Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:01 PM

7,532 posts, read 11,504,498 times

Advertisements

Judge Rules Red-Light Camera Election 'Invalid' - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/28271978/detail.html - broken link)

Hell no the city is gonna get sued again watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 04:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,510,410 times
Now I want to ask all you people who believe in voting. Who believe your vote counts. Are you a fool? Do you believe everything your (not mine) government tells you? How does it feel to be a Sheep who goes through life following the brown hole in front of you?

Does this ruling surprise anyone? Not me. The simple fact that your govt refused to take those cameras down is was and always will be rock solid proof that they always intended to turn them back on after all the heightened awareness wore off after the sham of an election where people were paid to vote went to the polls and voted for red light cameras.

It's disgusting. Liars, thieves and crooks. Go ahead and vote again come November, be disapointed because you were lied to then go vote again as if you never learned your lesson.

Maybe something good will come of it. The pigs might quit hiding like Cats after their prey with their silly radar and go back to sitting in Shipley's donut parking lots all morning....and afternoon....and night.........and...well you know. This would most certainly make our roads safer without them

Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,976,724 times
Quote:
American Traffic Solutions (http://www.atsol.com/about-us.html - broken link) was issued the city's red-light camera contract."We are still reviewing the judge's ruling and further analyzing its implications. However, we have always questioned whether the proper procedure was followed by the petitioners. This ruling affirms our belief that the election was not proper and sets an important precedent," said James Tuton, American Traffic Solutions president and CEO.
Wow, what a shock the CEO who's company got the contract is in favor of the ruling.

Disgusting.

And desertsun, don't count on it. Every politician is in bed with someone else other than their wife.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:26 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,872,111 times
This doesn't mean the cameras will be turned back on - according to the news, it just presents itself a new set of issues.

Personally, I like them - so if it were up to me (unfortunately it isn't) I'd say "turn 'em on baby"

Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,527,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Judge Rules Red-Light Camera Election 'Invalid' - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/28271978/detail.html - broken link)

Hell no the city is gonna get sued again watch
Here's the question - who's gonna fight City Hall? As I understand it, city officials sued to invalidate the election that got them turned off, and will probably appeal all the way to the Supreme Court, given that they've collected $44m worth of fines in the past, making a legal victory one that pays for itself. Unless some billionaire makes turning off red light cameras a personal crusade* and funds litigation against the city, I think these cameras are coming back. The red light runners, deliberate or inadvertent, whose plates were snapped in the interim may soon get unexpected surprises in the mail.

* The caveat here is that it's possible that some ambulance chasers may find a way to extract tens of millions of dollars from the city over the operation of red light cameras. If that's the case, then city officials will lose - badly. But what's the angle? Emotional trauma over a traffic fine?

Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,784,002 times
I hated the cameras. I got a ticket for making a right turn on a red light. I always thought that was legal but I guess not. To be honest I have noticed that I drive a little more reckless knowing the cameras were turned off. But I was also driving overly cautious with the cameras on.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,527,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I hated the cameras. I got a ticket for making a right turn on a red light. I always thought that was legal but I guess not. To be honest I have noticed that I drive a little more reckless knowing the cameras were turned off. But I was also driving overly cautious with the cameras on.
It's legal unless there's a sign saying otherwise. But you have to come to a full stop beforehand. If you don't, that's considered going through a red light.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:29 PM

61,062 posts, read 85,858,261 times
That means the city government could once again start sending out tickets to drivers photographed running red lights. Houston Mayor Annise Parker and the city council will have to vote on that.

It's all about the money... again:
The decision, though, will be complicated. Because the cameras are run by a private contractor, the city may have to pay millions to get out of the current contract.

City officials said they generated some $44 million in revenue.
Federal judge: Houston's red light referendum was illegal | khou.com Houston

Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,510,410 times
Vote vote vote. The people supposedly voted to turn off those cameras which clearly violate our slowly deteriorating rights. Can anyone tell me details on when we the people voted to hang those cameras and turn them on so they can rape, extort and pillage our hard earned money from us law abiding citizens? I didn't think so. Your bully government just put them up without asking we the people. Do you still trust them?

In the mean time, if anyone knows when we the people were asked first if we want cameras watching our every move let me know.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,569,264 times
We're a city of suckers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston