Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:33 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times

Advertisements

I live in the Fondren Southwest Area and , as somebody mentioned earlier, along with Meyerland and greater SW Houston is the epicenter for Jewish life in the Houston area. I'm not Jewish,but I've noticed the pull of the SW is so strong that the Meyerland Jewish trend is really spilling over to Fondren SW - about 3-5 miles outboard to the west. Land in Meyerland is very expensive compared to FSW, which still has a bit of rural character and empty land. Several temples have been built here in the last two decades and I have some Jewish neighbors who have told me that many Orthodox are moving here because the strict tenets of orthodoxism outlaw driving cars to temple on Saturday ... thus making living way out in Ft Bend county off limits.

It's a very interesting reverse-white-flight (is that a word?) going on in FSW and neighboring Frontenac and Lakes of Fondren. The neighborhood has been predominantly black for years but increasingly it's becoming Jewish and also Asian (very short hop up Beltway 8 to Bellaire Chinatown).

Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
All I did was state my opinion before you turned it into bickering post. I spoke my opinion...used an analogy that was not meant for any purpose other then to give an example of what happens with the we vs. them mentalities. I posted my opinion with the song Imagine... a peacefull song by Lennon that has a beautiful message. Then all hell broke loose created mainly by you. I am glad the OP took it as a difference of opinion rather then to take it as you did. What you did is so typical of people with the we vs. them mentality. That is the problem with religion...if someone makes a statement about how it has divided humans then the deeply conditioned we vs. them mentality kicks in and they act just like you do. Thank you for proving what I have been telling you throughout this post.
Actually, the proof you are looking for is in the mirror. No "hell" broke loose here, I simply had the temerity to respectfully challenge your assumption (note I didn't challenge your hijacking of the thread...) and you seem to be quite offended. Perhaps the person in the mirror is the one with the "we vs. them" knee jerk reflex....

Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Actually, the proof you are looking for is in the mirror. No "hell" broke loose here, I simply had the temerity to respectfully challenge your assumption (note I didn't challenge your hijacking of the thread...) and you seem to be quite offended. Perhaps the person in the mirror is the one with the "we vs. them" knee jerk reflex....
Wow you really have me all wrong. It does not bother me to the least that you don't share the same view as I do about religion and we vs. them mentalities. I just did not expect the name calling and insulting words you were throwing at me. I will stand up to nasty people who lash out at me to defend my honor and if that is knee jerk then oh well. Would it not have been much more easy to just carry on an intellectual discussion rather than confront with the we vs. them deep conditioned mentality?

You have got to be fooling yourself if you think you respectfully challenged my post.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Wow you really have me all wrong. It does not bother me to the least that you don't share the same view as I do about religion and we vs. them mentalities. I just did not expect the name calling and insulting words you were throwing at me. I will stand up to nasty people who lash out at me to defend my honor and if that is knee jerk then oh well. Would it not have been much more easy to just carry on an intellectual discussion rather than confront with the we vs. them deep conditioned mentality?
Sorry, I guess I'm just not smart enough to comprehend the depth of your philosophy. I'll try to work on it.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:21 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Sorry, I guess I'm just not smart enough to comprehend the depth of your philosophy. I'll try to work on it.

Actually I doubt you will ever get it due to the responses I got from you.

There is quite a bit of difference between being smart and being wise...

Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 AM

17 posts, read 129,400 times
Hi,

I'm thankful to the people who are defending my post against one obnoxious poster who, instead of helping, is just using up space and detracting from the original reason of the post. My family would be moving thousands of miles, and we are in desperate need of help finding a community that is right for us. We have been living the past 3 years in a place that doesn't fit us at all, and we've been miserable. We don't want to make the same mistake again.

Can we please keep the remainder of posts to the relevant matter at hand? If an ignorant commenter who knows nothing about my religion wants to waste space and insult religion in general, that's his deal. I've already reported him. Let's just ignore him and just stick to please proving me with much needed information.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:42 AM

[quote=Aliextrm;19653758]

First my post was not about your specific religion...just religion in general. Second I am a she not a he. Third...I'm not quite sure what you reported on me. This is a public forum and I found your post offensive. I read all of your posts and the we. vs them mentality is present in all of them. No one attacked you. I spoke my opinion...no crime there. The poster bickering with me is the one who should be reported. Name calling just because I think differently then you or him does not warrent name calling...actually that is reportable...but I am bigger then that. I understand why people have to resort to name calling especially if they get upset when you think differently.

Let me just say that this post is the perfect expample of what I have been discussing in this thread. There is no ignorance if someone does not believe like you do. I suggest that you get used to it. If you come to Houston or Dallas with that mentality then I can assure you that you will be miserable in those cities as well.

To keep to the post. I lived in Houston for 43 years and Dallas a little over one year. I would be honest to say that Houston is much more diverse culturally then Dallas...in every sense of the word. Dallas is very conservative compared to Houston as far as religion and politics goes.

The job market in the medical profession is wholesome and wide open. The Texas Medical Center is a wonderful place to work and or study at.

I can't comment on the Jewish community that you are specifically seeking as in my 43 recent years in Houston I never heard of one that stood out to meet what you are looking for.

Houston has a lot to offer as far as culture, great food, great entertainment, very friendly people, affordable living but the one thing most people have to adjust to is the heat, humidity, mosquitoes and other bugs during the summer months. But most who do move there usually adjust well.

The job market is doing better then most places but it depends on what type of work your looking for.

Good Luck in your search.

Thank you posters that are supporting me!

Last edited by TVC15; 06-19-2011 at 03:12 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
First my post was not about your specific religion...just religion in general.

I can't comment on the Jewish community that you are specifically seeking as in my 43 recent years in Houston I never heard of one that stood out to meet what you are looking for.

Thank you posters that are supporting me!
The OP asked about Jewish communities. As you state above, you took the opportunity to slam all religions, which contributed nothing to this discussion.

If you can't comment on Jewish communities, why enter this thread? Start your own on the topic you want. What you did is called threadcrapping.

And no one is supporting you. Even the mods felt it necessary to edit your original post.

Go away. Start your own thread.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:29 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Too much bickering and off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: