Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:20 PM

190 posts, read 575,056 times

Advertisements

^^ I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA is right. It IS a matter of what you can tolerate. I grew up in central NC and, honestly, the summer here in Houston hasn't been all that different from summers in NC, so I find the heat manageable. One thing I do like about Houston is the fact there seems to be at least somewhat of a breeze blowing 'round and that helps with dealing with the heat too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 04:31 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
It is definitely "livable." Been doing it for a long time. A/C goes nonstop. Even at the ballpark of course.

It's not that any one day is so bad....it's the relentlessness that gets me I guess....especially when it never cools off even at night -

Mrs. Watchful and I just can't see ourselves retiring here....and the thought of living in a land of four seasons seems awfully appealing.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Just went out to check the mail. Breeze is making it bearable, plus the fact that it's not oppressively humid (~50% again). Stand in the shade with something cold to drink and you're golden.

Houston's southern half generally gets more breeze as it is closer to the water. It is almost constant immediately along the coast. In places like Downtown, Midtown, even Montrose, the combination of trees and mid-to-high rise buildings block out the wind. The air is generally a little more stagnant as you go inland - go up to Huntsville and an August afternoon can be brutal. It works the same in North Carolina, where you can be on the water and have a breeze but the peak of summer in the Piedmont is as miserable as it is in Houston. It is more like Austin or Central Texas. Where they are different is that the hot season only runs from about June to August and perhaps the first week of September. It can be April-October here, although Houston doesn't seem as prone to the extreme heatwaves of upwards of 110 degrees (not heat index) like the Southeast does. The summer just stays pretty consistently in the 90s with a few surges into triple digits here and there, and some "cool" fronts coming in that bring highs into the 80s every once in awhile. Summer can really be a drag here, but it's predictable. Some years are just a little hotter than others - this one has been mild if unusually wet. (We're about to get rained on in a bit.)

In Houston you know what you're going to get for half of the year, and this is probably the best-equipped city in the nation to handle it.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 16,560 times
i was told when i moved here to get used to walking around feeling like you have a wet blanket on every time you go outside..it's true. and the bugs are disgusting!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:17 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
It's been hot here in beautiful CA these last few days. I am told it's even hotter in Houston. I can't even imagine how hot that is.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:40 PM

19 posts, read 143,274 times
I relocated from the DC/MD/VA area last year and have not regretted the decision. I was born and raised in DC and I will tell you this, if you can take the hot/humid summers in MD (DC areas specifically) with temps reaching the upper 90s, Houston will not be a problem at all. I find that hot is hot, I can hardly tell the difference between summer here in Houston and summer in DC/MD/VA. The only difference is the heat last longer here as it's still hot in October and by the time in MD its truly fall weather.

If the heat is the only thing holding you back, I say make the move...it's well worth it - Houston offers more bang for your hard earned buck.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddtiger View Post
I relocated from the DC/MD/VA area last year and have not regretted the decision. I was born and raised in DC and I will tell you this, if you can take the hot/humid summers in MD (DC areas specifically) with temps reaching the upper 90s, Houston will not be a problem at all. I find that hot is hot, I can hardly tell the difference between summer here in Houston and summer in DC/MD/VA. The only difference is the heat last longer here as it's still hot in October and by the time in MD its truly fall weather.

If the heat is the only thing holding you back, I say make the move...it's well worth it - Houston offers more bang for your hard earned buck.
True -- except for property taxes, electric cost and home insurance.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
True -- except for property taxes, electric cost and home insurance.
This is true, property taxes and insurance are higher in Houston. However, I beg to differ about utility cost. My comment was that you get more for your money in Texas. Even though my property tax rate here in Texas is 3.6% on 170K mortgage, my total monthly housing payment is cheaper now and my home is twice the size of my previous home in MD (coincidentally I was in a not so good neighborhood with even worse school district paying $400K for a 1,500 sq ft bungalow with 3BRs, 1BA, no garage, built in 1958). My TX home is only 4 years old, 3200 sq ft, 4BRs, 3BAs, 2 car, 2 fireplaces, top of the line kitchen, etc. and my total montly payment (PITI) is still less than what i paid in MD, plus there is no income tax in Texas - so as I stated, you truly do get more for your money here. My current electric bill is pretty high during the summer months, but its not any worse than my gas heating bill was in MD during the winter months. I say Texas provides the better deal bar none.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM

Enjoy your big house. I hear it's not easy to get flood insurance over there. Do you have flood insurance? I hope you do because you never know when you might need it.

Universe Today » Arctic Ice Coverage Will Shrink to 2050 Projections… This Summer

Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Enjoy your big house. I hear it's not easy to get flood insurance over there. Do you have flood insurance? I hope you do because you never know when you might need it.

Universe Today » Arctic Ice Coverage Will Shrink to 2050 Projections… This Summer

Wow Davidt, you're funny. And yes, I am enjoying my "big" house. I did not have any problem getting flood insurance or any other kind of insurance "over here." Flood insurance in my area is $300/year and is offered by all major insurance carriers. My homeowners insurance is actually the same amount here as what I paid in MD. I had State Farm in Maryland and they wrote another policy for me when I first moved to Texas. It's true that State Farm does not accept new homeowner's policies in Texas (but there are numerous reputable companies do write new TX policies at decent rates), but since I was with State Farm for 7 years in another state they wrote a new Texas policy for me with no problem. However, after doing some cost comparisons, I switched to Traveler's for home and car at 45% savings with the same HO-W policy which includes everything including wind, hail, etc. which I probably will never need as I am well over 100 miles inland and not in a flood zone. My neighborhood is very well established and does not flood like some other neighborhoods in the general Houston area. I would, however, advise anyone contemplating a move to the greater Houston area to seek areas outside of the usual flood zones which typically are located in central, south, east and SW Houston proper. My neighborhood is located in the NE quardrant of the metropolitan area and does not flood. But thanks anyway for your quasi concern. :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston