U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 AM
 
17 posts, read 110,577 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Hey, so I've seen a ton of threads about the age old heated argument: Houston vs. Dallas. This is another one, but not really the same. I want get information specifically about the Jewish communities in each city, not really the merits of living in Dallas or Houston. I know that argument will never be settled and that there are positives and negatives about each city.

My husband and I are modern orthodox Jews and are considering a relocation to Texas for school. I am going into physical therapy. We want to find a nice vibrant young Jewish community to live in. We are in our early late 20s, early 30s. Basically, we want to know which one offers more Kosher amenities such as food and restaurants, has more orthodox synagogues, schools, etc.

We're also curious about the associated real estate costs. What are the average housing costs in the areas where most orthodox Jews live in both cities? What's the economic situation like in Dallas and Houston? I know that Texas is at the forefront of economic growth in America right now on paper, but what's the feeling on the ground? How long do you think it would take for us to find a job? What's the average commuting time for people in both cities? I've heard so many different things about the traffic in both Houston and Dallas. What's the real truth?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated. We're trying to get as much research in order to make an informed decision.

Thanks for all your help!!

 
Old 06-17-2011, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,711,458 times
Reputation: 8885
I know some of you guys are going to hate me for saying this (even though I supposedly live in a free country) but....here we go with the we vs. them mentality that keeps the world divided and has kept the world divided for eons...[mod edit - inappropriate]

Last edited by Oildog; 06-17-2011 at 09:53 AM..
 
Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Fondren SW Yo
2,783 posts, read 6,003,588 times
Reputation: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliextrm View Post
Hey, so I've seen a ton of threads about the age old heated argument: Houston vs. Dallas. This is another one, but not really the same. I want get information specifically about the Jewish communities in each city, not really the merits of living in Dallas or Houston. I know that argument will never be settled and that there are positives and negatives about each city.

My husband and I are modern orthodox Jews and are considering a relocation to Texas for school. I am going into physical therapy. We want to find a nice vibrant young Jewish community to live in. We are in our early late 20s, early 30s. Basically, we want to know which one offers more Kosher amenities such as food and restaurants, has more orthodox synagogues, schools, etc.

We're also curious about the associated real estate costs. What are the average housing costs in the areas where most orthodox Jews live in both cities? What's the economic situation like in Dallas and Houston? I know that Texas is at the forefront of economic growth in America right now on paper, but what's the feeling on the ground? How long do you think it would take for us to find a job? What's the average commuting time for people in both cities? I've heard so many different things about the traffic in both Houston and Dallas. What's the real truth?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated. We're trying to get as much research in order to make an informed decision.

Thanks for all your help!!
PM sent to the OP.
 
Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 44,679,698 times
Reputation: 10382
I'm not Jewish but I work for them as well as hang out with them and well accepted into their inner circles. I also can not speak of any comparisons to Dallas but I know quite a lot about the Jewish community in Houston....specifically the Meyerland area. You're opportunities for employment and housing are better then average due to the "help eachother" mind set among this group.

It is true Texas economy is better then most the rest of the country but not in the construction trades which actually ranks the 2nd worst in the country. You used the words "economic growth". I can assure you there is no economic growth here. We are just holding our own rather then falling further each day as most of the country is. Make no mistake we are in a full blown depression by any neutral NON government statistic. Texas seems to be doing ok but nothing to brag about.

You want a young vibrant Jewish community. Well you got that and more here. Schools are good in the Meyerland area and those kids are going to the JCC well before pre kindergarten for classes. Seems more like day care then pre kindergarten. All your JCCs are beautiful modern places where you will find many friends and advice. Beautiful neighborhoods all kept well without any communist HOAs to tell them how to run their lives. You'll be right at home in Meyerland.

Good luck
And choose Houston, not Dallas.
 
Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Fondren SW Yo
2,783 posts, read 6,003,588 times
Reputation: 2216
[quote=TVC15;19628278]I know some of you guys are going to hate me for saying this (even though I supposedly live in a free country) but....here we go with the we vs. them mentality that keeps the world divided and has kept the world divided for eons...


TVC15, there's no reason to hate you for your post. It's just ignorant and of no help to anyone. There is no "we vs. them" in the OP's question. And to draw in the Nazi comparison? Good grief.

Last edited by Oildog; 06-17-2011 at 09:54 AM..
 
Old 06-17-2011, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Houston/Brenham
4,121 posts, read 4,707,735 times
Reputation: 7584
I'm not Orthodox, but my brother is. He lives in the Orthodox community near UOS (SW Houston, near Meyerland). It is vibrant, active, full of young people, kids.

Houston has better, more affordable housing than Dallas, and I think you will find people are more open & accepting here. Not as much class snobbery as there is in Dallas. The Jewish community here (all of them, not just Orthos) are very active. Lots of events, very philanthropic.

[mod edit - orphan post reference]

Last edited by Oildog; 06-17-2011 at 09:55 AM..
 
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Westbury
3,283 posts, read 5,106,296 times
Reputation: 2931
houston has a large jewish community including conservative jews. there are a higher population in the SW area like people are saying Meyerland, Braes Heights, Fondren SW. I have never seen a kosher shoppe in a mainstream grocery store other than right in this area. there are various large temples here and a very strong jewish community center (business, financial and family support). the meyerland/SW area of houston is also very diverse. there is a large hindu temple, a mosque, christian and catholic churches in the area. it is pretty neat.

you will get different answers but i think as houston is so diverse people tend to be more tolerant. ive never had a problem in dallas but some areas appear even less diverse than some areas in houston.

houston also has better food, museums, closer to the coast than in dallas. in my opinion it is a better place
 
Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,711,458 times
Reputation: 8885
[quote=rb4browns;19630066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I know some of you guys are going to hate me for saying this (even though I supposedly live in a free country) but....here we go with the we vs. them mentality that keeps the world divided and has kept the world divided for eons...


TVC15, there's no reason to hate you for your post. It's just ignorant and of no help to anyone. There is no "we vs. them" in the OP's question. And to draw in the Nazi comparison? Good grief.
rb4browns...we will disagree once again on this topic. I actually used a bad analogy to try and make a point of us vs. them mentality. It was a horrific thing that happened in our history due to what happens when people are divided. That is the point I was trying to make. I should have used a less sensitive analogy to get that point across. My sincere apologies if it was offensive to anyone.

However you say there was no we vs. them. Actually there was...it was all over the post and in the title.

You say that it is just ignorant and of no help to anyone?

Understanding how religion has keep humans divided for eons is not ignorance...it is fact.

I say what I say because I know that still today in 2011 there are people out there that are not comfortable enough to say hey I don't believe in man created religion and I don't agree with the dividedness that it creates. I like to help those people know that they are not alone in that thought and that it is OK to voice it...after all we are in a "free" country are we not?

I agree I used a very bad analogy but not with evil intent.

Thank you to those who rep'ed me...I know you understood where I was coming from.

Sorry everyone for the bad analogy.
 
Old 06-17-2011, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Fondren SW Yo
2,783 posts, read 6,003,588 times
Reputation: 2216
[quote=TVC15;19636757]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post

rb4browns...we will disagree once again on this topic. I actually used a bad analogy to try and make a point of us vs. them mentality. It was a horrific thing that happened in our history due to what happens when people are divided. That is the point I was trying to make. I should have used a less sensitive analogy to get that point across. My sincere apologies if it was offensive to anyone.

However you say there was no we vs. them. Actually there was...it was all over the post and in the title.

You say that it is just ignorant and of no help to anyone?

Understanding how religion has keep humans divided for eons is not ignorance...it is fact.

I say what I say because I know that still today in 2011 there are people out there that are not comfortable enough to say hey I don't believe in man created religion and I don't agree with the dividedness that it creates. I like to help those people know that they are not alone in that thought and that it is OK to voice it...after all we are in a "free" country are we not?

I agree I used a very bad analogy but not with evil intent.

Thank you to those who rep'ed me...I know you understood where I was coming from.

Sorry everyone for the bad analogy.
The analogy was not offensive, it was just lame. Believe in what you want, but if you think that Jewish people looking for a Jewish community is what causes evil in the world, you are a naive fool. Next time you are looking to go jihad on those who choose religion, take it to the appropriate forum. Thanks and God bless.
 
Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,711,458 times
Reputation: 8885
[quote=rb4browns;19637032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

The analogy was not offensive, it was just lame. Believe in what you want, but if you think that Jewish people looking for a Jewish community is what causes evil in the world, you are a naive fool. Next time you are looking to go jihad on those who choose religion, take it to the appropriate forum. Thanks and God bless.
Come on now...where did say that Jewish people looking for a Jewish community is what causes evil in the world? That is crazy to assume that is my message.

I will say it again. Religion is a we vs. them belief system which keeps the people of the world divided. That is the message.

The we vs. them mentality is not only seen in religion. It is seen in sports, in wealth, in education, in politics and so on and so on. We get a very good first lesson about the we vs. them mentality when come into this planet and are conditioned at a young age to believe in a certain religion. When many of those people get a little older to actually understand and think...what is the first thing they do when they find out that you do not believe in the same religion as them? Hmmm A very deep conditioned lesson of we vs. them.

Other examples of the horrific things that the we vs. them mentality that have kept humans divided and caused humans and animals to be tortured.

The Christian Crusades
The Wars in History
The Giants fan who had his head kicked in for being at a Dodgers game and being a Giants fan.
The way animals are horrifically abused
The way blacks were treated in this country

I hope the message is a little clearer now. If you still don't get the message...it is that the we vs. them mentality is bad for everyone no matter what form it comes in!

Peace out and thank you for the blessings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top