Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times

Advertisements

I know southeast Houston has been the red-headed stepchild for a long time for finding sources of healthy/organic food. Why the west side of Houston gets all the Whole Foods Markets, I'll never know. Are there any new sources of healthy food on the southeast side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
whole foods isnt necessarily healthy or any better than any other type of industrialized supermarket. there are community supported agriculture here in houston (CSA). you can buy local organic food while supporting local farmers. they generally have meet ups in specific spots around the city but some have neighborhood pickups for people who dont live central. try rawfully organic. they have a pretty good website. there are a few others as well

Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
Bless your heart, but no.

This isn't organic, but from what I understand the foodies love it.

Turistas in Pasadena | Lisa Gray | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
whole foods isnt necessarily healthy or any better than any other type of industrialized supermarket. there are community supported agriculture here in houston (CSA). you can buy local organic food while supporting local farmers. they generally have meet ups in specific spots around the city but some have neighborhood pickups for people who dont live central. try rawfully organic. they have a pretty good website. there are a few others as well
While I would prefer a smaller grocery or coop, I totally disagree with your statement that Whole Foods is like other "industrialized supermarkets". They do not sell products with preservatives, artificial colors, or artificial flavors. They also have many vegetarian options....other supermarkets act like vegetarians don't exist. And they have far more organic options than other supermarkets.

As for "meetups".....I need my groceries when I need them. What happens if I can't make it to a meetup....I'm not supposed to eat?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
I don't know yet if this place is going to carry much in the way of organic or not. They just opened on St. Emmanuel and Rusk in EaDo:

Epicurean Express - Downtown Houston Groceries and More!

The best chance of something organic opening up might be Friendswood or Clear Lake.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
whole foods isnt necessarily healthy or any better than any other type of industrialized supermarket.l
Uhm, wrong. Visit the Randall's in my neighborhood and then visit the Whole Foods Market and then try to convince me there is no difference. There is a HUGE difference.

As jimdc58 said, Whole Foods is wonderful for vegetarians. Also, they banned sucralose (Splenda) from their stores and I am very, very happy about that because now I don't have to read every single food label to avoid buying anything with sucralose in it.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Agreed. Splenda is some spooky stuff, like most processed food.. I still have to read labels. While I try not to eat anything out of a package, or anything with more that 5 ingredients, companies put soy in everything.... things that have no reason for having soy in it. It really has no purpose to randomly be in items that should be harmless. I really don't need to be fattened up like live stock or have my thyroid messed with.

Randalls produce is horrible. HEB is a little better. Whole Foods is fantastic for seasonal, I'm lucky to have two within 2-5 miles of me. But really Central Market is the best I think. The OP just may have to take a weekly trip and load up. Georgia's Market has proved interesting, but it can be hit and miss.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Agreed. Splenda is some spooky stuff, like most processed food.. I still have to read labels. While I try not to eat anything out of a package, or anything with more that 5 ingredients, companies put soy in everything.... things that have no reason for having soy in it. It really has no purpose to randomly be in items that should be harmless. I really don't need to be fattened up like live stock or have my thyroid messed with.

Randalls produce is horrible. HEB is a little better. Whole Foods is fantastic for seasonal, I'm lucky to have two within 2-5 miles of me. But really Central Market is the best I think. The OP just may have to take a weekly trip and load up. Georgia's Market has proved interesting, but it can be hit and miss.
Last time I ate Splenda (which was years ago), I nearly had to go to the ER because my stomach hurt so much.

I do eat soy but I try to limit it to 1-2 servings per day.

Central Market is awesome. I'm sad that they aren't building more of them. Telfair is very close to my house and is getting a new HEB and I hope the store ends up looking more like a Central Market and less like a garden variety HEB.

As for the New Territory Randall's, they deserve to go away. Their service is terrible, their selection is pathetic, and they should be very, very afraid about the new HEB going in a few blocks away from them.

OP: Southeast Houston is not good for organic food. If I were you, I would buy a huge cooler and do a once or twice weekly grocery trip for all the organic food not available in Southeast Houston.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
As some have stated, Whole Foods isn't necessarily the high-end provider of healthy and untainted foods. They have given up on some national-level fights against GMO foods, and so have compromised their mission. Regardless, it's still better than the average grocery store. I believe there may be one in Pearland(??), so possibly closer to Southeast Houston than midtown(?) or west Houston.

Also in the Westheimer/midtown(?) area is HEB Central Market. They may be a good alternative to Whole Foods. And down in Alvin, is Froberg's Farm, which is even more local and fresh. Probably worth an occasional drive down there.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
As some have stated, Whole Foods isn't necessarily the high-end provider of healthy and untainted foods. They have given up on some national-level fights against GMO foods, and so have compromised their mission. Regardless, it's still better than the average grocery store. I believe there may be one in Pearland(??), so possibly closer to Southeast Houston than midtown(?) or west Houston.
There is no Whole Foods Market in Pearland. The 5 Houston area stores are in Sugar Land, Wilcrest, Bellaire, Woodway, and Kirby. Another store is opening soon in Montrose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston