Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:06 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _adayinthelife View Post
Every time I find an apartment I like, I learn it has god awful reviews. I don't really care if the management is ****ty but when I hear people complain about theft, rape, gangs, etc. I become hesitant to rent at a place. What are some affordable (2 Bed/2 Bath under $1000) family/pet friendly complexes in the area? I would really appreciate some recommendations.
No. This depends on the area. Look in Katy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
You can rent a 2/2 or even 3/2 850sqft t to 1200sqft house for $850 to $1100 in Houston

Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 PM

133 posts, read 268,479 times
Sounds like the old "champagne taste on a beer allowance" to me. Until you go ritz, apartments are ghetto no matter what big city you're in. People in the ghetto are always trying to get out and they frequently just end up taking it with them to any place they can afford. What's even worse is that even buying a house doesn't guarantee you anything, especially if they end up building an apartment complex within walking distance.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I've got a lot of first-hand experience with it. Even in small cities in the heartland.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Sounds like the old "champagne taste on a beer allowance" to me.
This is somewhat true. You have to be realistic with things. The thing is that Houston can be cheap, but cheap is exactly what you'll get. The thing is that you could find a 2/2 for under $1000 in Houston, but you wouldn't want to live there, whereas this is simply impossible in the central areas of most other major cities---forget about even cardboard boxes.

Quote:
People in the ghetto are always trying to get out and they frequently just end up taking it with them to any place they can afford. What's even worse is that even buying a house doesn't guarantee you anything, especially if they end up building an apartment complex within walking distance.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I've got a lot of first-hand experience with it. Even in small cities in the heartland.
No. Not all apartments are cheap or gross. IMO, this is really a Texan, suburban-urban, everything-big-and-new mentality.

Granted my apartment is a technically a condo, it's very nice. My live-in landlord upkeeps on it and all I pay is $600 a month, everything included (utilities, cable, weekly maid, washer, dryer)---in great neighborhood in Boston. Apartments are all about giving up a yard and some extra guests rooms.

Houses in Houston are easy to come by because they make up something like 98% of the housing stock and therefore the market caters to that option

Old 06-21-2011, 11:14 PM

64 posts, read 180,666 times
98%?? No way Jose. More like 75%.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny77 View Post
98%?? No way Jose. More like 75%.
Yeah, but you get my point.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
to the OP: you really need two bedrooms? houston is affordable but not that affordable. a 2/2 most anywhere close enough to reasonably commute to the city and is safe is not going to be under 1000 unless you find that hidden gems like dopo said. also depends on what you think safety is. anyone standing outside in the middle of the day in an apartment complex deem it unsafe? the area being in transition? than the area dopo said i dont think you'd go for. maybe you need to readjust your expectations/standards

i think your best bet is to find an older apartment complex inside one of the established suburbs. i.e. sugarland, kingwood, whatever other suburbs that exist close enough to commute. for a 2/2 you will either be right at 1000 or a little over
You can find many decent apartments close in within the city for under $1000.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 AM

22 posts, read 34,901 times
About being "realistic"..

If you look around this place at the crime rate and quality of citizen, you would expect to find a PALACE for 1K a month! I couldn't imagine being a home owner here knowing that I pay all kinds of taxes and it going to no beautification what so ever or any kind of basic public service!
There are a few pockets of decent neighborhoods around Houston, but it takes a long time to venture through all of them and make a decision. The online reviews do tend to be written by some vindictive people, they are easy to spot when they can't spell or TYPE IN ALL CAPS. Visit the place at night and walk around as if you were someones guest.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM

69 posts, read 204,988 times
Making visits during various times of day and night are good suggestions. Let me add to that point by saying you may want to look for a small apartment building vs a big apartment community.

Anytime you have too many people crowded together there are going to be more opportunities for problems to happen.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You can find many decent apartments close in within the city for under $1000.
i never found one. the average in montrose is 1000-1200 for a small 2/1 duplex apartment without central air. or if you get an AC unit you are lucky

yes there were 500 buck a month all bills paid places close by but regarding the OPs first post - i dont think itd meet his criteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston