Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

Reading the Dallas and Austin boards I read some comments from transplants who are rubbed the wrong way by some admittedly zealous and proud Texans. Interestingly I don't hear as much of that here in Houston - anyone have any negative experiences like this here?

Or - as I suspect - do Houstonians have a knack of adapting to new people from all over the place coming in that some other cities lack? I'll hear so many people elsewhere speak of "diversity" when - yes, there are many different backgrounds of people all around, but they tend run with their own groups. (As much as I enjoy Austin, for example, it is nowhere near as diverse in many respects as it's made out to be.)

I am a native and I'm proud to be where I'm from, but I don't like to go around saying that Texas is better in every way than everywhere else or that Houston is the best city there is. Houston and Texas is the best place for me to live in at this point of my life, for several reasons. But not everyone is me. People come here and results vary. They may decide they don't like it because they come in contact with too many people who are very proud of (more often than not) the only state they've been to.

In the Inner Loop, it can be easy to forget you are in Texas, at least when it's not rodeo time.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,899 times
As a native, I also have Texas pride which unfortunately is not seen in alot of other states. I don't know why it would bother anyone unless they were complaining about Texas. I am actually hoping to move to florida in the next couple of years because that is the place I fell in love with. I do have friends from other states that are always whining about how much they hate Texas or houston for one reason or another and my response is...then move!!One persons paradise may not be anothers. On the florida boards, there is always someone bashing florida and how they can't wait to leave, it's not like New York, NJ, michigan, california..whatever. People want to relocate and then change their location to the place they came from and when it doesn't work, complain... I think Texans are alot less tolerant of that. I love Texas, it is my home state but when I move to Florida, I will adopt that as a state and if I am not happy..I will move back and not bash it for someone else who may love the lifestyle.. I am going in knowing that I'm not going to turn a floridian into a Texan..they won't be having rodeos on the beach etc.
Thats not to say theres not some obnoxious Texans but I don't think thats the norm.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
I haven't lived in Texas, yet. Me, the wife and the children are moving to Houston in the next month or two.

A few months ago, when we decided we would move, I emailed the only person I know who had lived there. A couple that had lived in Sugar Land, only returning to California for family reasons.
In a much longer email he sent me (2 pages printed), where the only negative was talking about traffic in Houston, he had this to say about Texas:

"When you first get there, you'll notice that Texans implicitly think their state is better than any other place and they have a very strong sense of being "Texan". At first, you'll think it is merely bravado but you'll see that it permeates all of their culture. Pretty soon, you understand that they mean it when they say: "Texas, it's a whole different country". After living there a while, you'll likely agree with them."

I happen to come from California, I happen to be 5th generation on my father's side, born here, which is rare. I am proud of my state and I love it. I get a big warm feeling when I see our Bear Republic flag flying over the courthouse.

I understand having pride in your home, and I can't think of a better place to live than a place where the people all love their own state.

Anyway, I look forward to my first rodeo (first *real* rodeo),
I can't wait to sit in the stands of my children's high school on a Friday night and watch my sons play football.
And I am so ready to eat barbecue, you don't even know.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 AM

Welcome to Houston ! Home is where you make it , I believe every state has great things to be proud of and things to not be proud of. It just depends on what you chooose to focus on , and in Texas, we choose to focus on the great things! We have the friendliest people you will find anywhere and alot of them are not native ! Come on down! We're waitin' for ya!!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
"Houston was founded by New Yorkers". this is really pathetic. "Houston is similar/comparable to NYC". dang.
Galveston, NASA, Energy Capital pride! these are drop jaw moments for me
"There's A LOT to do in Houston." *cricket*cricket*cricket*
Bayous. (err floodways/creeks?)

its no biggie to me, just signs that I am in a whole different part of the country. I heard one town's pride was the worlds biggest ball of yarn - houston seem to be in this business too

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 08-07-2007 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 PM

This is a free country, everyone is free to come and go as they wish. My best advice for someone who is unhappy where they are is to choose your happy place and move there. It really is very simple. Why make the people around you miserable because you don't want to be here?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
jfre, ^^^^^^ your sample.

I forgot to add 'If you dont like it then leave" kinda remarks.

SkyeAnjel, you must be refering to my post. Read it again I dont think I mentioned anything to put Texans down. You're just immediately defensive and then sending me away Houston needs migrants. well, educated/professional migrants. Thats what its all about for Cali, and the NE. maybe a few more years we will have filled houston, ridicule houston's worse traits, invade the administration and make real changes. you locals run to the hills with your trucks and daycare schools while we work mmkay. oh youre welcome to join the movement of course

Old 08-07-2007, 02:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
If you don't like it, leave. That goes for every state, not just this one.

I guess this topic is your vehicle to rant. Go ahead. I'm just going to sit and watch this one. Don't have much else to say.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:09 PM

88 posts, read 301,103 times
You don't change Texas, Texas changes you.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:15 PM

Without the daycare schools, who watches your kids while your working mmkay?...I am sure there are plenty of native professionals , I doubt they are all shipped in from somewhere else... I respect anyone who has a job and is not standing on a corner somewhere begging. As a former daycare provider for professional parents, I will tell you my job was way more important then theirs, and they would all agree with me. Okay, we are getting off topic..so ..truce...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston