Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,569 times

Advertisements

What does Central Market have that the newer HEB stores don't have? Is it worth the effort, time, and drive to go there? I would be coming from the Cy-Fair area and have easy access to two of the newer HEB locations in Cypress or Vintage (Louetta and 249).

I am basically looking for gluten free bakery type stuff, organic produce, grass-fed meats, and maybe some bison meat.

Also (for anyone who has been in one), is there anything here remotely resembling a Trader Joe's? Or would that be Whole Foods?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,522,415 times
We used to shop at Central Market in Plano when we lived near Dallas. Now we shop at the Barker Cypress HEB off 290. It just seemed like Central Market had a bigger selection of everything. More produce, more meats, more varieties of beer and wine. I think Central Market had a better seafood department too, stuff seemed more fresh anyways. Central Market sold pre-made dinners from their deli that were actually pretty decent.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
The major difference of Central Market compared to a HEB Plus or HEB Market, is that it doesn't use it's space selling 20 different soaps,chips,sodas etc.

It's more devoted to Foodie-ism. Sections of the store devoted to coffee,baked goods, pre-made gourmet, HUGE cheese section with actual mongers, and the beef and fish area is enormous.

Also, since the place is packed every waking hour, the turnover is high volume, which lends to fresher produce.Don't go on the weekends if you can help it, you can barely move in there.

We have a HEB Market at Bunker Hill, but I still go into Central Market for Dinner Party shopping.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM

133 posts, read 268,495 times
Spec's

Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,794 times
I shop at all three. I usually shop at the Vintage location. I've found that the Central Market's meat is fresher, priced less and of the same quality or better than the hybrid HEB's. I've also found the bakery and beer selection to be better at CM. Produce seems cheaper and better at CM and I like the stir fry section.

With that said, I have a family and need to buy more than food & wine at the grocery, so I like the hybrid HEB's for the overall selection. I like the Deli better at the hybrids as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston