Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 7,061 times

Advertisements

I am an Asian lady, 36 years old. I have two kids, 9&6 years old. Both my husband and I immigrated in Canada in 2003. I did some labor jobs to support my husband finished his master degree. He found his first job in U.S. in 2008, then he got a decent pay job in Huston this year. I want to continue my schooling, because my children are getting old and I do not worry about money problem. My husband told me he wants divorce with me. The basic reason is that I don't have any income, indirctly decreased his life quality. He wants find a girl who is younger and has income. We have a house in other state(now is on sale), that my parents lent us $20,000 for the down paryment. He dosn't want give me more money except the $20,000, and keep my kids with him. My status is temporary visa in United States, if I get divorce I have to leave here and my kids. My heart is broken, please tell me the processing of divorce. I only want get the rights I support to have. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldman View Post
I am an Asian lady, 36 years old. I have two kids, 9&6 years old. Both my husband and I immigrated in Canada in 2003. I did some labor jobs to support my husband finished his master degree. He found his first job in U.S. in 2008, then he got a decent pay job in Huston this year. I want to continue my schooling, because my children are getting old and I do not worry about money problem. My husband told me he wants divorce with me. The basic reason is that I don't have any income, indirctly decreased his life quality. He wants find a girl who is younger and has income. We have a house in other state(now is on sale), that my parents lent us $20,000 for the down paryment. He dosn't want give me more money except the $20,000, and keep my kids with him. My status is temporary visa in United States, if I get divorce I have to leave here and my kids. My heart is broken, please tell me the processing of divorce. I only want get the rights I support to have. Thanks!
You need a qualified family law attorney, not random advice from anonymous internet posters.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM

115 posts, read 396,649 times
Agree with previous poster about getting a divorce attorney. You should get 50% of assets, shared custody of the kids, and child support. It's the end with him but a new beginning for you...and the kids. Stay strong and stand up for yourself!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,185 times
Don't mess around with your visa status and divorce...I know from experience with the immigration system...one wrong move can have you banned for 10 years or life. As others have said get a qualified family law attorney AND an immigration attorney.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
I do not think the younger woman is gonna want your two children all the time. Shared custody is the best he can hope for. In order for you to get half of the assets, you need to prove where and what they are. Your job now is to protect the future of your children. If you worked and put him through school, that will count for something. A good family law attorney will be your friend. They can get the most of your children's education and heath care until they are out of graduate school. It is worth the legal fee. There are community and United Way agencies that can help you find legal help if you do not have any money now.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:41 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
get an attorney. there are some legal services you can access in houston if your husband won't help financially (doubt he will, what a winner).
if your husband was abusive (he sounds at least financially abusive) you can fight for legal citizenship. there are requirements. an immigration or divorce attorney could help

besides the united way, lawyers, maybe consider calling Houston Area Women's Center. They have legal advice and legal services. not sure if you have to be a client but I imagine if you get hooked up with the right person they could give you advice.

asian american family services in houston is a large organization. they provide counseling, some financial assistance and referral (713) 600-9400

Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 PM

86 posts, read 250,030 times
Fieldman,
Please start documenting everything. If your kids are going to be in this country it is very well possible that a good immigration attorney and divorce attorney can save you.
Start documenting and collecting proofs of anything that may help.
He sounds like a jerk... you may be better off without him. But be strong for yourself and your kids. Contact lawyers .. You may be even able to pay in small installments. Contact the agency that testmo suggested.
There is no way anyone will ask you to leave your kids and go. But you need a good lawyer.

Do you have good credit? Bank account ? Job ? Can you drive ? >> how independent are you at this point?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,185 times
Again get an immgration lawyer NOW...BEFORE you get a family law attorney. Immigration officers could care less if you have kids...you really have to act now. There are special visas you can obtain if you are a victim of domestic violence or would be forced to re-immigrate to a country where you would be in grave danger but they are VERY hard to obtain and take months and months to process. If your husband is just a "jerk" but not in the violent sense they really won't care...millions of people divorce every year...it's just another check box to them.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 7,061 times
Thanks for your suggestion. I am going to do that. I don't have S.S.N. based on my visa status, so that I do not have any record of credit. I have joining account with my husband. I cannot work without S.S.N.. I can drive. Except I don't have job, I can do everything in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandh View Post
Fieldman,
Please start documenting everything. If your kids are going to be in this country it is very well possible that a good immigration attorney and divorce attorney can save you.
Start documenting and collecting proofs of anything that may help.
He sounds like a jerk... you may be better off without him. But be strong for yourself and your kids. Contact lawyers .. You may be even able to pay in small installments. Contact the agency that testmo suggested.
There is no way anyone will ask you to leave your kids and go. But you need a good lawyer.

Do you have good credit? Bank account ? Job ? Can you drive ? >> how independent are you at this point?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 AM

86 posts, read 250,030 times
It is not clear what your visa status is. If you are canadian resident you can get some sort of wor permit here. Or so i think. In any case why did you not get a dependent visa when your husband got a job... That way you can get ssn. Like others mentioned get an immigration lawyer now.. Call today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston