Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 PM

561 posts, read 972,292 times

Advertisements

I would like to start off by saying that I have been living in Houston for 9+ years and for the most part I have gotten myself accustomed to the heat. But what I haven't gotten myself accustomed to is the CRAZY cold temperatures that most buildings are set to. I realize that it is 100+ degrees outside but that really shouldn't mean that you keep the internal temperature to 65! It might feel great for the first 5 minutes but eventually your going to get really cold and will need a thermal. And don't you think if your working in an office that is set around 65 degrees that it will feel that much hotter outside when you go to your car?!?

IMO the ideal temperature inside of a building should be 75 degrees.

Just thought I would share my thoughts with y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
It should be room temp. You can always wear warm clothing.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:43 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
And what is room temperature for you??
So far I know room temperature is indicated by general human comfort, with the common range of 59 °F to 77 °F
For scientific calculations, room temperature is usually taken to be either 20 or 25 degrees Celsius (293 or 298 kelvin (K), 68 or 77 degrees Fahrenheit

Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Depends on how you dress. In the office, for business (casual or dress) type clothing, 72 year-round is probably ideal. Most office/high rises I've been in are set pretty consistent, probably close to 72. At home with comfortable summer/beach style clothes, it's usually 74-76 with fans blowing.

It is true, going from a freezer to a sauna is hard on the body. If I'm outside working during a summer day, I'd rather just stay hydrated and stay outside until the job is done. Of course I've grown up with this, and did a blue collar stint in this for a few years. I'd probably die up north in a cold winter.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
72-74 is where it's at.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ that's comfy to me

Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I would like to start off by saying that I have been living in Houston for 9+ years and for the most part I have gotten myself accustomed to the heat. But what I haven't gotten myself accustomed to is the CRAZY cold temperatures that most buildings are set to. I realize that it is 100+ degrees outside but that really shouldn't mean that you keep the internal temperature to 65! It might feel great for the first 5 minutes but eventually your going to get really cold and will need a thermal. And don't you think if your working in an office that is set around 65 degrees that it will feel that much hotter outside when you go to your car?!?

IMO the ideal temperature inside of a building should be 75 degrees.

Just thought I would share my thoughts with y'all.
THANK YOU!! I'm always ostracized in every workplace because I like it above 70F. You would think that the hotter outside, the warmer they would keep the room (to a certain degree) so that you don't go through these stark contrasts in temp that gives you headaches or colds.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 AM

543 posts, read 1,386,614 times
LOL. Last weekend, we stopped by Burger King on Scardale for lunch. It was icy cold. There was a lady eating lunch with her little kid. She was shivering and kept telling her child to hurry b/c it's was so cold. I didn't even sit down b/c it was COLD . There is a thermostat near by the door so we went and checked and it was set at 61.
My husband finally had the gut to come up and tell the front man how cold it is in the room and they said they will adjust the temp. By the time that we left the restaurant, I checked the thermostat again and it was 65F . BTW, I looked at the staff and most of them are significantly overweight. I don't know if it has anything to do with it.

This is one of my pet peeve about Houston . It is right the middle of summer and I always have to carry a sweater b/c of places that doesn't have any clue about saving electricity like that restaurant. Kind of like the financial crisis that we have. We're using our electricity to no end and it's not comfortable AT ALL.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
This is true. At my job, they keep the temp at 69-70, so I have to bring a light jacket to work even in the Summer. There is a meeting room that is way colder. For some reason, the environmental people say there is nothing they can do. Bizarre.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
I checked the thermostat again and it was 65F . BTW, I looked at the staff and most of them are significantly overweight. I don't know if it has anything to do with it.
Probably has a little to do with it. Also working over grease pans is hot, and the building's HVAC probably isn't zoned. It's probably 10+ degrees hotter where the workers are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston