U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,841,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You have like two seasons there, warm winter and hot the rest of the year?
Unfortunately this is true, our seasons are HOT and not so hot
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:27 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,748,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You need to get out (of Alief) more.
let me guess, to the heights? or to the so-many-things-to-do destinations of houston. i'll just do what every houston'er does - see other places, do other things outside of houston or just stay at home. hows that ghetto btw? my ghetto is all good

Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikanakala View Post
...the variety of things there are to do here. There is always some festival going on, great places to eat, etc. And as for where to live, everyone takes the bus to work downtown from the Park & Ride's anyway, so it really doesn't matter where you live--choose safe over close!
thats what i'm talking about may i ask if you work? downtown? and commute?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 AM

90 posts, read 257,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
thats what i'm talking about may i ask if you work? downtown? and commute?
Not me, but I have family and friends that commute via Park & Ride. My brother even takes the Metro Rail.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikanakala View Post
Not me, but I have family and friends that commute via Park & Ride. My brother even takes the Metro Rail.
i knew it just want to point out that not everyone takes the bus, or have the option to take the bus. to say that 'everyone takes the bus anyway', just gives readers the wrong idea about Houston. it matters where you live of course - depends on your(husband's?) priorities and maybe real estate senses, so to speak . Anyway, coming from the innerlooper houstoner, lets all get out more. suburbia housewife, and all types of people of houston. oh crap, its hot outside :\

Old 08-29-2007, 02:51 PM

90 posts, read 257,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
i knew it just want to point out that not everyone takes the bus, or have the option to take the bus. to say that 'everyone takes the bus anyway', just gives readers the wrong idea about Houston. it matters where you live of course - depends on your(husband's?) priorities and maybe real estate senses, so to speak .
Please excuse my earlier generalization, obviously I know not "everyone" takes the bus. It does seem that way in the suburbs, as, to me (and of course this is my opinion), it seems to be more cost effective, more environmentally conscious, and quicker to take it if you live in the suburbs and work downtown. My point was, in Houston, much more than in many other parts of the south, public transportation is more of a norm. When I told friends of mine in Oklahoma that we took the bus to work regularly, they were shocked. In Tulsa, the bus system is used more as low income transportation. Mostly, it seems that you and I are just coming from different points of view, as I deduced from reading your previous posts regarding nothing to do here, etc. I like living here; therefore, I am painting a positive picture.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:12 PM

25 posts, read 49,089 times
Thumbs down yes it's THAT hot

I've lived here my whole life and here are my opinions.

From May until Mid November it's HOT, there are some ok days, but it's always ruined by the excessive humidity.

The humidity is way too much for one place to have. Your hair (for a woman) never holds a hairstyle, and you get so sticky that you have to put your hair up and we have to hold the record for the most deoderant bought in the entire US.

When getting into your car it's like a sauna...it is simply unbearable. It takes a very long time to cool down.

The sun is relentless, I am fair skinned so I can't stay out in the sun for more than a few minutes.

If you have any type of respritory issues - STAY AWAY. I have asthma and it is pure torture here.

As far as locations, you might want to stay away from the Greenspoint area, I-45 North/1960, 59 East by the Beltway. Good locations in the North/NW area are, anywhere in the CyFair area, Klein, The Woodlands, North Spring, Tomball, Conroe, Cypress.

Good schools, Cy-Fair, Tomball, Klein

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:21 PM

53 posts, read 117,628 times
Did the original poster ever come back? Did he melt during his visit here? If he is reading, we moved here from "up north" for husband's job and last year we had 3 kids under 4 (oldest has since turned 5).

While the heat is difficult enough for adults, it was really hard on my kids. When we first moved here, they got worn out so easily. They are used to playing outside all day in the summer and they just can't do that here. It's a big lifestyle change to do your outdoor things early in the morning and then stay in. Thankfully, Houston has a lot of indoor activity places for kids. And all the schools (that I know of) are air-conditioned.

In my mind, the winters by far make up for the summers. My kids miss snow though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston