep in mind that the internet is a great source to check things out and aid us in dealing with insurance people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston